Going to build a TrueNas Core system using an old PC. 3rd gen i5, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, and a 3TB WD Red drive good enough?

Namija

Budget (including currency): Unlimited (up to $100 tbh)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: TrueNas

Mainly just want some pointers on building a new TrueNAS system. Im brand new to all this so if there's any tips/tricks you could tell me, please do!

Basically, I just want something to perform backups that are not on my main rig. I have all my super pertinent files on Google drive and I have a BackBlaze subscription, but that's hardly the 123 rules. 

Specs: 3rd gen i5, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 3TB WD Red drive (1). 

Might add another drive later.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that system should work fine. I'm guessing you have those parts already, and in that case just install and see how it goes.

Thanks!

And yeah, I have the system already. About to install TrueNAS to a small SSD I have and use the HDD as the backup 

10 minutes ago, Namija said:

Thanks!

And yeah, I have the system already. About to install TrueNAS to a small SSD I have and use the HDD as the backup 

You can mirror the os with the USB storage at the sametime when you Install it on the SSD, I'm doing that.

English is not my first language, and grammatical errors do exist.

Recent upgrade:CPU:AMD 5600 out AMD 7600 in, MB:ROG B450-F out MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI in,

Memory:16gX2 3200mhz out 16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz in,

DESKTOP:

CPU:AMD 7600,GPU:TUF 4090 OG OC,MB:MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI,Memory:16gX2 Acer Vesta II 6000MHz,Storage:2TB sn850+7.68TB CD6+4TB Acer GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

Case:P400A,PSU:Cooler Master V850 Gold V2,CPU cooler:assassin spirit 120,Monitor:MSI MAG274QRF-QD+neo g7+AOC CU34G2XP,

Mouse:G PRO,Keyboard:G915 TKL,

MOBILE:

LAPTOP:thinkbook 14+(7840H+32G ram),Mouse:MX anywhere 2s,4TB GM7000 with thunderbolt SSD enclosure,

IPAD:PRO12.9 (M1+16GB RAM)

PHONE:iphone 14 pro,oppo find N3.DAP:sony zx100, sony zx507.

AUDIO:

wireless:airpods pro2,sony xm4,

wired:jvc fx1100,audio technica IM02,audio technica IM04,sony mdr-1a,

NAS:

CPU:i5 4690,MB:asus z97-k,Memory:8gX2 ddr3,Storage:250GB ssdX2 raid for boot,10X10TB HDD raid z2,HBA card, 2.5g NIC,