[Dr. Cutress weighs in] The Problem with Tech Media: Ego, Dogmatism, and Cult of Personality

swimtome
4 hours ago, VicBar said:

I am 49 min in (where's the watering hole?) I will finish the video.

So far... Dr. Cutress talk a big game about analyzing language and psychology, well he was getting emotional talking about Steve and said "You" then stuttered and say "He". He felt he was talking to Steve directly right there. He also said "as someone who has actually done investigative journalism".

The snide remark on GN never having done "actual" investigative journalism is insane. I wonder if it slipped him or it was intentional. I will go back and look for the timestamps when I'm done. Just saying he's not as objective as he might think he is. No one is. We CAN'T be objective. So criticizing GN for that while recording his video like this? The pot calling the kettle black.

Another point is when he mentions how Steve sort of "degraded" The Head of Labs by just referring  to him as an old marketinglead.. He explains how The Head of Labs used to have HIS old job at Anandtech.. And is so hurtful and infuriated by that assumption to The Head of Labs but... it really comes off as personal.. as if he doesn't realize he's taken it as an attack at his credentials.

Anyway, I'll keep watching and come back with timestamps in.... like an hour...

I dont think ian claimed this video to be an investigstive journalism piece. I think from the very beginning he made it clear this is an opinion piece.

5 hours ago, Erioch said:

I should be a medal for watching the whole thing.

I watched it at 2x only way I was getting through it

2 hours ago, Waifu4Life said:
Stopped watching the video at the Madison part. Listen and Believe, are we back in 2016 or something? I really shouldn't be surprised with such a response coming from someone who lives in a country where 7 police officers dragged a 16 yo autistic girl from her home for a "hate crime". Thank God for the Depp v. Heard public court case, with that, everyone got to see that a woman can lie and hurt for her own benefit and at the expense of others.

I dont think thats what he means. He is talking about it in the context of the time between her and their response. While we wait for his response, we shouldnt downplay what she said, as it can put an extreme mental toll on her well being, if everything turns out to be true. 

We should be supportive, but not praying for the downfall of LMG, rather demanding answers.

I made some comments on the video in the comments section, but it's total trash. He says it's an unbiased video when 3/4 of it is taking down GN, giving Linus the benefit of the doubt, assuming he knows what Linus was thinking, while giving Steve none of the same deference. Really huge waste of time watching it.

One thing that was mentioned was leaked audio from a board meeting after she left? 

Why would that be recorded and how/who was it leaked. 

Not sure if he mentioned it or was in another thread but seems incredible that was a disaster waiting to happen from the outset the way it was handled in so many areas.

The oddest part of the video for me was the part  (~42 min) where Ian is accusing Steve of lying based on a couple seconds of Steve's nervous smile.

There ARE written journalism guidelines (Link) and additionally, most media outlets have their own specific ones. Even then, major media outlets can struggle with these types of issues because many of them are NOT black and white.

See the NYT issues which caused their opinion editor to resign (Link) and the Elizabeth Holmes interview which drew industry backlash (Link)

29 minutes ago, Multi_Level_Model said:

I watched it at 2x only way I was getting through it

Does anyone watch YouTube videos are normal speed? The lowest I will go is 1.5X

-= Locked =-

This topic already exists please continue there.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER