Weird high power supply temperatures

Muffinizedz

Hey, I've recently turned my Server PC into a desktop regular PC. I changed out the power supply because the one one was 550W and couldn't support the RTX 3070 that I installed. Therefore, I installed a 750W Corsair RM750. 

Today I decided to check my temperatures and saw that "AUXTIN1" (which is power supply temperature) was at a worrying 95C. The other 2 psu sensors are below 20C which is even more perplexing.

My SS vvvvvvvvvv

image.thumb.png.5c94cfaae9f6cee29015c45645bcedb0.png

Can someone tell me why this is? My other temps are just fine, and because this is really high temps I'm kinda nervous my psu is gonna die spectacularly 

2 minutes ago, Muffinizedz said:

"AUXTIN1" (which is power supply temperature)

Your power supply has no data lines coming out of it to connect it to motherboard sensor chip. That is NOT what that is.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Your power supply has no data lines coming out of it to connect it to motherboard sensor chip. That is NOT what that is.

My bad lol, can u tell me what that is then xd? The reason I'm concerned is because it actually fluctuates a bit, so it must be connected to something??? idk 

Just now, Muffinizedz said:

My bad lol, can u tell me what that is then xd

I cant other than there arent many components on a motherboard that can hit 95c. Motherboard VRMs could be it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

What the mainboard manual says?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

17 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Just read it, cant find any mention of it.

Z390 Steel Legend has a pretty poor VRM. What exact CPU is on the motherboard?

1 hour ago, Muffinizedz said:

Hey, I've recently turned my Server PC into a desktop regular PC. I changed out the power supply because the one one was 550W and couldn't support the RTX 3070 that I installed. Therefore, I installed a 750W Corsair RM750. 

Today I decided to check my temperatures and saw that "AUXTIN1" (which is power supply temperature) was at a worrying 95C. The other 2 psu sensors are below 20C which is even more perplexing.

My SS vvvvvvvvvv

image.thumb.png.5c94cfaae9f6cee29015c45645bcedb0.png

Can someone tell me why this is? My other temps are just fine, and because this is really high temps I'm kinda nervous my psu is gonna die spectacularly 

That is PSU temps if the PSU has like something to check temps, it does have a temp sensor but I don't know if that connects to the motherboard somehow. This reading is most likely wrong, you can check if the PSU is hot to the touch or when you see this happen see if the PSU fan is running.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I cant other than there arent many components on a motherboard that can hit 95c. Motherboard VRMs could be it.

1 hour ago, mMontana said:

56 minutes ago, Muffinizedz said:

Just read it, cant find any mention of it.

6 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Z390 Steel Legend has a pretty poor VRM. What exact CPU is on the motherboard?

AUXTIN is PSU temp, google before saying something.image.png.f948c1785d6b4c85ccd7cd06aed0a6e7.pngimage.png.d97b7ba2c16daef418b32cc68468a7fd.png

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

That software reports 3 AUXTIN values.

I doubt that might be in closed distance inside the metal case of the PSU.

Also, except the data connection for 12 pin graphics card adapter, AFAIK there's no data exchange from PSU to mainboard or viceversa. Only electrical connection.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

11 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

AUXTIN is PSU temp, google before saying something.

Surely there is wireless communication between PSU and the motherboard right? LMAO. Surely a google search provides the correct answer every time right?

22 minutes ago, Levent said:

Surely there is wireless communication between PSU and the motherboard right? LMAO. Surely a google search provides the correct answer every time right?

I showed you two sources, I can get more. Where is your evidence that this is not a thing, maybe this PSU does NOT have a connected temp sensor thats why it's showing random stuff which the second image said.
image.png.0feff41eb1a286e89cbb98e9a727884b.pngimage.png.0432b9ba55523b87423359e8ae27c7ff.pngimage.png.cc1bd45a2da0e253356d7341197cc68f.pngimage.png.a854c4ea826c465644e394d69cbfc22b.png
I have four more sources, still wrong? I have 5 sources and Tom's Hardware is a reputable source too. Please give me 2 sources that say AUXTIN is not a PSU temp sensor.

image.png

My First PC

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

I showed you two sources, I can get more. Where is your evidence that this is not a thing, maybe this PSU does NOT have a connected temp sensor thats why it's showing random stuff which the second image said.
image.png.a854c4ea826c465644e394d69cbfc22b.png
I have four more sources, still wrong? I have 5 sources and Tom's Hardware is a reputable source too. Please give me 2 sources that say AUXTIN is not a PSU temp sensor.

Spoiler

atx-24-pin.thumb.webp.3b59b4734b395b1f5b076b5d59920749.webpimage.png.1d36dd4d92bc61aa22ced8b6663ed1b1.png

Would you please in your infinite google wisdom show me which one of these pins are used for data communication between PSU and motherboard? Dude you have NO CLUE about anything you are talking about here.

28 minutes ago, Levent said:
  Reveal hidden contents

atx-24-pin.thumb.webp.3b59b4734b395b1f5b076b5d59920749.webpimage.png.1d36dd4d92bc61aa22ced8b6663ed1b1.png

Would you please in your infinite google wisdom show me which one of these pins are used for data communication between PSU and motherboard? Dude you have NO CLUE about anything you are talking about here.

IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE WITH PINS IT COULD BE IN THE ACTUAL CABLES. Can you please tell me what AUXTIN is otherwise?

My First PC

10 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE WITH PINS IT COULD BE IN THE ACTUAL CABLES. Can you please tell me what AUXTIN is otherwise?

THEN SHOW ME THE CABLE, SHOW ME HOW PSU IS ABLE TO CONNECT WITH MOTHERBOARD AND CARRY TEMPERATURE SENSOR DATA. THE PSU OP HAS NO DATA OUTPUT OR INPUT CAPABILITIES.

AUXTIN stands for Auxillary Temperature Input, NOTHING ELSE, IT CAN BE ANY SENSOR CONNECTED TO CHIP ON THE MOTHERBOARD.

You are absolutely clueless and have no clue how stupid that post sounds by the way.

5 hours ago, Muffinizedz said:

There is no way for the motherboard to get any info from the PSU, other than the PWR_OK signal, which just lets the motherboard know that the PSU is supplying power safely. It's just a motherboard VRM temperature sensor, and all of them are just sending bad data. No part of your PC is going to be at below ambient temperature.

4 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

That is PSU temps if the PSU has like something to check temps, it does have a temp sensor but I don't know if that connects to the motherboard somehow. This reading is most likely wrong, you can check if the PSU is hot to the touch or when you see this happen see if the PSU fan is running.

It's not a PSU temperature sensor. The only info the PSU sends to the motherboard is the Power Good signal, which just lets the motherboard know that the PSU is supplying voltages within spec.

4 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

AUXTIN is PSU temp, google before saying something.

How about you just click the link and read context instead of doing Buzzfeed levels of research...?

CPUTIN is CPU temperature index, AUXTIN is auxiliary temperature index, and SYSTIN is system temperature index. These are all sensors on the motherboard. AUXTIN is the power supply temperature sensor, and SYSTIN measures motherboard temperature. Core temperature is different from CPUTIN as it reads from a sensor on your CPU.

https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/advanced-lm-sensors-tips-and-tricks-linux-0/

From the context, it's obvious that the writer chose to use "power supply" to refer to the motherboard VRM, you know, the part of the motherboard that supplies power to the CPU and other components. It's not the wording people usually use in a PC context, but it's still clear and it's obvious what they're referring to when you read the context surrounding the sentence.

3 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

See above for the Linux article. Random forum posts are obviously not useful places to try and dig up information. They could be just as clueless as you, and also spread misinformation that they got by not reading the context around a sentence they got from Google.

I can do just the same thing as you, just look. A screenshot of a Google result, completely out of context that proves that the earth is about 6000 years old. 😱

image.png.771d2227f2a6905390d56ab55c7df317.png

https://realfaith.com/what-christians-believe/old-earth/

Now, if you actually click the link, you'll see that that quote is horribly out of context, and the website does not argue that the earth is about 6000 years old.

I have four more sources, still wrong? I have 5 sources and Tom's Hardware is a reputable source too.

Yes, still wrong. The THW forums are not THW, and is just as useless for information as yourself. It's not about the number of sources, especially when you're trying to take them out of context to say something that they don't.

Please give me 2 sources that say AUXTIN is not a PSU temp sensor.

Here is Intel's power supply design guide.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/design-guides/resellers-power-supply-design-guide-changes.pdf

You can check for yourself that AUXTIN is not a thing related to the PSU, and tables 4-1 to 4-8 give the pinouts for each connector.

In your mind, does each wire in each cable not connect to a specific pin...? 

3 hours ago, Levent said:

THE PSU OP HAS NO DATA OUTPUT OR INPUT CAPABILITIES.

Technically, the PSU receives data input through the PS_ON pin to indicate that it should be on, and the PSU sends the PWR_OK signal to the motherboard to indicate that it's supplying power. But no temperature data for sure.

4 hours ago, mMontana said:

Also, except the data connection for 12 pin graphics card adapter, AFAIK there's no data exchange from PSU to mainboard or viceversa. Only electrical connection.

That's technically data, but all the pins do is connect to ground or not. Depending on which pins connect to ground, the graphics card knows how much power the PSU is able to supply. It's just the same as the 8 pin PCIe connector adding two ground pins (compared to the 6 pin PCIe connector) to indicate that the PSU is able to supply 150W instead of 75W.

:)

o mb

My First PC