Peerless Assassin 120 PWM fans not working as PWM?

cifroes

I bought a Peerless Assassin 120 that comes with 2 fans that are supposed to be PWM but when I connected them (mobo: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS) it seems I can't configure their speed on the BIOS to be less than 50% and even at 50% they are always reporting to be running at 1500rpm. They seem to just always run at full speed.

I tried debugging them by connecting to the chassis fan and it's the same if I choose PWM. If I select to control them as DC then I can lower their speed and see lower RPM from them. The motherboard doesn't allow to select DC/PWM for CPU fans. The fans are connected directly to the mobo.

Is this a faulty product or mobo not working properly with them or any other idea? 

Are you using a static fan speed setting or a fan curve?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you using a static fan speed setting or a fan curve?

I'm setting a fan curve on BIOS but the lowest setting it allows to do is 50% of fan speed which I also find a bit odd.  either way the fan seems to always be at 100% and not following my 'curve'.

11 minutes ago, cifroes said:

I'm setting a fan curve on BIOS but the lowest setting it allows to do is 50% of fan speed which I also find a bit odd.  either way the fan seems to always be at 100% and not following my 'curve'.

Try setting a static fan speed.

What sensor is the fan following and what temperature is that sensor at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Almost sounds like the BIOS is at fault.... which headers have you tried?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 8/21/2023 at 10:53 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Try setting a static fan speed.

What sensor is the fan following and what temperature is that sensor at?

it's using the cpu temp, I think I can't actually change that. 

A static fan speed of 20,50 or 100% results in the same thing: 1500rpm.

I tried connecting a noctua fan to the CPU header and it seems to perform correctly, stopping the fan, reducing the rpm and all that. Faulty fans?

On 8/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, RevGAM said:

Almost sounds like the BIOS is at fault.... which headers have you tried?

Tried it on chassis fan header and cpu fan header with the same results. On the chassis I can set the fan to DC mode and I can control it's speed that way.

I'd contact Thermalright.

They might have received/shipped wrong fans.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

I'd contact Thermalright.

They might have received/shipped wrong fans.

they do have 4 pins, it just that they seem to work or be properly managed by the motherboard (is that even possible?)

PWM stand for pulse width modulation. Depending on the width of the single pulse, the fan should be slow, medium, or full bore.

Tachimetric fans change speed due to voltage change.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

1 hour ago, cifroes said:

I tried connecting a noctua fan to the CPU header and it seems to perform correctly, stopping the fan, reducing the rpm and all that. Faulty fans?

Seems like it.

So, do you have more problems in BIOS or in Windows? If the latter, what software do you have that could control it?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So, do you have more problems in BIOS or in Windows? If the latter, what software do you have that could control it?

In BIOS or in windows, controlling the fan doesn't seem to work. Whatever I do they are always at 1500 rpm.

In windows I'm using Asus fan Xpert 2. It has a 'fan tuning' mode that tests the fan and it basically says the fan is always at 1500rpm, no matter the inputimage.thumb.png.78cd996cb6aaecf4d17d4113684d6a62.png

1 minute ago, cifroes said:

In BIOS or in windows, controlling the fan doesn't seem to work. Whatever I do they are always at 1500 rpm.

In windows I'm using Asus fan Xpert 2. It has a 'fan tuning' mode that tests the fan and it basically says the fan is always at 1500rpm, no matter the inputimage.thumb.png.78cd996cb6aaecf4d17d4113684d6a62.png

Did you use the awful Fan Xpert2 with the Noctua also?

5 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Did you use the awful Fan Xpert2 with the Noctua also?

any suggestion for other software to use?

yes:

image.thumb.png.d9abce225ab4c59bd569a289518a5e0c.png

Just now, cifroes said:

any suggestion for other software to use?

yes:

image.thumb.png.d9abce225ab4c59bd569a289518a5e0c.png

First, I'm wondering if perhaps a wire is not in contact with the contacts in the plug. I doubt it since you're having problems with more than one fan, right?

Gently push the wire into the plug and try it. Your fans are acting like 2 or 3-pin DC fans.  If that doesn't help, the fans are damaged and you should request replacements.

As for Fan Xpert2, it sucks, especially if you use auto-tune.  It is extremely hard to disable, even after turning it off in AAC. It may or may not show up in startups in the task manager, msconfig, etc. CCleaner can probably find it if it's not there.  If you need help disabling it, let me know. 

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

First, I'm wondering if perhaps a wire is not in contact with the contacts in the plug. I doubt it since you're having problems with more than one fan, right?

Gently push the wire into the plug and try it. Your fans are acting like 2 or 3-pin DC fans.  If that doesn't help, the fans are damaged and you should request replacements.

As for Fan Xpert2, it sucks, especially if you use auto-tune.  It is extremely hard to disable, even after turning it off in AAC. It may or may not show up in startups in the task manager, msconfig, etc. CCleaner can probably find it if it's not there.  If you need help disabling it, let me know. 

what software do you recommend to see fan speeds and adjust them?

I'm very much suspecting of a faulty fan, I'll see if I can try it out with other fans and see if it's mobo or fan problem.  The cooler comes with 2 fans and it also seem it's only 1 fan having this issue!

5 minutes ago, cifroes said:

what software do you recommend to see fan speeds and adjust them?

I'm very much suspecting of a faulty fan, I'll see if I can try it out with other fans and see if it's mobo or fan problem.  The cooler comes with 2 fans and it also seem it's only 1 fan having this issue!

Fan Control by RemOo.

You can monitor pretty much everything with many programs, but most people recommend HWInfo64.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:28 PM, RevGAM said:

Fan Control by RemOo.

You can monitor pretty much everything with many programs, but most people recommend HWInfo64.

This. Those two programs are the bees knees.

19 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

This. Those two programs are the bees knees.

I'm pretty sure I don't want bees knees. They look scary. 😄

On 8/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, cifroes said:

It sounds like you may have a bad fan, but many of the Asus motherboards I have used do not allow you set the PWM AND DC fan speeds too low in BIOS, but the Remoo Fan Control software seems to bypass the lower settings.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W