RTX 2080 TI KINGPIN not connecting properly in Windows 11, not sure if drivers issue or damaged GPU

bcenator
Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,
19 minutes ago, bcenator said:

Including the rest of the LED values I see on the side of the GPU in case something looks off:

- GPU 0.80V, 46.0 C

- MEM 0.00V, 45.1 C

- BOARD 33.3W

- PWR 40.0 C

The fact that memory shows 0.00V should indicate that something is wrong with either the memory or the GPU.

Considering that your other posts show the code 43 error, it's the end of the line for that card. I'm sure it can be repaired but it would likely be quite costly.

Motherboard: ROG z390-E

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI KINGPIN

I acquired a build from a friend and did a fresh install of Windows 11. So far so good, except that the GPU simply is not outputting any signal on any of its ports, even though visually the hardware looks like it is running fine (LEDs light up, fans running, no water leaks, firmly inside PCIe slot), with non-zero values on things like water RPM that are displayed in the GPU's LED screen. I used DDU in Safe Mode to help do a clean install of the latest driver I found on nvidia.com here. I can confirm that after downloading this driver and checking Device Manager, I can see my GPU without error and what I believe to be the correct driver version.

image.png.f1baeabdfb773602e3cf0bee013b14af.png

My problem:

- The GPU ports still do not output any signal when plugged in.

- Applications like Nvidia Control Panel and Precision x1 do not open successfully (not even idling in system tray or applications manager), suggesting that some part of the connection to the GPU is still off.

Including the rest of the LED values I see on the side of the GPU in case something looks off:

- GPU 0.80V, 46.0 C

- MEM 0.00V, 45.1 C

- BOARD 33.3W

- PWR 40.0 C

I would like to ask for help on how to troubleshoot this or determine if there is a true hardware issue with the GPU. Apologies ahead of time that I am fairly inexperienced with PC building and might need extra explanation on how to do certain things. Thanks!

To add an additional observation, on reboot, the GPU shows code 43 in Device Manager despite having the latest driver version. This status goes away if I do a clean install of the driver again but the error code reappears on subsequent reboots anyways.

image.png.8b2454de1dcad9427dd87434a9556fb7.png

19 minutes ago, bcenator said:

- GPU 0.80V, 46.0 C

- MEM 0.00V, 45.1 C

- BOARD 33.3W

- PWR 40.0 C

The fact that memory shows 0.00V should indicate that something is wrong with either the memory or the GPU.

Considering that your other posts show the code 43 error, it's the end of the line for that card. I'm sure it can be repaired but it would likely be quite costly.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Not the outcome I was hoping for but agree with your reasoning. Thanks for the assessment!

3 hours ago, bcenator said:

Not the outcome I was hoping for but agree with your reasoning. Thanks for the assessment!

Long shot, but have you tried toggling the vBIOS dip switch?

Might also be worth it to make sure it's getting full power and that it's not the mobo slot.

If your friend will shoot straight with you, see if they'll tell you what they were doing with the card. Given it's a KP, you can run it right off the rails with the classy tool.

15 hours ago, OptimistPrime said:

Long shot, but have you tried toggling the vBIOS dip switch?

Thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? I'm fairly inexperienced with this.

15 hours ago, OptimistPrime said:

Might also be worth it to make sure it's getting full power and that it's not the mobo slot.

That's a good point, I would hate to get a new GPU and come to realize that the PCIe slot is actually the culprit here. I will check to see if I can move the GPU to another slot if there's one available later today.

I can verify that all of the power plugs are snugly placed into the hardware, so I can reasonably assume it is getting enough power (my friend used this build for many years so I have no doubt that the PSU is suitable). I'm not sure with how to interpret the voltage readings on the GPU's LED though... does 0.80V for the GPU seem right?

2 hours ago, bcenator said:

Thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? I'm fairly inexperienced with this.

That's a good point, I would hate to get a new GPU and come to realize that the PCIe slot is actually the culprit here. I will check to see if I can move the GPU to another slot if there's one available later today.

I can verify that all of the power plugs are snugly placed into the hardware, so I can reasonably assume it is getting enough power (my friend used this build for many years so I have no doubt that the PSU is suitable). I'm not sure with how to interpret the voltage readings on the GPU's LED though... does 0.80V for the GPU seem right?

Along the front edge of the card there will be a small switch that can move into 3 different positions. They can be flashed to just about anything, and given that it's a KP, there's a good chance it's not entirely stock.

The positions are stock, OC, and LN2. The true unlocked BIOS would have had to be provided by TiN / Vince. TiN's site (xdevs.com) should have some in depth info there. Not intending to advertise other forums, but the EVGA forum may be a good place to get help in this situation.

Which voltage readout is giving you .8?

7 minutes ago, OptimistPrime said:

Which voltage readout is giving you .8?

The side of the GPU has an LED screen that switches between different readings periodically. Since tools like Precision x1 and Nvidia Control Panel are not working (as mentioned in my original question), I've been relying on these numbers instead.

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, bcenator said:

The side of the GPU has an LED screen that switches between different readings periodically. Since tools like Precision x1 and Nvidia Control Panel are not working (as mentioned in my original question), I've been relying on these numbers instead.

image.jpeg

Gotcha, BIOS switch should be on the right side there. Keep in mind it's going to be really small.

@OptimistPrime I tried moving the GPU to another PCIe slot as well as toggle the BIOS switch, both did not resolve the issue. Thank you for the suggestions nonetheless!