Is the TP-Link Archer AX53 a good wifi 6 router? Help

Mahbub

I want to know 3 things about this router.

Does it have a Qualcomm processor or Mediatek?

Does it have mu mimo?

Is it a good wifi 6 router?

41 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Expressing personal opinion...

It's a TP-Link product, even for some sort of "high end" solution for that brand, means that budget is usually most considered skill from the company. Consider that is not that uncommon for TP-Link provide more products branded as the same model, differentiationg with "v2, v3" or similar at the end. Different versions have different hardware and different firmwares, leading "v2" to have shorter update lifespan compared to v3, or v4.

So... it's a cheap, but usally not that crappy wifi 6 router.

Multiple versions of the same product could lead to differences in specifics and hardware used. Considering that Qualcomm tend to have costier products than Mediatek, I find chinese brand of chips omre likely to be used by TP-Link, but take your time in verifications.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

57 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

I want to know 3 things about this router.

Does it have a Qualcomm processor or Mediatek?

Does it have mu mimo?

Not better than your old asus router again.

Its just a mediocre thing. Similar in quality to the asus that wasnt enough.

Your old router is still much better and as I said in the previous thread it is not limiting you in any way shape or form and wap3 is basically just marketing stuff since wap2 is only less secure in theory but in practice you arent breaking neither.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not better than your old asus router again.

Its just a mediocre thing. Similar in quality to the asus that wasnt enough.

Your old router is still much better and as I said in the previous thread it is not limiting you in any way shape or form and wap3 is basically just marketing stuff since wap2 is only less secure in theory but in practice you arent breaking neither.

it supports 160 mhz n all so got happy seeing this.. also wifi 6.. just confused if i should stick or upgrade 😞

19 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Expressing personal opinion...

It's a TP-Link product, even for some sort of "high end" solution for that brand, means that budget is usually most considered skill from the company. Consider that is not that uncommon for TP-Link provide more products branded as the same model, differentiationg with "v2, v3" or similar at the end. Different versions have different hardware and different firmwares, leading "v2" to have shorter update lifespan compared to v3, or v4.

So... it's a cheap, but usally not that crappy wifi 6 router.

Multiple versions of the same product could lead to differences in specifics and hardware used. Considering that Qualcomm tend to have costier products than Mediatek, I find chinese brand of chips omre likely to be used by TP-Link, but take your time in verifications.

this product seems to have only one version and one review said its qualcomm...

Could you please link the review?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

5 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

it supports 160 mhz n all so got happy seeing this.. also wifi 6.. just confused if i should stick or upgrade 😞

Is there a reason you REALLY want to upgrade? Like is there a need or is this just you want to because you want something new?

Is there a NEED for wifi 6 lan speeds?

Is this a wifi reach issue.

5 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

this product seems to have only one version and one review said its qualcomm...

Is there a reason you specifically need a qualcom?

Because if there is a specific need for a model with these features them sure I can find a couple quickly that'll do and arent shit but if its just upgrade because new tech shiny or something then juat ignore that need higher number isnt always better

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Is there a reason you REALLY want to upgrade? Like is there a need or is this just you want to because you want something new?

Is there a NEED for wifi 6 lan speeds?

Is this a wifi reach issue.

Is there a reason you specifically need a qualcom?

Because if there is a specific need for a model with these features them sure I can find a couple quickly that'll do and arent shit but if its just upgrade because new tech shiny or something then juat ignore

i just dont like mediatek ... want to avoid them.. and my reason to upgrade is not the speed,, its Wi-Fi6. OFDMA, QAM1024, 160 mhz channel or something.. these things.. altho i dont know what these things mean lol

Cons of this review:

• referred link under (product could be choosen for increase revenues for the site)
  • Qualcomm CPU not specified on the review, only reporting that is "similar to AX 55"
  • Neigher Acher AX 53 or AX 55 page mention Qualcomm CPU as feature (is not that meaningful: marketing could not consider that point meaningful for increase customers perception, i prefer Qualcomm products but I am not "common" consumer for these parts)

@Mahbub is that meaningful to you if the product has Qualcomm or Mediatek chips inside? 

Edit: just read the answer above.

Without official declaration from the producer (you can still ask via support channels to TP-Link) i don't think that is efficient find out "the hard way" if it's qualcomm-powered or not.

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Cons of this review:

• referred link under (product could be choosen for increase revenues for the site)
  • Qualcomm CPU not specified on the review, only reporting that is "similar to AX 55"
  • Neigher Acher AX 53 or AX 55 page mention Qualcomm CPU as feature (is not that meaningful: marketing could not consider that point meaningful for increase customers perception, i prefer Qualcomm products but I am not "common" consumer for these parts)

@Mahbub is that meaningful to you if the product has Qualcomm or Mediatek chips inside? 

yes i wanna strictly adhere to qualcomm.. and all of the affordable routers seem to have mediatek.. qualcomm ones are so damn expensive.. found this one but it seems its doubtful that its qualcomm as u said.. btw my old router is asus ac58u and that has qualcomm

11 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

i just dont like mediatek ... want to avoid them.. and my reason to upgrade is not the speed,, its Wi-Fi6. OFDMA, QAM1024, or something.. these things.. altho i dont know what these things mean lol

Ok so wifi 6 is basically just faster wifi 5. As in the LOCAL NETWORK can have higher speeds.

Since you only have 100mb/s you can literally use a 15 year old router that only does wireless n 133mb/s speed and you wont notice a single differenece :p.

Wifi 6 combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one. Wifi 5 has them split. In reality there is no difference here for devices except that well if your device doesnt have wifi 6 (which a lot do not) they can't communicate with the wifi 6 protocol and simply go back to an older one.

wifi 5 has them split but the router manages what goes where. With wifi 6 its just now 1 entry point that then decides to give you 2.4ghz or 5ghz instead of your router doing a very quick check between 2 options whats best. This also means you can no longer have 2 sperate networks if you wish that on 2.4ghz and 5ghz unless the router allows that modification.

Wifi 6 does have more bands available BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN ITS LESS CONGESTED. These still overlap with current wifi devices so in the real world this benefits little to nothing.

Mumimo is something it has basically boils down to multiple antenna's can be used to focus on a device thats it.

Odfma pretty much is just what if there can be a bunch of frequencies at the same time to find the best performance. Only worls on wifi 6 devices that support it

Qam1024. Pretty much just look higher number is possible but also higher number means overlapping and signals smashing into eachother is much more likely so this is often not used to the fullest as its not issue free

As for the processor. Its a router it literally can run whatever these all have a set end of life date no matter the chip in em sadly

Mediatek is used as well just another chip. Often qualcomm isnt since they ask a lot for their stuff whilst not reallt offering a benefit and making products needlessly expensive.

The real good network gear uses their own chips. Aka just licenced designs from arm. Since that allows them the most flexibility.

Like ubiquiti uses by now VERY old chips but they made their own which leada to them having the option to make the best possible equipment exactly to their need.

That and its a router. It needa very little computational power to do its job

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok so wifi 6 is basically just faster wifi 5. As in the LOCAL NETWORK can have higher speeds.

Since you only have 100mb/s you can literally use a 15 year old router that only does wireless n 133mb/s speed and you wont notice a single differenece :p.

Wifi 6 combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one. Wifi 5 has them split. In reality there is no difference here for devices except that well if your device doesnt have wifi 6 (which a lot do not) they can't communicate with the wifi 6 protocol and simply go back to an older one.

wifi 5 has them split but the router manages what goes where. With wifi 6 its just now 1 entry point that then decides to give you 2.4ghz or 5ghz instead of your router doing a very quick check between 2 options whats best. This also means you can no longer have 2 sperate networks if you wish that on 2.4ghz and 5ghz unless the router allows that modification.

Wifi 6 does have more bands available BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN ITS LESS CONGESTED. These still overlap with current wifi devices so in the real world this benefits little to nothing.

Mumimo is something it has basically boils down to multiple antenna's can be used to focus on a device thats it.

Odfma pretty much is just what if there can be a bunch of frequencies at the same time to find the best performance. Only worls on wifi 6 devices that support it

Qam1024. Pretty much just look higher number is possible but also higher number means overlapping and signals smashing into eachother is much more likely so this is often not used to the fullest as its not issue free

As for the processor. Its a router it literally can run whatever these all have a set end of life date no matter the chip in em sadly

is the security features alone worth upgrade..? the security is where my OCD is telling me to get a new router,, also a bit OCD that my pc and phone both have wifi 6 capability  but router is wifi 5, as for mu mimo.. the old asus has that.. m sure.. ac58u specs page says it has mu mimo

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

is the security features alone worth upgrade..? the security is where my OCD is telling me to get a new router, as for mu mimo.. the old asus has that.. m sure.. ac58u specs page says it has mu mimo

Nope not at all.

If you want better network security get a firewall or something.

Wap2 vs wap3 in real world atuff are just as secure.

There ya go mu mimo was optional for wifi 5 required for 6.

Like a ton of features 6 has were addons for 5 too

Wifi 6 is a MINIMUM spec badge. As i  it has all the features to qualify for wifi 6 AT LEAST.

There have been many times where older chipsest for wifi, blluetooth,... all had already so many addon features that they could turn into the new standard with a software update 😛

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Nope not at all.

If you want better network security get a firewall or something.

Wap2 vs wap3 in real world atuff are just as secure.

There ya go mu mimo was optional for wifi 5 required for 6.

Like a ton of features 6 has were addons for 5 too

Wifi 6 is a MINIMUM spec badge. As i  it has all the features to qualify for wifi 6 AT LEAST.

There have been many times where older chipsest for wifi, blluetooth,... all had already so many addon features that they could turn into the new standard with a software update 😛

so u say that i should stick to this asus one for sometime more haha? m confused i donno if i really need the upgrade or is it just my OCD speaking...

@Mahbub with all due respect.

OCD might be a powerful tool but also a heavy luggage; if your current router is:

• not missing some killer features that you already know you need or could improve a lot your performances (for example, shorter backup sessions duration...)
  • still supported by it's producer (providing updated/with security corrections firmware)
  • not affected by security vulnerabilities without mitigation or correction
  • still "enough" for your current use for range and features

change device might be a costly task without gaining any specific advantage... less than being OCD compliant.

And if this change will increase your quality of life anyway... take your time and look for the product that make you feel safer than now. Only believe than vulnberabilities... will happen. WPA2 is still largely used neverthless has some "incurable flaws" and WPA3 is not a de facto standard.

Tomorrow even WPA3 will be found lacking something, becase something "new" will be used as search path for problems (like speculative execution happended to be for CPUs of every architecture)

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

@Mahbub with all due respect.

OCD might be a powerful tool but also a heavy luggage; if your current router is:

• not missing some killer features that you already know you need or could improve a lot your performances (for example, shorter backup sessions duration...)
  • still supported by it's producer (providing updated/with security corrections firmware)
  • not affected by security vulnerabilities without mitigation or correction
  • still "enough" for your current use for range and features

change device might be a costly task without gaining any specific advantage... less than being OCD compliant.

And if this change will increase your quality of life anyway... take your time and look for the product that make you feel safer than now. Only believe than vulnberabilities... will happen. WPA2 is still largely used neverthless has some "incurable flaws" and WPA3 is not a de facto standard.

Tomorrow even WPA3 will be found lacking something, becase something "new" will be used as search path for problems (like speculative execution happended to be for CPUs of every architecture)

well my internet is just 100mbps lol..  i have clinical mental issues and ocd is one of them.. just that wifi 6 shiny logo lol...  tge ac58 i am using has mu mumo and a qualcomm proccy.. the two basic things which is must for me... now wap 3.. or 160mhz.. cant decide wheather these are worth for me or not

I like Qualcomm products too, I won't buy any android smartphone currently without a Qualcomm SoC. However, on network equipment, I am not that picky.

With "just" 100mbps and router used only for internet, any change of the current setup could be a "wasted money task", if your personal demon (just a pun) cannot be shut up effectively.

If you're in Europe, you can look for AVM (Fritz!) products. They are not cheap, company does not want that, however IMO they are a really good network equipment and is quite long time support (updates)

5 minutes ago, mMontana said:

I like Qualcomm products too, I won't buy any android smartphone currently without a Qualcomm SoC. However, on network equipment, I am not that picky.

With "just" 100mbps and router used only for internet, any change of the current setup could be a "wasted money task", if your personal demon (just a pun) cannot be shut up effectively.

If you're in Europe, you can look for AVM (Fritz!) products. They are not cheap, company does not want that, however IMO they are a really good network equipment and is quite long time support (updates)

i wish i was in europe lol, i am in india, and i am super picky when it comes to phones, i have s23 which is sd gen 2... i was not picky about router processor untill i bought a asus ax53u to get a taste of wifi 6, it was mediatek and the consistency was worse than the ond ac58u with qualcomm, which i am not back to,, after that i am now picky about routers too. basically wherever theres mediatek, unisoc or exynos, i am like no thanks.

1 hour ago, Mahbub said:

so u say that i should stick to this asus one for sometime more haha? m confused i donno if i really need the upgrade or is it just my OCD speaking...

Ocd speaking. Keep using it till it breaks

Do you even have wifi 6 devices 😛

Same with 160mhz band thats for like very very very very specific devices

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ocd speaking. Keep using it till it breaks

Do you even have wifi 6 devices 😛

Same with 160mhz band thats for like very very very very specific devices

I do haha i have samsung s23 and my pc has intel ax200 card.. both wifi 6....still think i should hold on to wifi 5 router? 😁

2 hours ago, Mahbub said:

I do haha i have samsung s23 and my pc has intel ax200 card.. both wifi 6....still think i should hold on to wifi 5 router? 😁

Yup since your devices wont run faster with the new one and well since you know what happens with a budget new one like the asus (and this tp link is similar quality) it will not improve anything

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Wifi 6 combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one.

I think you’re confusing this with MLO, a new feature which will be introduced on WiFi 7.

Currently, WiFi 6 and 6E can use 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz (the latter with WiFi 6E) independently. There is no band aggregation implemented for individual wireless clients.

Actually, if you’re coming from a WiFi 4 generation router, you’d see much more improvement in upgrading to WiFi 5 or better. Unless you live on a farm in the rural countryside where you don’t have to worry about your neighbours’ WiFi interference.

This also means you can no longer have 2 sperate networks if you wish that on 2.4ghz and 5ghz unless the router allows that modification.

I see people referring to 2.4GHz and 5GHz as “2 different networks”. This is incorrect unless, for some specific reason, you either have VLANs linked to certain bands or you’re running a very advanced WLAN setup.

On most wireless routers, the WLAN and LAN are bridged by default. So a client’s connection to either band takes them to the same network.

@Mahbub

To read more on WiFi features, see this article.

Additionally, at the end of the day, you’re going to do what you want to do even with all the presented facts. So spend the money on the TP-Link router and see how it performs. If you end up seeing a difference, then keep it. If not, then return it for a refund. It’s not that complicated.

BTW, WiFi 6/6E were just incremental upgrades over WiFi 5 wave 2 (wave 2 implemented MU-MIMO technology, IIRC). WiFi 7 is a much larger step with MLO, potential for real-world +1Gbps WLAN speeds, and 320MHz channel width support.

50 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I think you’re confusing this with MLO, a new feature which will be introduced on WiFi 7.

Currently, WiFi 6 and 6E can use 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz (the latter with WiFi 6E) independently. There is no band aggregation implemented for individual wireless clients.

Actually, if you’re coming from a WiFi 4 generation router, you’d see much more improvement in upgrading to WiFi 5 or better. Unless you live on a farm in the rural countryside where you don’t have to worry about your neighbours’ WiFi interference.

I see people referring to 2.4GHz and 5GHz as “2 different networks”. This is incorrect unless, for some specific reason, you either have VLANs linked to certain bands or you’re running a very advanced WLAN setup.

On most wireless routers, the WLAN and LAN are bridged by default. So a client’s connection to either band takes them to the same network.

@Mahbub

Additionally, at the end of the day, you’re going to do what you want to do even with all the presented facts. So spend the money on the TP-Link router and see how it performs. If you end up seeing a difference, then keep it. If not, then return it for a refund. It’s not that complicated.

BTW, WiFi 6/6E were just incremental upgrades over WiFi 5 wave 2 (wave 2 implemented MU-MIMO technology, IIRC). WiFi 7 is a much larger step with MLO, potential for real-world +1Gbps WLAN speeds, and 320MHz channel width support.

cant afford a wifi 6e or 7 now.. i have a wifi 5 router, Asus AC53u

51 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Mahbub

my speed is 100mbps and i use wifi5, my only reason for upgrading was wap3 and those fancy things like 160mhz n all.. but it seems at my speed.. its not much worth upgrading