Floatplane DOES NOT provide users with better audio quality

AHPanda
Go to solution Solved by Divritenis,

Seems that audio does indeed differ from FP to YT. From YT I can download 48kHz stream that essentially has no LPF. 44.1kHz stream has LPF at around 16kHz. FP is around 14.4kHz, same as in the reddit post.

FP

image.thumb.png.87a140af952d9a355de491612ef4b6ff.png

YT

image.thumb.png.cbc2840a1e952e964b5d800a3eb83bf6.png

Luke and his team should look into this. I'm not going to brand this as lying, probably more like something that has changed since initial comments on WAN about it. 

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Use your ears...?

I'm currently listening on Bluetooth headphones, which introduces a bunch of variables, can't really do a proper comparison, I should be able to view the waveforms soon though, currently compiling the software for it.

1 minute ago, RamblingPenguin said:

I'm currently listening on Bluetooth headphones, which introduces a bunch of variables, can't really do a proper comparison, I should be able to view the waveforms soon though, currently compiling the software for it.

Also this is a helpful website for comparing images if you're able to take screenshots of equal dimensions

https://imgsli.com/

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, DoctaJones81 said:

but instead email floatplane support and see what details they can/will provide.

So that they can sweep it under the rug?

1 minute ago, AHPanda said:

It is reactive, because it's true. Even if this is a genuine change on their part it doesn't change the fact consumers pay for better quality. Thus, it needs to be adressed.

I agree it should be addressed, but FFS the framing of "another lie exposed" is just asking for mudslinging and pitchforks. The recent videos refer to "higher quality" audio and video vs youtube, which is still true, if not super high. And the only time Linus specified numbers regarding the streaming was long before this change may have happened, from what I understand there aren't any marketing promises around exact bitrates. 

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

Also this is a helpful website for comparing images if you're able to take screenshots of equal dimensions

2 minutes ago, RamblingPenguin said:

Glad you guys are investigating it yourself. Looking forward to the results.

Just now, AHPanda said:

So that they can sweep it under the rug?

Is there a reason you assume that they'd do so? From my experience, the Floatplane team has given me no reason to believe they'd be malicious.

1 minute ago, CodeSlinger said:

I agree it should be addressed, but FFS the framing of "another lie exposed" is just asking for mudslinging and pitchforks. The recent videos refer to "higher quality" audio and video vs youtube, which is still true, if not super high. And the only time Linus specified numbers regarding the streaming was long before this change may have happened, from what I understand there aren't any marketing promises around exact bitrates. 

Fair arguments. I've edited the title.

1 minute ago, DoctaJones81 said:

Is there a reason you assume that they'd do so? From my experience, the Floatplane team has given me no reason to believe they'd be malicious.

Given current circumstances? I wouldn't rule it out, no.

2 minutes ago, AHPanda said:

Given current circumstances? I wouldn't rule it out, no.

What about the current circumstances makes you think Floatplane would ignore your support query?

Almost as cool as my temps  

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

What about the current circumstances makes you think Floatplane would ignore your support query?

Because right now, the company's on fire and they don't know which fire to put out first.

There is a real possibility they'll acknowledge it and put it on the back-burner until they have time to fix it.

And we know what happens when they put stuff on the bottom of the list, it may end up on an auction... /s

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

If anything, I think "current circumstances" would lead you to getting an even more detailed and thought out response than you might have even a few days ago.

2 minutes ago, DoctaJones81 said:

If anything, I think "current circumstances" would lead you to getting an even more detailed and thought out response than you might have even a few days ago.

And would you think they'd be happy to admit to another issue in regards to their products? Who's to say they'll just give you a basic reply going "we'll look into it" and then ignore it? They got bigger fish to fry at LMG at the moment.

And would you think they'd be happy to admit to another issue in regards to their products? Who's to say they'll just give you a basic reply going "we'll look into it" and then ignore it? They got bigger fish to fry at LMG at the moment.

The Labs and HR team have bigger fish to fry, yes. Floatplane is for all intents and purposes a separate business entity. 

Why not give it a try and contact them? If they ignore you, you can come back here and make a post about it.

Almost as cool as my temps  

I'm merely going to suggest that instead of you assuming LMG has another issue, maybe you give them an opportunity to give you feedback. Feel free to post what you send and receive so we can all evaluate it as well!

Additionally, I've not found on my listening/viewing setups any reason to be disappointed with the quality provided me as a FP sub, so I'm not inclined to escalate this into "got 'em" territories. So, I'll disengage now and go back to being a quiet observer.

25 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I downloaded both files and exported the same frame from both files: https://imgsli.com/MTk5MzA2 

Also, I don't think I can make a comparison of the audio, youtube encodes in 44.1khz and fp in 48khz , and the software I'm using can't analyze between bitrates. 

It feels like this was posted just to pile on.  Should've taken it directly to support.

2 hours ago, AHPanda said:

Also, they don't charge VAT (which is mandatory) on Floatplane subscriptions in Europe.

I started reading the guys post because I was curious...I think he must have downloaded the Floatplane clip wrong or something seems highly suspicious about how he's analyzing things.

His claims is that the Floatplane 1080p clip ran at 1,093 kb/s...that's quite low, especially if it's using a crf it would be noticeable in videos.  Given that I haven't really seen too many people complaining I think that he might have messed up how he downloaded the floatplane clips

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

7 minutes ago, RamblingPenguin said:

I downloaded both files and exported the same frame from both files: https://imgsli.com/MTk5MzA2 

Also, I don't think I can make a comparison of the audio, youtube encodes in 44.1khz and fp in 48khz , and the software I'm using can't analyze between bitrates. 

Man, uh, that's is an underwhelming quality difference lol. Practically unnoticeable to anyone unless you're watching videos side by side.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Man, uh, that's is an underwhelming quality difference lol. Practically unnoticeable to anyone unless you're watching videos side by side.

A frame where someone is just talking, and with a solid background doesn't really mean much.  Motion and random noise is what are distinguishers for that.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Seems that audio does indeed differ from FP to YT. From YT I can download 48kHz stream that essentially has no LPF. 44.1kHz stream has LPF at around 16kHz. FP is around 14.4kHz, same as in the reddit post.

FP

YT

Luke and his team should look into this. I'm not going to brand this as lying, probably more like something that has changed since initial comments on WAN about it. 

6 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Yeah, I wish I could compare a motion shot from somewhere, but since pretty much all of their yt vids have ads, it's pretty hard to get a frame-by-frame comparison.

12 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I started reading the guys post because I was curious...I think he must have downloaded the Floatplane clip wrong or something seems highly suspicious about how he's analyzing things.

His claims is that the Floatplane 1080p clip ran at 1,093 kb/s...that's quite low, especially if it's using a crf it would be noticeable in videos.  Given that I haven't really seen too many people complaining I think that he might have messed up how he downloaded the floatplane clips

yeah it's a bit of a nothing post. It seems like they know enough to be dangerous but they haven't actually showed how they came to their results. What their download commands are, whether they downloaded the file from floatplane or used youtubedl for that too. They are also comparing bitrates of different codecs as if they are like for like. 

It would be a pretty stupid thing to lie about, especially as it could be checked so easily. 

It seems like they are just jumping on the bandwagon at the moment. 

1 minute ago, jkirkcaldy said:

yeah it's a bit of a nothing post. It seems like they know enough to be dangerous but they haven't actually showed how they came to their results. What their download commands are, whether they downloaded the file from floatplane or used youtubedl for that too.

It would be a pretty stupid thing to lie about, especially as it could be checked so easily. 

It seems like they are just jumping on the bandwagon at the moment. 

Not lying, check above post from @Divritenis

7 minutes ago, Divritenis said:

FP

YT

Server infrastructure and configuration can get messy and technical issues are very likely. Their comments about it not costing much to have better audio quality is 100% accurate and I do not think the amount they would save by making it not better that YouTube would be worth it. 

If they are struggling enough to cut back on one of their key selling points for floatplane when it’s this inexpensive of a feature the platform is in more trouble than I thought. 

Not lying, check above post from @Divritenis

again, there is no information about how they downloaded it etc.