Heating Issue

_GLADIATOR
Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
20 minutes ago, _GLADIATOR said:

I've recently upgraded my rig by installing rx6600 and installed AIO for CPU which is Cooler master ML240 Argb V2 but still getting 60-65+ °C, I've even installed radiator at top not in the bottom or front, any idea what might be causing these temps ?

BTW, I'm using a Ryzen  5 3500 (6C6T) (@Base)

Check your fan curve settings, also make sure the pump runs at full speed. Depending on the your case and how it's set up with all the other components, those temps are not that bad, not amazing either but nothing to worry about either. 

I've recently upgraded my rig by installing rx6600 and installed AIO for CPU which is Cooler master ML240 Argb V2 but still getting 60-65+ °C, I've even installed radiator at top not in the bottom or front, any idea what might be causing these temps ?

20 minutes ago, _GLADIATOR said:

Check your fan curve settings, also make sure the pump runs at full speed. Depending on the your case and how it's set up with all the other components, those temps are not that bad, not amazing either but nothing to worry about either. 

6 hours ago, tkitch said:

temps being in the mid-60s under load is a great temp for pretty much any chip.

What's the issue, exactly?

I thought after installing aio I'd get 40-45 °C but it's still 60-65 °C that's it. I mean there isn't any problem exactly, I was just a bit confused I guess that's all

8 minutes ago, _GLADIATOR said:

I thought after installing aio I'd get 40-45 °C but it's still 60-65 °C that's it. I mean there isn't any problem exactly, I was just a bit confused I guess that's all

you won't get 40's under load, unless you're doing something exotic.  

Temps are normal.

Moved to Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:56 AM, _GLADIATOR said:

Here are some questions:

1. What case do you have? Setup?
  2. What fans do you have and in what positions? Intake or exhaust?
  3. Have you tried the AIO on the front? If so, intake or exhaust? How are the pump and rad situated?
  4. Are those temps while idle? If not, what are you doing?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 8/18/2023 at 3:49 PM, _GLADIATOR said:

You are running into our friend Thermodynamics.

Heat will only transfer so fast from the transistors to the surface of the chip, then through the TIM between the chip and the heat spreader, then through the heat spreader, then through the TIM between the heat spreader and cold plate, then through the cold plate and finally into the coolant.

Basically what you are seeing is that as you increase heat production in a small area, the heat can’t travel fast enough through all the layers for the heat source to stay near ambient, even if the cooling capacity is there.

Consequently, this is why extreme OC guys delid the chip and then pour liquid nitrogen directly on it.

Just now, Whatisthis said:

You are running into our friend Thermodynamics.

Heat will only transfer so fast from the transistors to the surface of the chip, then through the TIM between the chip and the heat spreader, then through the heat spreader, then through the TIM between the heat spreader and cold plate, then through the cold plate and finally into the coolant.

Basically what you are seeing is that as you increase heat production in a small area, the heat can’t travel fast enough through all the layers for the heat source to stay near ambient, even if the cooling capacity is there.

Consequently, this is why extreme OC guys delid the chip and then pour liquid nitrogen directly on it.

And here I thought they used peppermint oil! 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

8 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Here are some questions:

1. What case do you have? Setup?
  2. What fans do you have and in what positions? Intake or exhaust?
  3. Have you tried the AIO on the front? If so, intake or exhaust? How are the pump and rad situated?
  4. Are those temps while idle? If not, what are you doing?

Hey,

1. I have a "CHIPTRONEX Ghost GNX100 Mid Tower" case.IMG_20230822_234738.thumb.jpg.53fc921bb2bc37dd3bfae251601b6b89.jpg

2. For the radiator it's default from cooler master (120mm) which is mounted on top as exhaust, 2 at the front as intake, and 1 in the back as exhaust. (See below attached images for reference)

3. NO, I haven't tried mounting the radiator in front cause there isn't room to mount it (and the rest I don't understand after the comma).

4. Yes, those temps are while idle. (I used "core temp" soft* to check)

IMG_20230822_234815.jpg

IMG_20230822_234805.jpg

IMG_20230822_234752.jpg

IMG_20230822_235333.jpg

IMG_20230822_234810.jpg

Helpful photos, thanks!

1. The intake grill is clogged with dust and hair. You need to keep that unobstructed, so please clean it when the PC is off (so it doesn't suck dust in).
  2. Open it up and inspect the fans for dust buildup. Clean off any buildup.
  3. You're venting your hot air onto the back of your monitor, which may adversely affect it (not sure).
  4. The case is specifically designed to allow the AIO to be mounted on top or in the front. You'd have to swap the fans and AIOs. If you want to do this, put the AIO on intake and the fans on exhaust duty. The case isn't exactly the best for cooling down a hot computer, which may be contributing. If you swap, you may have to change the pump head orientation on the CPU. For this, you'll need some thermal compound (paste or pad). Most current versions from a lot of brands are very good, but you could look at Honeywell PTM7950 (thick) and PTM-7950-SP (liquid). There are LOTS of choices that are within a few degrees of this one, so choose what's recent and inexpensive if you're on a budget. Note that you should put the PTM7950 (not -SP) into the freezer to make it easy to cut and place on the CPU, otherwise it'll be too gooey. I'm not sure which orientation of the tubes will work best for you so:
    If the radiator inlet & outlet are at the bottom (on the front), then you should have the tubes coming out of the head at the top. If the tubes are too short, then have them come out the right side.
    If, on the other hand, you position the portals on the rad at the top (on the front), then have the tubes on the head pointing down or, if it won't reach, on the right side.
  5. 60-65C while idle seems a bit much to me. Since you didn't state that it was idle temp, everyone assumed loaded temp, which makes sense since that's high unless your room is hot (no A/C)...? What is it like when you're doing something demanding?
  6. Did you follow @Applefreak's instructions?

Other possibilties include getting stronger fans, which usually means more noise. There are some strong fans out there that are both cheap and reliable, but there are others that are expensive and reliable. For the AIO, choose something with high static pressure (SP) and airflow (AF) but if it doesn't list the SP, assume that it's low and avoid it. If you're buying better exhaust fans, though, all you really need to worry about is the AF unless there's a filter/mesh on the exhaust ports.

Any questions?

On 8/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, Applefreak said:

Yeah, I've checked fan curve all the fans they are running at their full speed

Oh, idle temps…case airflow problem. You have your front intake practically covered by boxes and the mesh is full of dust. That’s the biggest issue.

Do what @RevGAM said. That advice is spot on.