How to permanently disable Windows 11 Efficiency mode?

So I just finished setting up my new PC, installed all the latest Windows 11 updates and I noticed my web browsers (chrome and edge) were both running slow AF.  I go into task manager and I see a new "feature" has been added that I didn't notice before from my previous PC using Win 10, "efficiency mode".  Apparently, despite being on a desktop, set to high performance mode, no shortage of RAM or CPU resources, Windows 11 keeps putting all my browser processes into "efficiency mode" which sets them to resource priority.  Turning this feature off (which you can only do one process at a time) only turns it off for less than a minute before Windows 11 decides it knows better than you and turns it back on.  This leaves my web browsing experience sluggish AF, feels like I am browsing on a netbook powered by an intel Atom CPU from 15 years ago.  WTF Microsoft? Apparently this is some bug dating back to March 2023 that Microsoft hasn't bothered to fix?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Does anyone know of some registry edits to remove this efficiency mode crap functionality permanently?

This PC is just overkill for a media PC, there's absolutely no reason it should lag in chrome or edge at all.  10700k, RTX 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR4 3200, 970 Evo Plus, 960Mbp/s download and 30ms loaded latency.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 233309.png

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

does the problem occur in windows 10

No. This is a Windows 11 exclusive feature.

Just now, Sawa Takahashi said:

No. This is a Windows 11 exclusive feature.

if you install windows 10 on the machine does the browser run normally?

Just now, emosun said:

if you install windows 10 on the machine does the browser run normally?

I am not the original poster of this thread, be he clearly asked to disable Efficiency Mode in Windows 11. This feature was introduced in Windows 11 22H2 and is known to cause certain issues with some applications including Chrome, Edge and a few others.

Since that feature does not exist in Windows 10, yes, the browsers should work normally in Windows 10. But don't you think that nuking a Windows 11 install to go back to Windows 10 is a little overkill ?

didn't notice you weren't the op

9 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

But don't you think that nuking a Windows 11 install to go back to Windows 10 is a little overkill ?

no

13 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

I am not the original poster of this thread, be he clearly asked to disable Efficiency Mode in Windows 11. This feature was introduced in Windows 11 22H2 and is known to cause certain issues with some applications including Chrome, Edge and a few others.

Since that feature does not exist in Windows 10, yes, the browsers should work normally in Windows 10. But don't you think that nuking a Windows 11 install to go back to Windows 10 is a little overkill ?

windows 10 does have eco mode which is basically the same thing.

Untitled.png

9 hours ago, emosun said:
10 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

But don't you think that nuking a Windows 11 install to go back to Windows 10 is a little overkill ?

no

Lol. I suppose we are allowed diverging opinions on the subject 🙂

From my standpoint, the investment (in time and energy) to migrate is high enough to not repeat it more than once. Unless the system as a whole is completely broken, you find new ways do do things in Win 11.

But like I said, it depends on the use of your computer and your opinion on the subject. There are no wrong answers as long as you know what you signed up for.

Have a nice day !

10 hours ago, Mrpizzaeater145 said:

windows 10 does have eco mode which is basically the same thing.

Yeah, this is the same thing but behaves differently. So, they must be coded differently and Win 10 (as far as I know) does not reactivate Eco mode when you switch it off.

15 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

Thanks. this works for chrome, sorta, having to launch with a shortcut isn't ideal but it will do.  I also found edge has settings in it's menus that you can turn off all these power saving "features".

15 hours ago, Mrpizzaeater145 said:

or do you have bluestacks installed?

nope

15 hours ago, Mrpizzaeater145 said:

Do you have a vpn? is it proton? 

nope and nope

1 hour ago, Noca said:

Thanks. this works for chrome, sorta, having to launch with a shortcut isn't ideal but it will do.  I also found edge has settings in it's menus that you can turn off all these power saving "features".

The important thing is that you now can browse the Internet without lagging 🙂

Have a nice day !