[US] New Jersey Sales Tax Holiday on Education Equipment (Computers under $3K)

MrMitty

Several states in the US have back to school sales tax holidays. Here's the one for New Jersey:
https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/businesses/salestax/salestaxholiday.shtml 

I think tablets like iPads may qualify too, but I'm not sure. Smartphones are not eligible. 

Sales Tax Holiday for Certain Retail Sales

August 26, 2023 - September 4, 2023

P.L. 2022, c.21, establishes a Sales Tax Holiday for certain retail sales of computers, school supplies, and sport or recreational equipment when sold to an individual purchaser for non-business use. The Sales Tax Holiday takes place between August 26 and September 4, 2023. Sellers should not charge Sales Tax on eligible items when purchased during the Sales Tax Holiday.

Retail sales of the following are exempt during the Sales Tax Holiday:

• Certain Computers
    Computers with a sales price less than $3,000. "Computers" means electronic devices that accept information in digital or similar form and manipulate it for a result based on a sequence of instructions. "Electronic" means related to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic, or similar capabilities. Computers with a sales price greater than or equal to $3,000 remain subject to tax during the Sales Tax Holiday.
  • School Art Supplies
    "School art supplies" means items commonly used by a student in a course of study for artwork. School art supplies include the following:
    • Clay and Glazes
    • Paints (Including Acrylic, Tempera, and Oil)
    • Paintbrushes for Artwork
    • Watercolors
    • Sketch and Drawing Pads
  • School Computer Supplies
    "School computer supplies" with a sales price less than $1,000. "School computer supplies" means items commonly used by a student in a course of study in which a computer is used. Retail sales of school computer supplies with a sales price greater than or equal to $1,000 remain subject to tax during the Sales Tax Holiday. School computer supplies include the following:
    • Computer Storage Media, Diskettes, and Compact Disks
    • Handheld Electronic Schedulers (except devices that are cellular phones)
    • Personal Digital Assistants (except devices that are cellular phones)
    • Computer Printers
    • Printer Supplies for Computers, Printer Paper, and Printer Ink
  • School Instructional Materials
    "School instructional materials" means written materials commonly used by a student in a course of study as a reference to learn the subject being taught. School instructional materials include the following:
    • Reference Books
    • Workbooks
    • Reference Maps and Globes
    • Textbooks
  • School Supplies
    "School supplies" means items commonly used by a student in a course of study. School supplies include the following:
    • Binders
    • Cellophane Tape
    • Composition Books
    • Folders (expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila)
    • Index Cards
    • Pencil Boxes and Other School Supply Boxes
    • Pens
    • Protractors
    • Book Bags
    • Blackboard Chalk
    • Crayons
    • Glue, Paste, and Paste Sticks
    • Index Card Boxes
    • Markers
    • Lunch Boxes
    • Legal Pads
    • Notebooks
    • Pencil Sharpeners
    • Pencils
    • Calculators
    • Compasses
    • Erasers
    • Highlighters
    • Paper (loose leaf ruled notebook, copy, graph, tracing, manila, colored, construction, and poster board)
    • Writing Tablets
    • Rulers
    • Scissors
  • Sport or Recreational Equipment
    "Sport or recreational equipment" means items designed for human use and worn in conjunction with an athletic or recreational activity that are not suitable for general use. Sport or recreational equipment include, but is not limited to, the following:
    • Ballet and Tap Shoes
    • Goggles
    • Mouth Guards
    • Skates (roller and ice)
    • Shin Guards
    • Shoulder Pads
    • Ski Boots
    • Athletic Shoes (cleated or spiked)
    • Guards (hand or elbow)
    • Life Preservers and Vests
    • Waders
    • Gloves , (baseball, bowling, boxing, hockey, and golf)
    • Wetsuits and Fins
    • Helmets (bike, sport)

1 minute ago, MrMitty said:

Several states in the US have back to school sales tax holidays. Here's the one for New Jersey

I question the choice to pick the one from New Jersey to use. I mean, coming from someone who grew up in Jersey, who wants to be in Jersey?

It's a neat program though, I can think of a few people I know who I'll probably relay this info to. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I question the choice to pick the one from New Jersey to use. I mean, coming from someone who grew up in Jersey, who wants to be in Jersey?

It's a neat program though, I can think of a few people I know who I'll probably relay this info to. 

As a New Jersian, I don't disagree ...

But many other states' holidays are already over and don't have as high an incentive. $2,999.99 can buy you a lot of computer. And many stores like Microcenter off 5% cash back immediately if you use their store card. 

If you pay via the Microcenter card, you can get this M1 Max Macbook Pro for $2565 (= $2700 x 95% + $0 tax). 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/666756/apple-macbook-pro-z14z0010b-(late-2021)-162-laptop-computer-silver 

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, coming from someone who grew up in Jersey, who wants to be in Jersey?

Still here...cannot wait to graduate college from here and move south or west. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Still here...cannot wait to graduate college from here and move south or west. 

I grew up in CA and moved to NJ about 12 years ago. On a serious note, I assure you that NJ is not as bad as you think it is. The worst thing about NJ is property taxes. In Essex County, we're at 3.6% now and there's no improvement in services.

If you go to FL, you won't pay state income tax but you will pay higher insurance and get a lower salary. But as you already know, a lot of people from NJ and NY move to FL after they retire with their gov pensions because FL doesn't tax retirement income. So, they got to earn higher wages in the Northeast but pay no taxes in FL upon retirement. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

who wants to be in Jersey?

as someone currently living in new jersey, I 100% agree with this statement...