how many years more for hard disks to disappear?

220VoltsallCore

currently 1 tb ssd have same price has hard disks

when can i buy a 2 tb ssd for same price has hdd

and when 4 plus drives will get cheaper

anyone know about future prices? thanks

Just like tape disks didnt disappear, HDD wont either. 

2 minutes ago, BigLion said:

anyone know about future prices?

Yeah I also know of the upcoming lotto numbers.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

In the data center market, I doubt they're going to go away any time soon. SSDs just haven't caught up in the cost per gigabyte per rack U yet, and aren't likely to in any amount of time worth trying to predict. 

In the consumer market, I'd argue they already have been phased out. The only time it really makes sense to get a HDD nowadays is when you're using 8TB+, otherwise 2TB SSDs are remarkably cheap (~$60-70 for the half-decent ones, about as expensive as the good 2TB HDDs), and 4TB drives aren't as cheaper as they used to be (they're still half the price, but it's a big shift from when they used to be 1/4 the price), to the point where for a lot of people it makes sense to spend the extra $50-70 and get a 4TB SSD rather than a 4TB HDD. When you get to the 8TB+ category for people building NASes and other data-hoarding machines, then yeah, HDDs do still reign supreme, but there aren't a whole lot of people who need more than ~4TB of space, or even 2TB that can't be accomplished by an SSD for about the same price as a HDD. 

As for when they'll get cheaper, your guess is as good as mine, the pricing crystal ball only works every third Wednesday of the month. 

Hard drives will disappear when SSDs can match their cost per terabyte, so not for quite some time.

We're not there yet, and by the time SSDs catch up to today's hard drives, there will be even more dense hard drives.

Seagate IronWolf Pro 20 TB - $350

Samsung 970 QVO 8 TB SSD - $350

They'll stick around in the datacenter long after they're effectively obsolete for consumers. Just look at tape drives; an 18 TB LTO-9 cartridge costs $130. Sure, tape drives are very expensive, but tape's cost per gigabyte is unbeatable at scale. For deep archives and cold storage, you still can't beat the value a library full of tapes offers.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yeah I also know of the upcoming lotto numbers.

Sweet! Can you also tell me the all the companies that'll go kaput so I can short them, all the companies that'll boom so I can long them, if society will be further polarized so I can decide if I should simply check out of it all and will he ever come back so I have even more reasons to toss and turn before sleeping due to exhaustion?

19 minutes ago, BigLion said:

anyone know about future prices? thanks

Speculating on concrete prices for products without any leaks to go off, is as magic-crystal-ball-ing as you can go. There are general principles like price deprecation, newer products making the prices of older products slashed proportional to the price efficiency and parity (or improvement) in performance of the replacements which should be kept in mind when making a purchase decision.

So I can't give you a specific dollar value but I can give you Backblaze's predictions for cost/GB, which seem to be falling. Though, a cost/GB (which we'll call c/GB now) number doesn't mean it'll apply uniformly throughout every manufacturer or translate into savings from every SKU (don't expect the c/GB of a 4TB drive to match a 2 TB drive regardless of technological advancement as there's a base cost regardless of capacity that is to be factored in).

how many years more for hard disks to disappear?

Like the first post said, they're not going anywhere. They're still the dominant means for readily accessible large capacity non-volatile storage. Tape drives can store even large capacities at a lower c/GB at the expense of accessibility (high access latency, practically non-existent random IO), making them suitable for archival but not editing files off.

Just as hard drives are alright for storing games that aren't random IO intensive, large and/or not accessed frequently, storing your Downloads but not suitable for storing your OS, which benefits from lower latency and significantly better random IO performance.

They all have their niche, it's just a matter of what you need.