GPU pairing with i7-5930K? Looking for advice.

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 hours ago, haiste_repair said:

According to the research I did on the i7-5930K, it doesn't seem to have too much of an advantage over, say, an i7-6700K.

From what I've seen with it (I do own both), the 5930K is slower in single thread, but much faster in multi thread. Since games are actually using more than 4c/8t now, those extra few cores do quite a bit to help with performance. 

An all EVGA build sounds awesome, are you able to share a pic?

If I remember later today, sure. It's nothing special though, I didn't build it to be a show build, it's more stuff I had lying around and thrown in a Lian Li Lancool 215. 

Budget (including currency):  n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  1080p gaming, general use, workstation

Other details:  added below

Motherboard:  ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

RAM:  16-32GB DDR4

CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U

Choice of graphics cards:  Gigabyte GTX 1080 or ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 (8GB GDDR5)

If anyone here has had some experience running an i7-5930K, I am interested what GPU you paired it with and how well it performed together.  I received the CPU for free, so I decided to build a system around it.  The ASUS motherboard was the best deal I could get outside of the "off-brand" motherboards like Machinist or similar models shipping from China on eBay. 

I also have a Radeon Pro W5700, RTX 3060 Ti, and Intel Arc A750 on hand.  But, I am thinking the GTX 1080 or RX 580 are more appropriate pairings.  

I do have one in my possession currently on an X99 FTW, currently running as an auxiliary gaming rig. I bought them for testbench use, but it gave me a ton of issues when trying to overclock, the CPU turned out to be garbage (4GHz was hit or miss IIRC), so it got relegated to secondary PC. The card I'm running with it is a GTX 980 Ti KPE because it was what I had on hand to throw in it, and an era complete EVGA build sounded cool. They're a pretty good pairing, though a GTX 1080 would also likely work fine, I just didn't have one on hand to put in there. 

If you want to use cards on hand, the 3060 Ti probably wouldn't be that bottlenecked by it depending on the games, and it would be "free."

What's wrong with using the RTX 3060 Ti? If memory serves, the i7-5930K was usually a decent overclocker. Should get to 4.2 GHz easily and 4.5 was fairly common. Although the cooler would probably make that unrealistic.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

22 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I do have one in my possession currently on an X99 FTW, currently running as an auxiliary gaming rig. I bought them for testbench use, but it gave me a ton of issues when trying to overclock, the CPU turned out to be garbage (4GHz was hit or miss IIRC), so it got relegated to secondary PC. The card I'm running with it is a GTX 980 Ti KPE because it was what I had on hand to throw in it, and an era complete EVGA build sounded cool. They're a pretty good pairing, though a GTX 1080 would also likely work fine, I just didn't have one on hand to put in there. 

If you want to use cards on hand, the 3060 Ti probably wouldn't be that bottlenecked by it depending on the games, and it would be "free."

Cool, that seems like a good combo.  According to the research I did on the i7-5930K, it doesn't seem to have too much of an advantage over, say, an i7-6700K.  I could be wrong of course as I have not tested it myself.  I am leaning towards the RX 580 as I have an i7-6700K build coming up that I think would pair well with the GTX 1080.  I have a couple of RTX 3060 Ti's at the moment, so I'll give it a go and see what the performance is like relative to other CPU's I've paired with it (Ryzen 5 5600, i7-10700K, i7-8700).  

22 hours ago, brob said:

What's wrong with using the RTX 3060 Ti? If memory serves, the i7-5930K was usually a decent overclocker. Should get to 4.2 GHz easily and 4.5 was fairly common. Although the cooler would probably make that unrealistic.

Nothing wrong with the RTX 3060 Ti, but I am planning on pairing it with a Ryzen 5 5600.  Therefore the GTX 1080 and RX 580 seem like a better choice for pairing wit the 5930K.  I'll give it a go anyway on a test bench and see what the results look like.  Have you used a i7-5930K before?

According to the research I did on the i7-5930K, it doesn't seem to have too much of an advantage over, say, an i7-6700K.

From what I've seen with it (I do own both), the 5930K is slower in single thread, but much faster in multi thread. Since games are actually using more than 4c/8t now, those extra few cores do quite a bit to help with performance. 

If I remember later today, sure. It's nothing special though, I didn't build it to be a show build, it's more stuff I had lying around and thrown in a Lian Li Lancool 215. 

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Good to know, thanks.  I look forward to testing it out.  

As for the EVGA build, I'm interested for the novelty.  I have used their products for years, but I admit I started caring more once they stopped making graphics cards.  I have about 6 older cards I plan to display on a shelf, or elsewhere.  

Nothing wrong with the RTX 3060 Ti, but I am planning on pairing it with a Ryzen 5 5600.  Therefore the GTX 1080 and RX 580 seem like a better choice for pairing wit the 5930K.  I'll give it a go anyway on a test bench and see what the results look like.  Have you used a i7-5930K before?

Not for years and only in workstations.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

Not for years and only in workstations.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the input either way 🙂