thermal paste on CPU coolers

tdkid

I think he means if its been sitting in a tube for years. Its pretty easy to tell. It will be oily, or watery, and the paste itself will not look right. At that point it has separated.

No good.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

well most people dont KNOW its old but it is applied at the factory, covered up to protect it, shipped to wherever and then sits on a shelf for how ever long until someone buys it. could be hours or in most cases weeks to months later.

Yep. At least it's not being exposed to temperature extremes and has a plastic cover to retain moisture though. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I think he means if its been sitting in a tube for years. Its pretty easy to tell. It will be oily, or watery, and the paste itself will not look right. At that point it has separated.

No good.

Old as in an older formulation that isn't good enough anymore, or that it's been sitting for years. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

49 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Old as in an older formulation that isn't good enough anymore

It could be open to interpretation, some people think AS5 is complete junk and has no place on the market.. but I bet it is almost as good as all the top end TIMs.. in the end it all comes down to application.

Mostly 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

7 hours ago, freeagent said:

No good.

me? well i was mainly talking about the pre-applied thermal paste that some AIO/CLCs and air coolers come with. i was wondering if you guys just put the cooler on leaving the paste as it is or do you remove it and either put something else on. but with what i read, its personal preference if you do or not. so with this, what do you guys think of corsairs xtm70 paste?

For my personal builds, I replace the pre-applied paste with Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. I also use it when changing pastes on a graphics card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch