Help i am starting with linux

Hey, i have 2 problems: 1-installing SignalRGB, Wine gives me error: please re-run this installer as a normal user instead of run as administrator. Does someone know how to fix it?

2-is there a way to get my games that are on my 2nd drive detected by steam, epic games and my "definitely not cracked" games to just work?

55 minutes ago, DaBiggestSeal said:

Hey, i have 2 problems: 1-installing SignalRGB, Wine gives me error: please re-run this installer as a normal user instead of run as administrator. Does someone know how to fix it?

2-is there a way to get my games that are on my 2nd drive detected by steam, epic games and my "definitely not cracked" games to just work?

I'd be very surprised if you can get SignalRGB working as its highly unlikely WINE exposes the RGB controller interfaces in a way it would expect.  I also very much doubt it would work with game integration even if it could work at all.

In theory if you add a library to Steam pointing to the games on your Windows drive, it should add them.  This can be fiddly though.  I doubt you can do the same with Epic Games as you have to use the unofficial Heroic Games Launcher.

Generic games you should be able to just add to Steam like you would on Windows.

Now how many of these games will work, who knows.  Obviously better chances with games verified as Steam Deck compatible.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, DaBiggestSeal said:

SignalRGB does not support linux.

Wine cannot run bare metal windows apps that need access to hardware, such as rgb controllers

Linux alternative would be openRGB.

https://openrgb.org/index.html

Hey, thanks for your ideas, but none of them worked

1-openRGB does not register any devices

2-i tried adding games to steam, but not a single 1 fired up. No generic games, no epic games games, not even steam games (even with proton turned on)

Like i've said, thanks for your ideas. Do you have any more ideas?

15 hours ago, DaBiggestSeal said:

Do you have any more ideas?

Post the outputs of 

cat /etc/fstab
grep "^/" /proc/mounts
uname -a

and tell us the path to the games please...

I've never used openRGB (I have no RGB), but it may need to run as root or you may need to add yourself to a specific group for it to have access to the hardware.  Start by trying to run it from a terminal window with sudo before the command.

18 hours ago, DaBiggestSeal said:

1-openRGB does not register any devices

OpenRGB requires some tinkering to work.

I've got an Asus Prime B550 motherboard and Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB RAM that weren't detected at first. OpenRGB will spew out an error telling you what needs to be done. What error message did you get? 

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

8 hours ago, Ralphred said:

Post the outputs of 

cat /etc/fstab
grep "^/" /proc/mounts
uname -a

Sorry that i just pasted what did it spit on me, but i cannot read linux terminal

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=5781b2e4-cb45-44c8-b550-29d18692ef15 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=2CF3-B33B  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sdb2 / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /boot/efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
Linux DaBiggestSeal 5.15.0-76-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 15 19:16:32 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and tell us the path to the games please...

there are 3

1. steam games- /media/dabiggestseal/my second drive/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common
  2. epic games- /media/dabiggestseal/my second drive/Epic Games 2
  3. cracked games- /media/dabiggestseal/my second drive/Games/Game Folders
5 hours ago, Xiee said:

What error message did you get? 

I didnt get any error message. I feel now kinda dumb so if you could tell me where should i look for error messages?

I am sorry that i am making this hard to you all but i really dont know that much about linux than i initially thought ive had.

24 minutes ago, DaBiggestSeal said:

I didnt get any error message. I feel now kinda dumb so if you could tell me where should i look for error messages?

OpenRGB will usually display an error when you start it for the first time when something is off. For me, the error I got was due to the SMB bus or something that I needed to set and run so that openRGB could detect the lights on my Corsair memory. 

If you didn't get an error message then that would mean it should be working with no issues. You might need to set it up manually first like enabling it to run every time Linux starts and loading a settings profile automatically. It's a bit long to explain here, but the FAQ on openRGB's website should help out.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

• 1 month later...

Are you able to ADD the folder in steam?

If you cannot ADD the folder, and I emphasize this because it is a clear issue of storage permissions, then you must add the directory into you fstab file

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Generally if you copy the first line and paste it under that, but change the /dev/sd part and the directory path, and set the last two numbers to 0 0 (meaning no disk check) you are usually good to go, and it will be mountable in steam.

To see the error

open a command prompt, right click the title bar, and choose "always on top" so you don'y have to scroll back up to find the error message if more messages are printed.

steam

press enter.

Try adding the folder again, if steam does not display an error message in the gui, look at the command line output.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.