Connect 2 Marshall Woburn II to TV

Hi everyone,

I recently got my uncles powered Marshall Woburn II Bluetooth as a gift.
As I already had one that I got my self a while back, it got me wondering how I could connect them to my TV as separate Left and Right channels
I know that Marshall let’s you combine both speakers as one in their App via Bluetooth, but I was hoping I could do it with wires.

My TV has ARC, optical/Toslink and Bluetooth.

Marshall‘s Woburn II Bluetooth have an AUX port, RCA (red and white) and Bluetooth.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive…

32 minutes ago, UnknownNutrient said:

Hi everyone,

I recently got my uncles powered Marshall Woburn II Bluetooth as a gift.
As I already had one that I got my self a while back, it got me wondering how I could connect them to my TV as separate Left and Right channels
I know that Marshall let’s you combine both speakers as one in their App via Bluetooth, but I was hoping I could do it with wires.

My TV has ARC, optical/Toslink and Bluetooth.

Marshall‘s Woburn II Bluetooth have an AUX port, RCA (red and white) and Bluetooth.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive…

Based on what you've stated, your best option is probably an Optical to RCA converter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Converter-Tackston-Optical-Headphone/dp/B0BQY3F65L/

https://www.amazon.ca/AUTOUTLET-Optical-Converter-Digital-Consoles/dp/B09YQZR7T8/

No guarantees any of the above will work or be free of defects; best to do some research.

That being said, those Marshall Bluetooth speakers aren't really designed to be used as Left and Right channels independently. They should work with just the right or left RCA connection, but I have no idea how they'll perform as I don't personally own them.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 8/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, kirashi said:

Based on what you've stated, your best option is probably an Optical to RCA converter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Converter-Tackston-Optical-Headphone/dp/B0BQY3F65L/

https://www.amazon.ca/AUTOUTLET-Optical-Converter-Digital-Consoles/dp/B09YQZR7T8/

No guarantees any of the above will work or be free of defects; best to do some research.

That being said, those Marshall Bluetooth speakers aren't really designed to be used as Left and Right channels independently. They should work with just the right or left RCA connection, but I have no idea how they'll perform as I don't personally own them.

My friend has a couple different Marshall bluetooth speakers. He has one in his living room as their TV speaker. Depending on the size of the room, one is plenty, and a far easier setup. As @kirashi linked, I'd go with the first one. You could then run the red (right) RCA to the right speaker, and the white (left) RCA to the left speaker. The biggest issue would be controlling the volume. Both speakers will need to be set to the same volume (not hard as they have the guitar amp-style knobs with level lines); however typically you can't use the TV remote to adjust the volume via optical. This sometimes works with soundbars, but usually only with same brand TV's/soundbar combinations. So you'd have to walk up to the speakers, and adjust the volume on both speakers. This isn't an issue for my friend, because his living room is rather small, and he usually only uses the speaker for listening to music and it's typically 'set it and forget it.' 

Since these Marshalls can pair via bluetooth, it might be easier to bluetooth from the TV to the speakers, and use the app to connect them as a stereo pair. But then you have to deal with latency of the bluetooth connection, and if the TV doesn't have sound sync adjustments it may be almost unwatchable.

My recommendation: use one with an optical to RCA convertor, use the other elsewhere in your house. However, you still will not get around the volume adjustment issue. You'll have to walk up to the speaker every time to adjust the volume (unless you can do that from the Marshall app). If you want stereo sound, either a soundbar or a 2 channel/2.1 receiver/speaker combo is going to be a much simpler setup.