Transferring HDV videos to a laptop?

Hi! I am currently unable to transfer HDV from a device to my laptop. My laptop has a Firewire connector.

How would I go about solving this?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

Hi! I am currently unable to transfer HDV from a device to my laptop. My laptop has a Firewire connector.

Thanks!

Hello! You say you're unable to, rather than saying you don't know where to begin. Does this mean you've tried something already?

Details? What are you using? What fails?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

45 minutes ago, Real_Smoky said:

Thanks!

Unable to, or haven't tried (because you don't know where to start)? Not trying to nitpick, but "unable" means you've tried something but it didn't work, while haven't tried because you don't know where to start is something else entirely.

Either way, we need more information to be of any assistance. What hardware are you transferring from / with? An old handycam of some kind? Does it have Firewire connectivity? If so, what kind? (Firewire comes in a variety of flavors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394) What kind of Firewire does your laptop have? What kind of transfer software do you have? What is your end goal?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)