Are SDHC SD cards compatible with the Raspberry Pi Zero WH?

LUC1D
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Yes, SDHC cards work on the Raspberry Pi.

Any SD card you've ever handled that's over 2 GB up to 32 GB is an SDHC card.

https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/personal-storage/microsd-sd-memory-card-guide

I have been planning on doing a project with the Pi Zero W (Pi Hole Specifically) and I have come across this SanDisk Micro SDHC and I was wondering if it will work on my Raspberry Pi Zero W. Any help would be appreciated.

While I'm not sure about this specific Pi, SDHC cards tend to work on most of these since 2 GB (limit of SD cards) is a bit on the low end to run a modern Linux distro. SDHC raises this to 32 GB, which is a reasonable number.

If you go higher than this (SDXC) you should check that the file system on your distro image can actually handle the size of the partition. A lot of folks claiming SDXC cards don't work in their small computer of choice are trying to FAT32 format 128 GB cards. 😅

On 8/6/2023 at 1:21 PM, Needfuldoer said:

Yes, SDHC cards work on the Raspberry Pi.

Any SD card you've ever handled that's over 2 GB up to 32 GB is an SDHC card.

https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/personal-storage/microsd-sd-memory-card-guide

On 8/6/2023 at 12:29 PM, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

While I'm not sure about this specific Pi, SDHC cards tend to work on most of these since 2 GB (limit of SD cards) is a bit on the low end to run a modern Linux distro. SDHC raises this to 32 GB, which is a reasonable number.

If you go higher than this (SDXC) you should check that the file system on your distro image can actually handle the size of the partition. A lot of folks claiming SDXC cards don't work in their small computer of choice are trying to FAT32 format 128 GB cards. 😅

Thank you very much to both of you!! 

I just have one last question, I'm planning on getting Pi Hole on the pi zero and since I will be running it 24/7 would I need a cooling system for it or not?

42 minutes ago, LUC1D said:

Thank you very much to both of you!! 

I just have one last question, I'm planning on getting Pi Hole on the pi zero and since I will be running it 24/7 would I need a cooling system for it or not?

Extra cooling shouldn't be necessary just for PiHole, but it won't hurt if you want the peace of mind.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.