Amazed at NVME speeds - Millennial

tjrose91

I nvr had much money and just now finishing up grad school, with the falling prices in NVME was finally able to moved my main storage to a 3x4tb NVME i know enough and comfortable with the raid setup as i could have done JBOD and if one disks fails i could recover the data of the other drives but did the raid for life expectancy as you don't want to fill up one drive completely but RAID i guess has always been poor man way of getting higher capacity as it was still cheaper to go 3x4tb NVME than one 8tb NVME could have went sata 8tb but got done with all my fun benchmarks and finally got to experience full gen 3 speed by 8 i believe that what DMI 3.0 has for my MB MSI z490 Gaming Plus even when i put the Asmedia Card and the 3rd nvme drive on the GPU and M.2_1 slot i only got about 5 gigs a second and these gen five drives already hit 2-3x times faster, and makes me wonder if the end consumer will need those speeds for storage in the future, i can only see one is for archiving storage as transfering 10tb in an hour than 8+ for 10tb hard drive config be alot better

Moral of my story is im just excited to finally get to experience full gen 3 speeds, i dont do much on my main system other than media play back and some light gaming like Apex might go thru my steam library soon 

NVMe drives are awesome. I ditched spinners and SATA.. though I still have my stuff backed up to them.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

I nvr had much money and just now finishing up grad school, with the falling prices in NVME was finally able to moved my main storage to a 3x4tb NVME i know enough and comfortable with the raid setup as i could have done JBOD and if one disks fails i could recover the data of the other drives but did the raid for life expectancy as you don't want to fill up one drive completely but RAID i guess has always been poor man way of getting higher capacity as it was still cheaper to go 3x4tb NVME than one 8tb NVME could have went sata 8tb but got done with all my fun benchmarks and finally got to experience full gen 3 speed by 8 i believe that what DMI 3.0 has for my MB MSI z490 Gaming Plus even when i put the Asmedia Card and the 3rd nvme drive on the GPU and M.2_1 slot i only got about 5 gigs a second and these gen five drives already hit 2-3x times faster, and makes me wonder if the end consumer will need those speeds for storage in the future, i can only see one is for archiving storage as transfering 10tb in an hour than 8+ for 10tb hard drive config be alot better

Moral of my story is im just excited to finally get to experience full gen 3 speeds, i dont do much on my main system other than media play back and some light gaming like Apex might go thru my steam library soon 

Do they teach punctuation in grad school? That first chunk of text is a single sentence....

But yes, going nvme from a hdd is an amazing feeling.

13 hours ago, freeagent said:

NVMe drives are awesome. I ditched spinners and SATA.. though I still have my stuff backed up to them craft computing did a talking heads on this mentioning that magnetic storage seems to be the best cheap way of archiving storage, i mean you have hard drives 30yrs ago that still has all their data and probably been cold a long enough time 

)

Yes, Cr

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Do they teach punctuation in grad school? That first chunk of text is a single sentence....

But yes, going nvme from a hdd is an amazing feeling.

i mean i'm not writing a research paper and most internet talk is not proper,and i had NVME for boot and Steam but main file drive where all my movies are one is nice can go thru 6tb and instantly find and do many things if needed 

I've got an Asus Hyper M.2 card that you can load a few M.2s on. Pretty handy dandy if you need some extra space in a pinch.

HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD|Motherboards|ASUS Canada

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

i had to get an Asmedia card linus did a video about something and mentioned an Asmedia controller its nice like 60-75 bucks but allows for my card 2 nvme drives to work on an 8x lane without Bifurcation and did my 3rd m.2 on my main board nice going thru all my files without load times