2.0Mb/s transfer speeds with Unraid (need help speeding up transfers with parity)

I have two Unraid servers in my homelab one with a parity one without, I am attempting to transfer a measly 18gb folder to my backup server(the one with the parity) from my main server(non parity) but I'm getting 2MB/s transfer speeds. Even if I compress one of the folders and transfer it. I'm fairly new to using a parity so just looking to see if I maybe I did something wrong or if there is a trick to the trade I just don't know yet. Also I have gigabit internet and turbo write enabled on both

3 minutes ago, HomeLabAddict said:

I have two Unraid servers in my homelab one with a parity one without, I am attempting to transfer a measly 18gb folder to my backup server(the one with the parity) from my main server(non parity) but I'm getting 2MB/s transfer speeds. Even if I compress one of the folders and transfer it. I'm fairly new to using a parity so just looking to see if I maybe I did something wrong or if there is a trick to the trade I just don't know yet. Also I have gigabit internet and turbo write enabled on both

That's really slow. Assuming your network is otherwise doing fine. What HDDs do you use and what are the server's specs?

8 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

That's really slow. Assuming your network is otherwise doing fine. What HDDs do you use and what are the server's specs?

WD Ultrastar and a couple WD reds all 7200 in the main server(non parity) and just some Dell 7200rpm drives that came with my backup server

unraid should do nothing special that causes transfer speed to drop severely, this sounds like a problem with the way you're transferring. (FTP/SMB/...)

47 minutes ago, HomeLabAddict said:

WD Ultrastar and a couple WD reds all 7200 in the main server(non parity) and just some Dell 7200rpm drives that came with my backup server

Any of them use SMR technology? Do you have enough ram in the server? How do smaller transfers behave like?

41 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Any of them use SMR technology? Do you have enough ram in the server? How do smaller transfers behave like?

No idea about SMR, but small transfers going into the device with a parity are just as slow, maybe 1MB/s faster I can usually get 150+ on the server with no parity. Both  have 32gb of ram

50 minutes ago, manikyath said:

unraid should do nothing special that causes transfer speed to drop severely, this sounds like a problem with the way you're transferring. (FTP/SMB/...)

I am using just transferring files from share to share with the native windows libraries which I believe is SMB

1 hour ago, HomeLabAddict said:

No idea about SMR, but small transfers going into the device with a parity are just as slow, maybe 1MB/s faster I can usually get 150+ on the server with no parity. Both  have 32gb of ram

I am using just transferring files from share to share with the native windows libraries which I believe is SMB

are you doing SMB from one share to another directly? that's one of those "windows will do weird shyte" things.

31 minutes ago, manikyath said:

are you doing SMB from one share to another directly? that's one of those "windows will do weird shyte" things.

I am, how can I get around this and do it another way?

20 minutes ago, HomeLabAddict said:

I am, how can I get around this and do it another way?

Are both servers showing a 1gbit/s connection? have you checked or replaced the ethernet cables? Is it possible that one of them has onboard wifi enabled (transfers over wifi without antenna connected could be quite slow). Do you use onboard ethernet or dedicated NICs? Maybe they are not fully compatible with the latest Linux kernel unraid is using. You have enough ram so that you could write into cache, parity or not shouldn't matter here. Could also be bad drive in the mix that throws errors or doesn't play well with the others when written to. Did you post already in the official unraid forum? I haven't used unraid for years and never tried transferring between two of them. I believe there was a backup option to do scheduled writes onto a different machine back then, might be wrong though. Otherwise you can use ssh and transfer files and folders between those servers. However that takes quite a bit more time than just dragging them over, so I get why you haven't went that route yet, also takes some more knowledge of linux cmd to get started. Assuming the only issue is your windows machine for some reason, make sure to set your connection to 1 gbit/s full-duplex instead of auto, also set the system to high performance mode in power settings and disable power saving on the network and pci-e devices. You can also try using a program called TeraCopy. It doesn't rely on windows explorer to transfer files. Usually it helps getting rid of some overhead for faster transfers but sadly not that much faster as you are experiencing really slow network speeds at the moment. If you were on wifi for some reason, your current transfer speed would be equivalent to an adapter based on 802.11 b/g/h spec.

16 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Are both servers showing a 1gbit/s connection? have you checked or replaced the ethernet cables? Is it possible that one of them has onboard wifi enabled (transfers over wifi without antenna connected could be quite slow). Do you use onboard ethernet or dedicated NICs? Maybe they are not fully compatible with the latest Linux kernel unraid is using. You have enough ram so that you could write into cache, parity or not shouldn't matter here. Could also be bad drive in the mix that throws errors or doesn't play well with the others when written to. Did you post already in the official unraid forum? I haven't used unraid for years and never tried transferring between two of them. I believe there was a backup option to do scheduled writes onto a different machine back then, might be wrong though. Otherwise you can use ssh and transfer files and folders between those servers. However that takes quite a bit more time than just dragging them over, so I get why you haven't went that route yet, also takes some more knowledge of linux cmd to get started. Assuming the only issue is your windows machine for some reason, make sure to set your connection to 1 gbit/s full-duplex instead of auto, also set the system to high performance mode in power settings and disable power saving on the network and pci-e devices. You can also try using a program called TeraCopy. It doesn't rely on windows explorer to transfer files. Usually it helps getting rid of some overhead for faster transfers but sadly not that much faster as you are experiencing really slow network speeds at the moment. If you were on wifi for some reason, your current transfer speed would be equivalent to an adapter based on 802.11 b/g/h spec.

Holy shit that’s a lot of info, I’ll get to work on trying to see if any of that helps! Thank you!

Yeah ima dumb ass, I was using a SFF I have in my living room running wifi( strictly 2.5 cuz she old) just attached it to ethernet and got the normal speeds back, lol thanks for the help!