Having Wifi Issues (Do I need a new Modem/Router?)

FineVisionz

I currently have a Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2 and have had it for a long time (10ish years if I were to guess).  And recently, my WiFi has been unusable.  Took a speed test on my phone, S22 Ultra,  Ping 150ms, and Download 4Mbps.  While on the other hand, on my PC (LAN) connection, Ping 8ms, Download 250Mbps.  My WiFi a week ago was usable and I didn't have any issues but starting a few days ago it has just been unbearable to use.

Is there something I can try to fix it other than unplugging it for 10min or holding the reset button?  Is my Modem/Router just on its way out?

Budget for a new Modem/Router: ~$200 

Speeds: 300Mbps Cox (I see some routers support different speeds for different internet providers?)

Range: 3500 sq/ft (But I do know there are wifi extender/boost (if those are even worth it or snake oil, I've never looked into them before so I have no idea)

First get a wifi Analyzer app to determine any possible interference in the form of wifi networks on the same channel. Also, if your wireless device connects on 2.4 GHz only AND there's wifi networks on the same channel then you are going to have a bad time.

If issues at 2.4 is at play and you can't force your wireless device to connect on 5 GHz, whether by creating a 5 GHz only SSID or something else, then I don't know that replacing your hardware is going to help since 2.4 GHz strength & such hit its limits with 802.11n (wifi 4?).

If you do get a replacement, I would consider getting a separate modem, then a separate router/AP if not separate router & AP devices. That's less you have to replace if one function fails.

2 hours ago, FineVisionz said:

I currently have a Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2 ...  And recently, my WiFi has been unusable.

That's a WiFi 4 generation device that only has a 2.4GHz antenna. There's your problem.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

That's a WiFi 4 generation device that only has a 2.4GHz antenna.

Wow, I didn't think that there were wifi 4 APs or especially all in ones with ONLY 2.4 GHz since Wifi 4 supports both. That's rough. OP should consider themselves lucky they didn't run into interference with neighbors & other devices sooner in ~10 years.

22 hours ago, FineVisionz said:

Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2

This device is only WiFi 4. WiFi 7 is about to be coming out. Furthermore the modem built in is a Docsis 3.0 8x4 modem. I know on the Comcast network it's only going to get about 260 ish Mbps. Most cable providers dont run the equipment at the top of what Docsis can do, so in some cases what speeds a modem can do will depend on how close to the max the provider wants to run. 

In my opinion you probably are better off buying a Docsis 3.1 modem and they are all 32x8 modems and having more channels than what you need will offer a better experience overall. Router wise you probably want WiFi 6 at least. That all being said, I cant really provide any suggestions because I dont use All in ones, I choose to use  a separate modem and router on my Comcast connection. 

I will say this as well, with Docsis 3.1 modem you kinda have two types. The one with 1 Gbps Ethernet ports will top out at 940 ish Mbps. The ones with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports will support the current fastest speeds. Some providers like Comcast off connections that are over 1 Gbps. 

Additionally Id like to add, that you should see if the provider provides a supported device list. Generally these are products that have been tested to work on the providers network.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.