wi fi

xwrench3

Hi, I have been using a standard cat-6 cable for my internet for years. but, I just moved my desktop to a more convenient location. and the only way to connect it was by running the cable across a doorway. and you guessed it, somebody caught their foot on the cable and wrecked it. so i have 2 options, buy a new cable, and get a "bridge" to hide the cable under, or go wifi. the distance to the router is a straight 18 feet. i just checked the speed of another (older) wired computer in our house, and it was getting 94.8 download, and 22 and change upload. if i go with a wireless adapter (either internal card or usb dongle), what can i realistically expect from one of those?

9 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

if i go with a wireless adapter (either internal card or usb dongle), what can i realistically expect from one of those?

What model is your router and what WiFi standards does it support? Are you in a single-family house in the middle of nowhere, or an apartment in the city?

At only 18 feet away, you shouldn't have any trouble getting at least those speeds if your router is less than a decade old.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

What are your normal speeds? if youre expecting 100/25 then that is fine also what is your latency / jitter compared to when you had a cable. Generally a cable is better and more reliable.

the router is about 4 or 5 years old. A Sagecom Fast 5260 single family home out in the sticks.  it supports both bands, but I'm not sure of the numbers. 

39 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

the router is about 4 or 5 years old. A Sagecom Fast 5260 single family home out in the sticks.  it supports both bands, but I'm not sure of the numbers. 

In that case, just get an 802.11ac card/adapter/etc for your PC. It will be fine.

Ideally you'd want to run a wire in the wall from the modem to your new PC spot, but WiFi's perfectly adequate. (Especially at that range.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.