Error Code 1-8 in Windows Mixed Reality on HP Reverb G2

Greetings,

<Background Information>

Spoiler

I use VR quite often and bought a Reverb G2 about a year ago. Though in December of last year, it burned out and I was sent a replacement strangely passed off as my original headset (the serial numbers differed). Regardless, it mostly has worked, though I've had many scares that required numerous wire pluggings or pc reboots but it never directly died. A little over 24 hours ago I had to do some plugging again but I was able to play VR for many hours. Though during it I experienced a consistent tracking loss that rocked my viewpoint. But tracking loss is unfortunately common even in my well-lit room.

<Current Issue>

My headset is throwing an error code 1-8. I have never experienced this specific error before and I hadn't even turned off my computer since the last play session where it worked. Nothing was installed or changed as far as I'm aware. The HP logo on the headset lights up, windows detects it as an inactive display, but it won't turn on.

<Things I've Tried>

Spoiler

Re-plug every cable end in every possible order (multiple times)

Restarted the PC twice

Turned Nvidia DSR off

Installed the most recent windows update (KB5028254)

Tried my spare cable (both are V2 cables)

Turned monitor to 50 Hz and back to 60 Hz

Turned VR set to 60 Hz (was previously 90 Hz)

Unplug both main monitor and VR headset so that nothing is loaded on the GPU

Reinstall Nvidia drivers

Reinstall Mixed Reality

Change Display Ports

Very specifically plugging in VR headset first into port I've had it in before my main monitor

Uninstalling absolutely everything related to WMR and doing a full system shutdown before reinstall

Plugging the DP repeater into the motherboard throws a 1-4 error instead

Tried booting the headset with the main monitor unplugged

<Specs>

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB Video Card (Headset plugged in via Cable Matters Displayport Repeater)

PSU: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Bios: A.60

I run only one main monitor at native 1920x1080p at 60 Hz.

It boggles my brain what could have possibly caused it. I really want to believe that it's a software issue, but at this point I haven't the slightest clue.

<Image Descriptions>

Spoiler

First Image: Error when I first encountered the problem.
Second Image: Error as it is still persisting to this moment.

Error 1-8 1.png

Error 1-8 2.png

What place to the “learn more” button do? You can also send feedback or call customer support.

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/install-windows-mixed-reality

Doesn't have too much specific info. It's more of a generic "more info" page.

I've sent feedback through the system there. I've considered calling HP, but I'm not sure there's anything they can really fix.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh. The people at HP's repair center had told me just to send it back in (I previously had to send in a previous headset for a "burned out part") and they sent me a new one. After that, I ended up having to completely wipe my PC for a completely unrelated issue so between all that, the replacement they sent me has worked (for now).
I didn't initially update the thread because it'd been a few months at that point and I'm not sure starting again from square one really counted as a "fix".
Still, I'll try the switch trick should/when I ever have the misfortune of the issue emerging on the new one.