3770k or 3570k?

Hey guys, I'm building a new rig (and recycling some other parts) and i'm stuck between the 3570k and 3770k. I know the 3570k is adequate for gaming, but I do quite a bit of video editing/rendering. I do use cuda acceleration in premier (gtx680), so would I actually benefit from the extra threads on the 3770? If not, I'd sure like saving the $30 and sticking with an i5

Based on your needs, i would advice you to get the 3770k. You will see better performance overall.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

If you do video editing + gaming, i would go whit the 3770k, if you dont mind spending the extra $30. Depends on your preference, 3570K is also a good choise if you team it up whit some ram and a good videocard.

CPU: Intel I5 3550 Motherboard: Maximus V Gene RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX Genesis GPU: Zotac GTX 670 Case: NZXT Vulcan Storage: 120gb Kintson SSD + 1TB WB blue PSU: Corsair CX600 Display(s): Asus 24" VE247H Full HD Cooling: Coolermaster V8 and Casefans Keyboard: Steelseries 6G V/2 Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Sound: Onboard + Astro a40

Seen as you do A LOT of video editing I would say 3770K

Of course only if you can afford it :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I use Premiere Pro, so I've read a lot about it, and it's one of the applications that benefits most from the 3770k's hyper-threading. If your workloads aren't too heavy, a 3570k is still good, even some of the biggest game commentators in the world, the YogsCast, use a 3570k.

I've been debating these two CPUs for my own up-coming build and while there doesn't seem to be much difference for gaming, the video editing is where the 3770K is going to shine. It also seems the safest way to go for next few years  as game developers are going to be making use of multi-threaded CPUs. Hopefully it helps, I can only speak from my own research. 

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

Yes I would go with the 3770k and it will be good for games also since games are starting to make use of those cores.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i've got a 3570K and i play games.. i never had a single problem till now.. im very happy for this CPU, but i dont work with video editing, i think that you should really go with a 3770K if you actually use video editing software! and is it really $30 difference only? 

i5 3570K @3,5GHz || Asus P8-Z77 V-LX || 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM || nVidia GTX 480 1,5GB || Corsair CX600M PSU || 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD || 500GB WD Storage drive || Cooler Master K350 Case || Razer DeathAdder || Razer Black Widow 2012 Ultimate Edition

i've got a 3570K and i play games.. i never had a single problem till now.. im very happy for this CPU, but i dont work with video editing, i think that you should really go with a 3770K if you actually use video editing software! and is it really $30 difference only? 

Yeah, it's dirt cheap at Micro Center, $190 for a 3570k and $220 for the 3770k. Best place to go if there's one near you. They don't ship, which is why I'm guessing they can price lower. Best deals I've seen so far, they seem to beat out newegg and tiger direct $40-50 on cpu's. 

Thanks a ton everyone for your input! I'll be going for the 3770k. 

i know about Micro Center and their nice prices.. but here in greece everything is SO expensive!! i cant afford a new GPU and im looking on ebay for a used one... (sorry for going little bit off topic ..) have fun and good luck with 3770K!

i5 3570K @3,5GHz || Asus P8-Z77 V-LX || 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM || nVidia GTX 480 1,5GB || Corsair CX600M PSU || 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD || 500GB WD Storage drive || Cooler Master K350 Case || Razer DeathAdder || Razer Black Widow 2012 Ultimate Edition

Yeah, it's dirt cheap at Micro Center, $190 for a 3570k and $220 for the 3770k. Best place to go if there's one near you. They don't ship, which is why I'm guessing they can price lower. Best deals I've seen so far, they seem to beat out newegg and tiger direct $40-50 on cpu's. 

Thanks a ton everyone for your input! I'll be going for the 3770k. 

Good choice