Is the 3770k worth the extra costs.

Hello community.

I'm having a break from Minecraft to get my first post on this forum.

I'm currently upgrading my system, with a fresh build;

This is what i have so far;

Hyper x beast 2400 16 gb ddr3 ram

MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard

NZXT phantom 410SE (black)

Sandisk extreme 120 gb(for OS, bringing from the old system)

2x intel 520 series 240gb ssd's (in raid 0 for the games i play the most)

2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb hdd's for media

Corsair AX 760W PSU

Intel CPU water cooler.

What i'm left with is GPU(s) and CPU

My plan was to start with a MSI GF GTX 660TI and then later add another 660ti,

And for CPU i'm thinking of a Intel I7 3770k.

What i wonder is if is it worth the extra money for that i7. I want to overclock the CPU, and i am very much a multitasker, Often having 10 tabs in one browser, and 20+ in another, and a copple of games running( I don't log off minecraft or Lol even if i go to play some bf3 or a total war game.

Would it still be worth saving money and insted go for a say, i5 3570k or a i5 2500K (And how is it that the 2500k costs more than the 3570k?

Allso, i'm not getting the fps i want out of my system, could i get a lot more from my old(few months old) AMD 7970 GPU card?

Please ask if there is something that is unclear.

And sorry for my bad English.

Thanks 

//TangoKilo

Sorry For My bad English  :(

3570k is enough for gaming i7s arent usually worth it. or wait for haswell

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

3570k+ 670 is better than a 3770k+ 660 ti

don't buy a 3770k unless you have already a 680/7970 and money left to burn

edit: why do you want to downgrade from a 7970? i'm confused

If you're playing games that likes lots of threads, the 3770K will show its strength. If you're also doing any kind of video editing, a 3770K will prove to be helpful there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3770k is worth it with a GTX #70+, a 3570k is more than enough for gaming and so is a 660ti, but a 670 with a 3570k will be better

Character artist in the Games industry.

3570k+ 670 is better than a 3770k+ 660 ti

don't buy a 3770k unless you have already a 680/7970 and money left to burn

edit: why do you want to downgrade from a 7970? i'm confused

Well since i would like to have a geforce card, i'm very dissapointed with the Sapphire Radeon Hd 7950 that i got, oh i wrote 7970 did I ?

Thanks 

//TangoKilo

1st of all a 3570k is what u want for gaming. i7 would be a complete waste of money unless u need the extra threads for editing etc.

Based on what ur playing i think a single 660ti would be plenty but it all depends if u start playing more graphics intensive games in the future. However u can add ur 2nd 660ti at that point. Also the 700 series are slated to come out very soon and im sure there will be a 760ti or something similar. That is another possibility.

Also having loads of tabs open in a browser doesn't make a great deal of difference to cpu usage, from what i have observed anyway, unless it's 10 youtube videos running at the same time

Also 670 or 770 would be very gd options also

a 7950 is as fast as a GTX670...so maybe you have some driver issues or something else is wrong?

somebody needs to link me some epic 3770k reviews. i never saw any where a 3570k was more than 2-3% slower in games than a 3770k under normal conditions. so even a 3570k+ 680 should be faster than a 3770k+ 670

a 7950 is as fast as a GTX670...so maybe you have some driver issues or something else is wrong?

somebody needs to link me some epic 3770k reviews. i never saw any where a 3570k was more than 2-3% slower in games than a 3770k under normal conditions. so even a 3570k+ 680 should be faster than a 3770k+ 670

This is a gd point. Driver issues may be a problem. 7950 is a very gd card.

You need to make sure you regularly spend some time to update drivers. AMD are usually very gd with driver updates that offer fantastic performance improvements.

Also note there is an ongoing dispute over fps and real world performance. Higher FPS does not mean you are getting tangible benefits in game.

It migth be my general system that is to slow to use the potential of the 7950, My old system does not have PCI:E 3(just 2) and only has 4gb of 1333hz memory, on top of a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mb with a AMD Athlon II x4 640 CPU.

Thanks 

//TangoKilo

This is a gd point. Driver issues may be a problem. 7950 is a very gd card

As far as i know i got the newest drivers, i've done all i know to get good drivers. but again, look at the other post of the other specs of my old system.

Thanks 

//TangoKilo

keep your GPU, just buy a z77 board a 3570k and 8gig 1600Mhz ram + 128GB ssd and you will be happy

It migth be my general system that is to slow to use the potential of the 7950, My old system does not have PCI:E 3(just 2) and only has 4gb of 1333hz memory, on top of a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mb with a AMD Athlon II x4 640 CPU.

Current GPU's are not yet capable of saturating the bandwidth of PCI-E 2 so that is not even a factor at this moment in time. 8Gb of memory may offer some benefit in certain games but not many require more than 4. Future games probably will. 1333 is also not really an issue. Would advise 1600 but will still not offer a big improvement

If you're playing games that likes lots of threads, the 3770K will show its strength. If you're also doing any kind of video editing, a 3770K will prove to be helpful there.

not many games do like threads and those who do still run more then fine on a non threaded cpu 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Yeah i agree with Andi.

3570k with a z77 board and keep the 7950.

Test that spec 1st b4 spending money on a card that is not any better than the one you already have

not many games do like threads and those who do still run more then fine on a non threaded cpu 

I agree with this for now, however rumours are that there will be games in the future that benefit from multi threaded cpus.

But yeah, for now multi threaded cpus are not for gaming

I agree with this for now, however rumours are that there will be games in the future that benefit from multi threaded cpus.

But yeah, for now multi threaded cpus are not for gaming

well of course future games will but it will be a little bit

keep your GPU, just buy a z77 board a 3570k and 8gig 1600Mhz ram + 128GB ssd and you will be happy

Just bogth ram and motherboard, 16gb 2400hz ram, and a z77 mb. So all i need now is a CPU, witch is going to be a 3570k. But then it's only if i'm going for a i5 or a i7 ;)

Thanks 

//TangoKilo

well of course future games will but it will be a little bit

I may be wrong but was it not Bioshock Infinite or something similar that has been showing a decent benefit with i7 over i5?

I should also note i would still not advise an i7 for gaming, just curious to see the direction games are heading for in the future.

Just bogth ram and motherboard, 16gb 2400hz ram, and a z77 mb. So all i need now is a CPU, witch is going to be a 3570k. But then it's only if i'm going for a i5 or a i7 ;)

Just remember that the memory will be set at 1333 when you install it. Has to be changed in the BIOS. Although there are exceptions for this, you should check.

3570k is what you want. Thats's what i have in my system and im a gamer

I may be wrong but was it not Bioshock Infinite or something similar that has been showing a decent benefit with i7 over i5?

I should also note i would still not advise an i7 for gaming, just curious to see the direction games are heading for in the future.

battlefield 3 i know does but idk about bioshock 

I know. I wasn't saying "go out and buy the CPU because of these few games." I was just stating that the 3770K will show its strength in those types of games. But, 3570K should do just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I know. I wasn't saying "go out and buy the CPU because of these few games." I was just stating that the 3770K will show its strength in those types of games. But, 3570K should do just fine.

i know i was just wanting to explain to those who thought that it was better

i know i was just wanting to explain to those who thought that it was better

Got ya.

I would go with the 3570k because you don't need an i7 for gaming and I think the 3570k will be able to handle multitasking. I would get a HIS Radeon HD 7950 HIS IceQ X2 because this card can be overclocked to beat the stock 7970 and their Never Settle Reloaded game bundle is excellent. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer