Benefits of SATA Express?

I was looking at the new Z97 motherboards and noticed one had SATA Express up to 10gbit/s.

Where would you benefit with 10gbit/s as opposed to 6gbit/s?

Doesn't your drive's speed limit the data transfer rate anyway? How would you use the 10gbit/s speed to its maximum potential?

Thanks,

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

there will be SSD's that can go up to that speed, ssd's where never stuck at 550 mb/s, there just wasnt a reason to go higher because the interface couldnt go that high

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I personally think SATA Express is silly. It's such an unnecessarily large connector for 10Gbps. M.2 looks to be way better.

I'd just RAID two SSDs together and be done with it if I wanted moar speed out of my SSDs (the drawbacks of RAID 0 don't worry me) because I'd imagine that SATAEX SSDs would come at a rather hefty premium...

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

SSDs have been bottlenecked by the 6 Gbit/s limit for quite a while

now. If you look at existing PCI-E SSDs, the technology has the

potential to be quite a lot faster than that.

But, that's only really relevant with large sequential transfers,

you're not going to be seeing much of an improvement for random

small file access as far as I can tell.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Zero. Literally zero. SSD's aren't all that fast for the majoirty of use cases. Sure they're fine for sequential reads and writes however random read and random write is no where near taking advantage of the existing SATA 6 gigabit infrastructure. Intel are just trying to throw features at the platform so they can release a refresh. I was at an Intel conference tonight and one of the things we covered was the changes to Z97/H97 over Z87/H87 and besides the addition of SATA Express, mildly faster CPU's and a new security structure that many consumers won't take advantage of, there was nothing new. Intel are scratching in the dirt for new innovative things to bring to market and joining two SATA lanes together to give more bandwidth for those sequential speeds was what their R&D team came up with. 

Until SSD controller complexity increases, we will be stuck with 10-40 MB/s for random operations (most operations are random read/write), which is way slower than SATA III.

I can see SATA express being useful in enterprise environments where the load on the SSDs is high enough to be bottlenecked by SATA III, since the only other option is (very expensive) PCI-E cards from the likes of FusionIO. But I will give exactly zero cares until the aforementioned controller complexity increases and delivers us 50-100 MB/s in random operations. That would be a noticeably snappy SSD compared to current SSDs, and would end the debate about choosing one SSD over another.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking