Laptop sudden poweroff in certain circumstances

Hey all,

I have recently purchased the ASUS ROG STRIX G18 that I have since upgraded with 4tb storage and 32GB ram. Now I run into a weird issue when playing demanding games for example cyberpunk 2077 where the laptop just powers off in certain spots in the game. Essentially when I am running around in the game there is a sudden power off and when I restart and load back in it crashes at the same spot again. I would say running around randomly after about a minute this happens. What I figured was that this is some kind of a thermal issue as I had upgraded the laptop and maybe I messed something up, but when running hwinfo64 on a second monitor the temps seem fine? Another thing I tried was the aida64 system stability benchmark thing and also starting furmark at the same time so that my components would be at 100% and no power off occurred.

Soo I am at a loss at the moment, I couldn't find any log files or anything in the windows event viewer that would point to a software issue either, oh also: in hwinfo the power consumption also seemed fine. One possibility I guess is that furmark doesn't really load up the rt cores and is overall not that demanding?

When I reached out to support they basically told me to reinstall the system which to be honest I am not too keen on especially because I don't even know if the problem is some kind of software issue or not.

Basically I am looking for any and all troubleshooting tips or similar 🙂

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

You've installed new RAM. Have you run MemTest86+ to see if it's OK?

Thanks for the idea!

I ran it and it got to about 55% of a pass and then this happened:PXL_20230723_124226678.thumb.jpg.35ca1c4522f453a773026249e06019e4.jpg

Everything seems to have just crashed and the time wasn't running anymore and I couldn't get out of the test so I had to do a hard reset... I have also run the Asus bios diagnostic check for RAM (who knows how useful that is) and it didn't report any errors.

The RAM showing up as 2x 2GB is sus. Also the fact that it can't identify brand or model.

I actually can't find if memTest86+ can work with DDR5 yet. Maybe you can try PassMark Memtest86 (no +)? The free version has no restrictions.

Is the RAM seated correctly? Can you provide more info about the sticks? Brand, make, model etc?

On 7/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Mojo-Jojo said:

The RAM showing up as 2x 2GB is sus. Also the fact that it can't identify brand or model.

I actually can't find if memTest86+ can work with DDR5 yet. Maybe you can try PassMark Memtest86 (no +)? The free version has no restrictions.

Is the RAM seated correctly? Can you provide more info about the sticks? Brand, make, model etc?

First of all thanks for the response.

I have ran passmark memtest and it passed. I think the ram should be seated correctly, tho it was my first time installing sodimm. The sticks are Kingston sticks and the part number is KVR48S40BS8K2-32.

Should I try to reseat the RAM? Would there be any point to it after the memtest passed?

image.thumb.png.9e45f463bed5d6f6d2064bea5b8fdf9b.png

19 hours ago, dunila28 said:

First of all thanks for the response.

I have ran passmark memtest and it passed. I think the ram should be seated correctly, tho it was my first time installing sodimm. The sticks are Kingston sticks and the part number is KVR48S40BS8K2-32.

Should I try to reseat the RAM? Would there be any point to it after the memtest passed?

Alright, I think it's pretty safe to say RAM isn't the issue here. Sad to say I don't really have any other pointers 🫤