ASRock Rack X470D4U Not Posting

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
5 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

Yes, it's 4.20.

That eliminates BIOS then, it needs 3.50 minimum.

For 2 stick operation, asrock recommends the RAM to be plugged in A1 and B1 slot, and Asrock recommends A1 to be filled first. So if you havent followed the former do so even though any configuration should work on a dual channel, but if you have test each RAM on the A1 slot before every other slot.

image.png.eae29a9740a88f6409b4420b08fd3f48.png

Hi there,

I recently got a ASRock Rack X470D4U and I've been trying to set it up but for some reason the system is not posting. I can access the IPMI dashboard just fine but it will not provide me with a bios version, and it shows the system inventory as empty. The web KVM access shows the display as having no signal when accessed. When I try to access the machine by plugging in a monitor through the VGA port, I don't see anything and my monitor gets no signal.

Any tips on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

7 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

Hi there,

I recently got a ASRock Rack X470D4U and I've been trying to set it up but for some reason the system is not posting. I can access the IPMI dashboard just fine but it will not provide me with a bios version, and it shows the system inventory as empty. The web KVM access shows the display as having no signal when accessed. When I try to access the machine by plugging in a monitor through the VGA port, I don't see anything and my monitor gets no signal.

Any tips on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Anything on its Debug LED? Also whats the CPU and RAM installed right now?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryBella said:

Anything on its Debug LED? Also whats the CPU and RAM installed right now?

The debug LED is not showing anything. I have a Ryzen 7 3800x installed for the CPU. For the ram, I am not entirely sure because I'm using the remains of a pre-built I used to have. I can tell you that I have 2 sticks of 8gb and one of those sticks is G.Skill.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

4 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

The debug LED is not showing anything. I have a Ryzen 7 3800x installed for the CPU. For the ram, I am not entirely sure because I'm using the remains of a pre-built I used to have. I can tell you that I have 2 sticks of 8gb and one of those sticks is G.Skill.

Welp time to remount the CPU. Remember to make sure that you're not mounting the cooler too tight or too loose, and that its even.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Welp time to remount the CPU. Remember to make sure that you're not mounting the cooler too tight or too loose, and that its even.

Would I need to reapply thermal paste?

13 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Just finished this, nothing change. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the debug lights show something if there was an issue with the cpu?

1 minute ago, DriedSponge said:

Just finished this, nothing change. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the debug lights show something if there was an issue with the cpu?

They do but sometimes it just does nothing when the CPU fully dies. That rules it out being not working at all.

Can you verify the BIOS version its installed with? Should be on the barcode sticker on these boards.

5 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

They do but sometimes it just does nothing when the CPU fully dies. That rules it out being not working at all.

Can you verify the BIOS version its installed with? Should be on the barcode sticker on these boards.

Yes, it's 4.20.

Quick update, I removed both of my ram sticks and but one back into one of the blue slots and now the debug light is counting down.

Ok I think re-seating the ram is what did it. My next question is what is the difference between the blue and white slots? I originally had both sticks in the white slots but now I have just one in one of the blue slots.

5 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

Yes, it's 4.20.

For 2 stick operation, asrock recommends the RAM to be plugged in A1 and B1 slot, and Asrock recommends A1 to be filled first. So if you havent followed the former do so even though any configuration should work on a dual channel, but if you have test each RAM on the A1 slot before every other slot.

3 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

This is great to know. Thank you so much for your trouble shooting help!