The Last of Us crashing

Modinstaller

In some areas (only some), the game crashes. Sometimes it's just once in a while, other times it crashes less than a minute after I've loaded the game back up.

So far, 2 areas have been very problematic. Graveyard, and financial district. Crashes mere seconds after I boot the game back up. In graveyard, lowering graphics to very low fixed the crashing altogether, but boy was the game ugly. In financial district, very low only gives me a few minutes to progress before it crashes again.

I'm only 40% into the game apparently and I fully expect this to happen again so I'd rather fix it now. However, nothing works. Downgrading to an older version doesn't work, trying a different "oodle" dll which at some point fixed issues for some people doesn't work, updating bios firmware and chipset drivers, disabling rebar or xmp, increasing pagefile, rebuilding shader cache, limiting fps, decreasing resolution, none of that worked.

When the last crash happened, in MSI Afterburner I could see 2 things happening:

Commit memory jumped from 33GB to 54GB

Ram usage jumped from 16.4GB to 17.6GB

Vram usage stayed at 9.5GB where it had been sitting forever.

My card is a 6900XT so 16GB vram. CPU is a 12700kf.

This seems to be a ram issue, but why the hell am I the only one experiencing it with my high end computer and does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix it?

39 minutes ago, Modinstaller said:

In some areas (only some), the game crashes. Sometimes it's just once in a while, other times it crashes less than a minute after I've loaded the game back up.

So far, 2 areas have been very problematic. Graveyard, and financial district. Crashes mere seconds after I boot the game back up. In graveyard, lowering graphics to very low fixed the crashing altogether, but boy was the game ugly. In financial district, very low only gives me a few minutes to progress before it crashes again.

I'm only 40% into the game apparently and I fully expect this to happen again so I'd rather fix it now. However, nothing works. Downgrading to an older version doesn't work, trying a different "oodle" dll which at some point fixed issues for some people doesn't work, updating bios firmware and chipset drivers, disabling rebar or xmp, increasing pagefile, rebuilding shader cache, limiting fps, decreasing resolution, none of that worked.

When the last crash happened, in MSI Afterburner I could see 2 things happening:

Commit memory jumped from 33GB to 54GB

Ram usage jumped from 16.4GB to 17.6GB

Vram usage stayed at 9.5GB where it had been sitting forever.

My card is a 6900XT so 16GB vram. CPU is a 12700kf.

This seems to be a ram issue, but why the hell am I the only one experiencing it with my high end computer and does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix it?

Pretty sure I have seen reports of this before, specifically when you have as much/more VRAM than system RAM.

The game will load assets based on VRAM but there wont be enough system RAM to handle it (as assets must be loaded into system RAM before sending them to VRAM), thus crashes.  Try lowering the resolution, lowering the texture quality?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Modinstaller said:

Aah I forgot to mention I have 32GB ram.

Figures it wouldn't be that simple (and I missed you tried resolution anyway).

I can't remember how far I got, given I've already played this game twice on Playstation I haven't finished it on PC yet due to other games being more interesting.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm bumping an old topic, but I had the same issue and I finally got an error along with the latest crash yesterday.

After I looked up the error online, I found this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-error-exception-break/cb222a25-89c2-4b36-910e-9130bc686cba

While I was following the first step, once I run the "sfc /scannow" command, I got a message that the scan found a problem and fixed it.

After I restarted (which took a while) and run the game again, I managed to play for a few hours without a crash and get through the Financial District area, so it looks like the issue might have been fixed for me.

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:31 AM, Modinstaller said:

So far, 2 areas have been very problematic. Graveyard, and financial district. Crashes mere seconds after I boot the game back up.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:31 AM, Modinstaller said:

Ahaaaa so this crashes on ultra high end computers too!

I always thought it is a VRAM problem (because I have only 10 gigs on my Sapphire Pulse Radeon 6700 OC) but the devs where not able to port this game to PC, creating a game that is crashing every 5 to 15 minutes for no plausible reason whatsoever on all systems - and never ever patched it.

Geforce users where fully hating on their Geforce drivers and on Geforce, and wrote everywhere "it´s the Gefore driver v. xxx.xxxxx.xxxxxx and my evil Geforce that is preventing them from enjoying The Last of Us 1."

But it´s exactly the same on my AMD/Radeon computer with brandnew drivers almost half a year after release.

I have tried every possible solution on the internet and on YouTube to get this game running in the graveyard level yesterday. (Of course all tricks except that typical worthless customer support nonsense like "Is your computer plugged in? You should check if your computer is correctly plugged in! Do you have a Windows installed on your computer? Is your Windows up to date? Again if it keeps crashing re-check if your computer plugged in! It is clearly a power supply PSU problem clearly your 700w power supply is to weak for a processor that needs 65 watts and a graphics card with 110 watts average you must now buy a 2000 watts PSU to run this game because it is a very very high end game. You need to clear your RAM cache! Have you checked if your monitor VGA cable is fully plugged in with the screws firmly attached? Is your mouse driver up to date? Go to system controls and click mouse driver update, and after updating again check if your computer is fully plugged in..........") Blah blah blah blah nonsense all completely worthless typical generic customer support nonsense that has solved not one single software problem since 1981. 😄

I have even installed a fresh Windows 10 Pro copy in late autumn, months after TLOU PC version released, with all fresh new drivers, and it stayed the exact same technical dumpsterfire with the same back-to-desktop-surprise every few minutes.) The 2 hours refund time already passed.

The other tips from YouTubers where also promising the magic fix, like switch off AMD bar / AMD SAM and forced-AA.... some YouTube users even commented with "thank you so much finally I can play with no crash for over an hour now" but none of these tricks solve the problem on my system here.

Setting everything to "lowest" settings and the resolution to the lowest resolution unfortunately does not solve the problem either, but that was the first trick that delayed the crash to desktop for ~3 minutes longer instead of instant.

This is officially the first PC game since I build this computer in 2020 for the new flight sim that simply does not function (and I have dozens of games with no problems whatsoever, all of the on ultra maxed out and 2560x1440, and even all the awesome retro stuff launches fine too). The graveyard level is now officially the end of The Last of Us PC version, now there is no chance to continue after having tried every possible solution on the internet.

But wait these where only all solutions from the English-speaking internet!

Should I try search engines with other languages hoping to find a random magic fix? 😄

Hm I bought TLOU Collector´s Edition for PS3, the a bit enhanced version for PS4, but the visually most sophisticated version with the best-looking funghus-ridden apocalypse wastelands (PC/PS5) simply refuses to continue after having arrived at the graveyard........ is there any chance the devs will patch this problem?

There was a superb new Radeon driver update yesterday with the best Fluid Motion Frames Feature ever. All games run so superb fluid now with this AI in-between-frames rendering like they where melted butter, even Tekken 8 which before sometimes had a slight stutter for the fracture of a second before doing certain moves - a pure dream.

Unfortunately.... The Last of Us kept crashing all the time.

As usual.

Even with the newest driver. And of course no game update to solve this problem will come, ever.

I also read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/13qwkhx/the_last_of_us_part_i_keep_crashing_at_graveyard/

... and it seems to be a problem of the game itself, a bug in the game engine making the game crash all the time an early area called "Graveyard" and somewhere in an area called "Finance District".

Plus everyone kept saying "you need to switch off AMD BAR - but in the BIOS. I was able to play it after I switched it off in the BIOS..."

Since the new driver update AMD SAM (or BAR) has now a new tab now called "Smart Technology", the Last of Us maybe does not like Smart Technology with AMD SAM so one needs to switch off all that Smart Technology for the time being.

I did two things, switched off AMD BAR (you can do that by setting PCIe_1 slot to x3, or switch it off somewhere hidden deeper in the BIOS functions).

So switch if off this way, and boot.

You should also set the graphics and AI functions to lowest settings, this (sometimes) delays the unavoidable crash also for a minute or so.

Afterwards you ran as fast as possible through the graveyard area with all these empty suburb gardens and houses where the game kept crashing all the time (you have about 30 seconds to one minute until it crashes) so simply run as fast as possible through the level to the cat door and when you´re out, you are safe and the bug is overcome.

The game should run completely normal afterwards with no more crashes as soon as you are through this cat door, like every other fine well-mannered game behaves.

Switch everything back to ultra maxed-out graphics settings and 2k resolution and AMD FSR2.

Voilá - now the game runs perfect, for almost half an hour now 🙂

Finally.

Maybe a few random crashes will occur every few hours, but the game is no longer unplayable and no longer keeps crashing every minute like it did in the Graveyard level.

Enjoy the apocalypse! 😄

2024-01-27 16_59_53-Greenshot.jpg

2024-01-27 17_00_17-Greenshot.jpg