Enermax Everest Advance 12cm

thebennyboy

I bought this fan to use as my CPU fan. It performs well, but it has some pretty big issues. The build quality is pretty bad compared to other brands, seemly quite flimsy. Now, the one issue i had was the RPM switch. It has 3 speed levels. 500 - 1000RPM, 500 - 1300RPM and 500 - 1600RPM. That fan switch was very flimsy, so much so that it snapped off when switching the mode. The fan i got also seemed to have rather bad coil whine. The retailer also refused an RMA of it, which i have now made a complaint about.

Pictures:

2265141-l-a.jpg2265141-l-b.jpg

What do i rate it?

Build Quality: 4/10 - It's not the worst build quality but could be so much better.

Performance: 9/10 - It performed very well keeping my CPU below 55C under full load.

Price/Performance: 7/10 - It performs well for the price but needs better build quality.

Would i recommend it? - Personally, no. Trying to make my system as quiet as possible, the coil whine and the broken RPM switch.

Broken switch: 

DSC_0114.jpg

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Pics are pretty much necessary for a review.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Have now edited it to contain pics.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

i have two cluster advance fans and i can't complain, my rpm switch never broke and there are no issues with coil whine. It does get quite audible when my cpu (fx 8320 @ 4.3ghz reaches full load) but i can't hear it over my headphones

Picture

3mvNXu7.jpg

I think i probably just got a faulty unit.

I have a few enermax twister fans here that came with my enermax liqtech 120x. They advertise their fans like "easy to remove fan blades to clean dust that trapped in the bearing blabla", which I tried and broke off immediately. It's a noisy fan even at 400 rpm you can hear the bearing noise from a meter away making chirping noise >.>

I'm not sure why you would rate a fan for its price/performance - there are plenty of 10$ fans (like the swiftech helix) that are very quiet and excellent performing fans. Those fans are not made to be quiet and should be avoided