Laptop capslock blinking 5 long 3 short on boot after attempting to change ram

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-Ec0101ax

Currently had my ram installed in secondary slot with 5.9gb available. So bought a compatible ram and installed it in the primary slot. Now the entire new ram is shown as reserved memory. Stats are 10.1gb reserved ram and 5.9gb available.

So now I tried to install the new ram in the secondary slot alone and I see 5.3 blinks on capslock and no boot screen. Even tried moving old ram to primary, facing same 5.3 blinks. Tried all possible configurations but only where the old ram is in secondary slot is booting up without throwing the blank screen with 5.3 blinks
Any help?

Extra context for the laptop if any relevancy:  

1 hour ago, Uday_Sama said:

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-Ec0101ax

Currently had my ram installed in secondary slot with 5.9gb available. So bought a compatible ram and installed it in the primary slot. Now the entire new ram is shown as reserved memory. Stats are 10.1gb reserved ram and 5.9gb available.

So now I tried to install the new ram in the secondary slot alone and I see 5.3 blinks on capslock and no boot screen. Even tried moving old ram to primary, facing same 5.3 blinks. Tried all possible configurations but only where the old ram is in secondary slot is booting up without throwing the blank screen with 5.3 blinks
Any help?

Extra context for the laptop if any relevancy:  

As a frequent flyer of HP products, I can tell you you likely made the mistake of likely not using a QVL part. 

31 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

As a frequent flyer of HP products, I can tell you you likely made the mistake of likely not using a QVL part. 

Hey, I dont know how to verify this honestly, but I have an SK Hynix 8gb 3200mhz ram which runs at 2400 due to amd 3550h limitations. So I bought a new SK Hynix ram with same exact spec again, to avoid mismatches. Kinda feels like that might not be issue here but its HP so I might be wrong

21 minutes ago, Uday_Sama said:

Hey, I dont know how to verify this honestly, but I have an SK Hynix 8gb 3200mhz ram which runs at 2400 due to amd 3550h limitations. So I bought a new SK Hynix ram with same exact spec again, to avoid mismatches. Kinda feels like that might not be issue here but its HP so I might be wrong

I've got a similar era pavilion (3700u) and it's got 2666 sticks limited to 2400, I'll pop the bottom in the morning to see what the part number is.

5 hours ago, Uday_Sama said:

So now I tried to install the new ram in the secondary slot alone and I see 5.3 blinks on capslock and no boot screen.

according to hp page the 5 long and 3 short mean "the component cannot be not reached by the BIOS within the established time limit."

what you could try doing is after installing the new ram is to drain the cmos battery to reset the bios. To do this :
1. make sure device is off and is not plugged in to the charger
2. hold the power button usually 10, 30 or 60 second depending on laptop manufacture
3. try turning on the laptop

if this still doesnt work, what i would although I WOULDNT RECOMMEND YOU DO IT if you aren't comfortable doing it, is to use screwdriver and lightly scratch the ram gold contact. but i would only do this if the ram is totally undetected on any slot no matter what the condition is

5 hours ago, Chris2002 said:

according to hp page the 5 long and 3 short mean "the component cannot be not reached by the BIOS within the established time limit."

what you could try doing is after installing the new ram is to drain the cmos battery to reset the bios. To do this :
1. make sure device is off and is not plugged in to the charger
2. hold the power button usually 10, 30 or 60 second depending on laptop manufacture
3. try turning on the laptop

if this still doesnt work, what i would although I WOULDNT RECOMMEND YOU DO IT if you aren't comfortable doing it, is to use screwdriver and lightly scratch the ram gold contact. but i would only do this if the ram is totally undetected on any slot no matter what the condition is

I kind of tried this. I removed the battery connection for a minute, held the power button in that minute, started again, couldn't unplug the cmos as I couldnt find it). Same issue if I swapped the old ram from its original(secondary) slot. It feels weird cause from what I understand ram shouldn't affect on why my bios isn't being recognized right? Like I could drop in a new kit of ram and should be able to swap it and boot up right?

Also I dont think it would be a faulty new ram as it kind of recognized itself but as reserved memory in the primary slot. Why does something like that happen? Even if the ram slot is faulty it shouldnt be able to recognize it right?

8 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I've got a similar era pavilion (3700u) and it's got 2666 sticks limited to 2400, I'll pop the bottom in the morning to see what the part number is.

Sweet, but I dont think the ram speed matters here no? Rams should be backwards compatible for any lower speeds tho

Like I could drop in a new kit of ram and should be able to swap it and boot up right?

installing new ram is pretty much the simplest thing and nothing could go wrong. But it might be personal bias or something but I have a really bad experience with my HP gaming laptop and my friend HP gaming laptop where doing something as simple as reinstalling windows cause the storage to die and upgrading ram resulting with bios bricked and had to be send back for warranty. As a result I personally wouldn't be using HP laptop for a while.

Also I dont think it would be a faulty new ram as it kind of recognized itself but as reserved memory in the primary slot. Why does something like that happen? Even if the ram slot is faulty it shouldnt be able to recognize it right?

if i look up your laptop right and it has amd cpu, then the ram is used as vram for your integrated gpu. Why? since amd igpu is using your system memory since the APU it self doesn't have memory. So how do you fix this? well unless your laptop has mux switch where you can switch your laptop display to use dedicated GPU like nvidia instead of integrated gpu then there is no way to fix it, since your igpu need memory to work and display something. 

Sweet, but I dont think the ram speed matters here no? Rams should be backwards compatible for any lower speeds tho

sadly in the case of laptop, this is not true to all laptop. Some laptop has the ability to switch lower the speed and adjust to what it supports while some other just doesnt accept ram speed that is not on spec. so if you got a ram faster or slower than the spec says, thats probably the issue.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:01 PM, Chris2002 said:

installing new ram is pretty much the simplest thing and nothing could go wrong. But it might be personal bias or something but I have a really bad experience with my HP gaming laptop and my friend HP gaming laptop where doing something as simple as reinstalling windows cause the storage to die and upgrading ram resulting with bios bricked and had to be send back for warranty. As a result I personally wouldn't be using HP laptop for a while.

if i look up your laptop right and it has amd cpu, then the ram is used as vram for your integrated gpu. Why? since amd igpu is using your system memory since the APU it self doesn't have memory. So how do you fix this? well unless your laptop has mux switch where you can switch your laptop display to use dedicated GPU like nvidia instead of integrated gpu then there is no way to fix it, since your igpu need memory to work and display something. 

sadly in the case of laptop, this is not true to all laptop. Some laptop has the ability to switch lower the speed and adjust to what it supports while some other just doesnt accept ram speed that is not on spec. so if you got a ram faster or slower than the spec says, thats probably the issue.

Oh trust me..I am personally going to advise everyone I know to stay away from hp for sure. It has been such a shitty experience since 2 years. My friend's acer lappy with similar spec wipes the floor with my mine.

But why would the entire new ram in slot 1 be recognized as integrated memory for igpu ;_; I get the part of reserving a little memory but this seems like a bug

This shitty laptop surely does not have a mux config. So that part is out of question.

The factory ram provided was 3200mhz so I highly doubt that is the issue here. It works at a lower config 

On 7/15/2023 at 11:28 AM, Uday_Sama said:

But why would the entire new ram in slot 1 be recognized as integrated memory for igpu ;_; I get the part of reserving a little memory but this seems like a bug

i experience this once in the past (asus a455l i5 5200u gt930m) where my ram is 4gb usable 3.9gb and when i upgrade to 8gb its still usable 3.9gb. i fix it by going to msconfig > boot > advanced option and turned off everything and that helped fixed the issue. not sure if this works to all but hopefully this helped.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:28 AM, Uday_Sama said:

The factory ram provided was 3200mhz so I highly doubt that is the issue here. It works at a lower config 

thats the catch something they just refuse to work if you use slower one, especially if you use 2 mismatched speed. my friend had an experience where his laptop somehow couldnt accept a certain model of ram and have to buy the slightly more expensive ram despite the same speed rank and everything.