Temporary files makes pc start slower (old title: Bios load fast, rtx 4090 driver load is very slow (black screen then W10 appears before password))

Go to solution Solved by Fracteller,

LITTLE UPDATE: 
@Sawa Takahashi @mrjason

For those who are having this problem, this fixed mine! https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/173242-long-loading-windows-10-login.html it was the temporary files! 

From 1m 5 seconds to 40 seconds as always. Never thought that temporary files could do that! Never happened to me. 

I knew that it's fixable

Hi everyone, I hope you're fine 🌞

Recently I noticed that my pc take too much time to load windows, here's a video to show you what I mean.

This is weird because I upgraded to a Samsung 980 Pro 2TO (the newer version, without that bug thing), copy and paste speeds are amazing in windows.

I disabled all the unnecessary apps on start up. Fast Startup is also disabled. I also tried to disconnect every peripheral but nothing changed. I also checked for boot order and it was my Samsung. 

Here's my config:

CPU: Amd 3950x 
Mobo: Asus Tuf x570 gaming
GPU: MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
NVME: Samsung Pro 980 2TO
PSU: MPG A1000G
Sound card: FocUSrite Scarlett Solo 3Rd Gen

From what you're seeing in the video, what could it be? We can agree that the bios loads fast but loading windows is slow right? 

Thanks!

IMG_1570.MOV

It looks a bit pokey, but I personally wouldn't care.  

I boot windows less than once a week, so that's nothing that's going to impact me using the computer.

You could try this?  But I don't think it's really an issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-and-dismexe-online-cleanup-image/db3b24de-a261-403e-9d11-8141d13f7954

49 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It looks a bit pokey, but I personally wouldn't care.  

I boot windows less than once a week, so that's nothing that's going to impact me using the computer.

You could try this?  But I don't think it's really an issue

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-and-dismexe-online-cleanup-image/db3b24de-a261-403e-9d11-8141d13f7954

I tried those commands, all clear. So curious to know what make this happen. 

Anyway to know what takes time to load while windows is booting? Not in the task manager, not is Startup app, but some kind of log or something, that shows what is happening after loading the bios?

2 hours ago, Fracteller said:

Anyway to know what takes time to load while windows is booting? Not in the task manager, not is Startup app, but some kind of log or something, that shows what is happening after loading the bios?

You can always try the Event viewer but chances are that you'll see so much data that it will be irrelevant anyway (but feel free to take a look, you never know).

When you switched to your new Samsung SSD, did you go with a fresh install of Windows or cloned the boot drive ? I know it's a pain but a fresh install may solve that kind of behavior. Maybe there is a driver mismatch due to the change in hardware and this shows up as long boot times.

Anyway, good luck !

29 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

You can always try the Event viewer but chances are that you'll see so much data that it will be irrelevant anyway (but feel free to take a look, you never know).

When you switched to your new Samsung SSD, did you go with a fresh install of Windows or cloned the boot drive ? I know it's a pain but a fresh install may solve that kind of behavior. Maybe there is a driver mismatch due to the change in hardware and this shows up as long boot times.

Anyway, good luck !

I really don't remember, I think clean install because I made my windows partition bigger (had to reinstall everything), everything was fine with fast startup and one day it started to take +30 secondes.

Would be so cool to know if there's anyway to see a log of apps that loads on startup. 

Thanks for your wish!

Double check there is no firmware update available for your new NVME. 

14 hours ago, mrjason said:

Double check there is no firmware update available for your new NVME. 

No updates for the NVME

16 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

I think the utility Process Monitor can help you. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I did not try it, but you can take a look at what it is supposed to do before installing.

Oh that may help yes, I'll need to check if this program create logs when turning the pc on, thanks

@Sawa Takahashi @tkitch @mrjason Today I tested with Safe Mode, I noticed that the same problem happening, usually Safe mode is the fastest and loads only the essentials, so from what I understand it is not a windows issue or something. 

Later I will update my GPU drivers (since it's like a black screen), i'll see if something changed. 

21 minutes ago, Fracteller said:

@Sawa Takahashi @tkitch @mrjason Today I tested with Safe Mode, I noticed that the same problem happening, usually Safe mode is the fastest and loads only the essentials, so from what I understand it is not a windows issue or something. 

Later I will update my GPU drivers (since it's like a black screen), i'll see if something changed. 

Do you have memory timings set correctly in BIOS?

3 minutes ago, mrjason said:

Do you have memory timings set correctly in BIOS?

I really don't know, I have XMP enabled, two different kits of ram at 3000 mhz, 128gb (Two kits of 32gb x 2, so 4 sticks of 32 gb).

I don't think it's ram because it was normal before.

16 minutes ago, Fracteller said:

I really don't know, I have XMP enabled, two different kits of ram at 3000 mhz, 128gb (Two kits of 32gb x 2, so 4 sticks of 32 gb).

I don't think it's ram because it was normal before.

Disable XMP and see what happens.

No harm in testing. 

@Sawa Takahashi @tkitch @mrjason so I tested the gpu driver thing, uninstalled with DDU in safe mode, when I restared the pc (so gpu-driverless) it booted in 30 seconds. 

This is defenately a gpu driver issue. When I installed the new version, it was back to 1m 05 sec. 

Now that I located the problem, what could it be? Knowing that before it was 40 seconds and one day suddenly it became 1m 05 seconds (Yes i know, it's nothing, i'm just curious)

Up, anyone have an idea please?

I updated gpu driver from 531.41 to 536.4. I also noticed that If I restart the pc, it becomes super fast (windows appears faster) but when logging in with the password, it stucks there for a while (so same scenario as earlier, fast bios but slow windows, this time since (i guess) the gpu driver is loaded, it gets stuck while loading after writing the password.

Edit: well, it's not always fast when I reboot, weird.  

Edited by Fracteller

Sounds strange. Almost as if Fastboot was still active.

Do you have any USB devices plugged in ? Some of them might play a role in that slow Windows boot sequence. Try unplugging all USB devices except keyboard and mouse.

7 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

Do you have any USB devices plugged in ? Some of them might play a role in that slow Windows boot sequence. Try unplugging all USB devices except keyboard and mouse.

I tried this before, let me try it again.

(btw I activated Fast Startup, I gained 4 seconds only lol) 

18 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

Same problem, so defenately not peripherals drivers. 

Should I create another topic in GPU section and link this thread? (any mod?) 

4 hours ago, Fracteller said:

Same problem, so defenately not peripherals drivers. 

Should I create another topic in GPU section and link this thread? (any mod?) 

Maybe reinstall windows and call it a day? 

4 hours ago, Fracteller said:

(btw I activated Fast Startup, I gained 4 seconds only lol) 

I leave Fastboot deactivated because the gain n boot time is not worth the fact that your computer never really shuts down.

Someone else suggested a clean install. Did you try that ?

1 minute ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

I leave Fastboot deactivated because the gain n boot time is not worth the fact that your computer never really shuts down.

Someone else suggested a clean install. Did you try that ?

Yes I just tried the Fast Startup to test, it's usually deactivated.

Well, no I didn't reinstall windows, and it would be a mess to setup everything again, I use alot of programs, like a lot, and my internet speed isn't that fast, max 800ko/s. So deleting everything and reinstalling everything (i'm thinking about Visual Studio and it's content, Unreal Engine things, Android Export Parameters, Python, Houdini docs and setups....) that would be a big mess and I can not work anymore for at least three weeks of downloading/reinstalling/setting up all my previous shortcuts/filesystems/assets.

I'm searching for a suggestion that is not that destructive. Reinstalling windows will be the very very very very last thing i'll do (not even for sure), It will probably work, but that's not finding the reason behind my problem, it's just deleting everything without troubleshooting it

11 minutes ago, mrjason said:

Maybe reinstall windows and call it a day? 

This is just deleting the problem without understanding what's causing this. So it will probably happen again, not a solution. I explained in previous post why I can't uninstall windows for now. 

9 minutes ago, Fracteller said:

I'm searching for a suggestion that is not that destructive. Reinstalling windows will be the very very very very last thing i'll do (not even for sure), It will probably work, but that's not finding the reason behind my problem, it's just deleting everything without troubleshooting it

If your computer is so critically needed for your work, you should have a backup solution just in case something happens. Just sayin' 🙂

Well, if you wanna try something, try swapping your boot drive with an empty one (a 1TB NVMe is very affordable right now) and try installing a fresh Windows to see if it changes anything. You can also reinstall all your stuff on that drive (and swap for the other drive when you have to work).

One contingency plan would be to have a spare NVMe boot drive already loaded and ready to use for cases where you can't recover your Windows and you absolutely need to work on a project.

Good luck !

2 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

If your computer is so critically needed for your work, you should have a backup solution just in case something happens. Just sayin' 🙂

Well, if you wanna try something, try swapping your boot drive with an empty one (a 1TB NVMe is very affordable right now) and try installing a fresh Windows to see if it changes anything. You can also reinstall all your stuff on that drive (and swap for the other drive when you have to work).

One contingency plan would be to have a spare NVMe boot drive already loaded and ready to use for cases where you can't recover your Windows and you absolutely need to work on a project.

Good luck !

Yes having a spare NVME for these kind of tests would be so cool! one all fresh without any prog and another one with same as I have now, to compare

Thank you 😊

• 2 weeks later...

LITTLE UPDATE: 
@Sawa Takahashi @mrjason

For those who are having this problem, this fixed mine! https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/173242-long-loading-windows-10-login.html it was the temporary files! 

From 1m 5 seconds to 40 seconds as always. Never thought that temporary files could do that! Never happened to me. 

I knew that it's fixable