Loudest gpu ever?

brownninja97

95c is still within spec. Also this poll is moot because AMD and nvidia both have had quiet not so quiet and some just down right loud GPUs.

95 was too much because those blocks started to appear, true that both have had some loud GPUs (ahem...Fermi). Im not picking at Tahiti core but the 7970/7950 reference cooler which is horrible, when i bought 7970 DC2 it was very silent and cool.

95 was too much because those blocks started to appear, true that both have had some loud GPUs (ahem...Fermi). Im not picking at Tahiti core but the 7970/7950 reference cooler which is horrible, when i bought 7970 DC2 it was very silent and cool.

Well first off 95c is still within operating spec albeit on the high side for a 7970. Second all Fermi cards were not loud my GTX 560 was silent in fact. Paying extra for a non reference cooler will of course be better than a reference cooler. Lastly generally speaking reference coolers are most of the time louder than non refernce coolers.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Well first off 95c is still within operating spec albeit on the high side for a 7970. Second all Fermi cards were not loud my GTX 560 was silent in fact. Paying extra for a non reference cooler will of course be better than a reference cooler. Lastly generally speaking reference coolers are most of the time louder than non refernce coolers.

Well that 7970 was operating at 95 although with horrible graphical glitches, i tested same clocks with 100% fan speed temps little over 80 and glitches were gone.

I meant mainly 400 series Fermi 480/470.

Yeah custom coolers are usually better but from time to time few monstrosities rises from the deep corners of hell to torment mankind like Gigabyte's 7970 Super OverClock

2012-07-13-image-3.jpg

From Hardwarecanucks:

HD7970-SOC-87.jpg

Considering the mass of Gigabyte’s Windforce 5X heatsink, we’re sure many of you were hoping for much better results here.

HD7970-SOC-47.jpg

The chart above only tells half the story unfortunately. While the Windforce 5X heatsink may look like a relatively mild mannered heatsink in our results, its fans tend to produce most of their noise within higher octaves, a characteristic that becomes quite annoying. Instead of the standard fan noise, be expected for a relatively distracting high pitched whine. So while the Super Overclock isn’t necessarily loud, its fans do produce a unique acoustical signature which isn’t normally associated with high end gaming products from this century.

The Windforce 5X heatsink will be the first thing anyone sees when looking at Gigabyte’s Super Overclock and we have truly mixed feelings about it. On paper the miniscule fans don’t seem all that loud but readings from a decibel meter only tell of part of the acoustics story. Unfortunately, it is the TYPE of sound produced by the Windforce 5X which will stand out. Instead of a low-range “whoosh”, it takes on a higher pitch whine that will have even the most jaded of enthusiasts running for noise cancelling headphones.

Gigabyte’s Windforce 5X heatsink exemplifies why certain ideas should remain on the drawing board. While the design tends to lower some component temperatures by minuscule amounts, it does nothing a reference heatsink can’t accomplish. It actually represents a step backwards from typical blower-style setups since the card’s heat is dumped directly into your enclosure’s confines and core temperatures aren’t vastly improved. With the limited overseas release, Gigabyte seems to be admitting their Super Overclock’s heatsink may not have been widely accepted in North America. We tend to agree.

Well that 7970 was operating at 95 although with horrible graphical glitches, i tested same clocks with 100% fan speed temps little over 80 and glitches were gone.

I meant mainly 400 series Fermi 480/470.

Yeah custom coolers are usually better but from time to time few monstrosities rises from the deep corners of hell to torment mankind like Gigabyte's 7970 Super OverClock

We are not talking about a gigabyte special edition card. Less fans the better. I operate on the same rational as TTL "Tiny Tom Logan" over at Overclock3D in that I rather a warmer card with less noise than a cool card that sounds like a vacum cleaner.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

We are not talking about a gigabyte special edition card. Less fans the better. I operate on the same rational as TTL "Tiny Tom Logan" over at Overclock3D in that I rather a warmer card with less noise than a cool card that sounds like a vacum cleaner.

Yeah i brought up that gigabyte card as a joke, i share the same rational too as i am somewhat silence addict. I usually leave some overclocking headroom so that i am able run CPU & GPU almost silent, that includes sometimes painful micromanaging with GPU fan profile and i use the resistors/fan controller to lower the rpm of case and radiator fans.

GTX 480's hands down

also fu EA

480 aren't that bad.

6990s are probably the worst. I think the 4870x2 was supposed to be really bad as well.

lol i remember this from back in the day...

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

Yeah i brought up that gigabyte card as a joke, i share the same rational too as i am somewhat silence addict. I usually leave some overclocking headroom so that i am able run CPU & GPU almost silent, that includes sometimes painful micromanaging with GPU fan profile and i use the resistors/fan controller to lower the rpm of case and radiator fans.

I just research which cards run silent on Auto before I buy it. The Gigabyte "Windforce" HD 7850 I have now is silent on Auto never ramps up from default fan speed and never gets hotter than 53c under max load.

480 aren't that bad.

Ya I heard that the first GTX 480 were extremly loud but that after a firmware update from nvidia they were actual not that bad as the hype otherwsie made it seem. Hardware Canucks even said that in his opinion the GTX 480 was not that louf especially considering it's repetation he exspected it to be much louder.

It all depends on what generation of cards we are talking about.

I mean for the current one i think amd is louder in general as well as the last one but nvidias 480 was loud as hell.

So i guess the only true one to choose without getting more specification is the **ck ea option =P

Ya I heard that the first GTX 480 were extremly loud but that after a firmware update from nvidia they were actual not that bad as the hype otherwsie made it seem. Hardware Canucks even said that in his opinion the GTX 480 was not that louf especially considering it's repetation he exspected it to be much louder.

I run SLI 480s on a custom fan curve. They are at 1.000V and stay around 78-84 degrees under load, depending on room temperature. The fans usually run around 4000RPM under load; it would probably be closer to 90 degrees with the stock Vcore of 1.088V. Not exactly what you want if you are a fan of silence.

frak EA gotta pick that one

Console gamers, behind PC gamers by ten years since 2000

My GTX 295 was a concorde airplane

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Fx 5800 ultra like a few other people said, a gtx 480 didn't even come near the noise level to what that thing had

Exactly, it was old skool loud, and I do mean LOUD! Here's the vid, enjoy! :D

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + TR Phantom Spirit 120 EVO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Oh god, I never knew how badly designed that FX5800 coolers was, and the fins are so thick. Who thought that was a good idea?

I had an FX 5800 Ultra once. Whoever said it was noisier than a Fermi 470 or 480 is downright wrong, my 470 is cracking the wall it's next to through sheer force of sonic screech.

Slightly exaggerated, but it gets the point across.

Meh, maybe I'm wrong. But they're close.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I had an FX 5800 Ultra once. Whoever said it was noisier than a Fermi 470 or 480 is downright wrong, my 470 is cracking the wall it's next to through sheer force of sonic screech.

Slightly exaggerated, but it gets the point across.

Meh, maybe I'm wrong. But they're close.

To refresh your memory  :)

9800GX2

Do I have to say more?

Great card,,EPIC Fail on the cooling solution.

All you young whippersnappers forget the good old days when video cards were heard in the next county over.  For instance you had the FX 5800 Ultra and the ATI 2900 XT, which I've heard a lot people say was even louder.

I can tell you, no 8800 GT or 9800 GX2 could touch those cards when it came to noise pollution.  Especially not a GTX 480.

I remember buying a $50 piece of crap card that had its fan speed stuck at 100% at all times. I did try to change the settings ... I could turn the speed down and it would stay at 100% and then at about 48% the fan would suddenly stop and make terrible, noisy attempts at spinning. I don't remember what the model was, but I believe it was a XFX card.

Luckily, the woman for whom I bought it is almost deaf.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Hand down the FX 5800 Ultra.