How to boot PC without support for integrated graphics?

I am getting an HP hana motherboard from an omen as a hand-me-down. It has no HDMI on the board and says it doesn't support integrated graphics on the HP website. (Even though it came with ryzen 5700g) I won't have GPU to even boot with, and can't imagine how I would put drivers on for GPU when I get one if I can't boot the computer in the first place?

4 minutes ago, Joe Dad said:

can't imagine how I would put drivers on for GPU when I get one if I can't boot the computer in the first place?

the gpu displays an image without any drivers as the os and board support basic hardware functions to allow the screen to be viewable to do such a task

this was established during the plug and play era in the mid 1990s as a standard

I just remember back in my day I'd have to plug directly to VGA on motherboard to get drivers for GPU in mid 2000's. Windows 7 or xp would never have just worked if you plopped a GPU in and tried using it. But boards had VGA no matter what and would boot that way.

12 hours ago, Joe Dad said:

I just remember back in my day I'd have to plug directly to VGA on motherboard to get drivers for GPU in mid 2000's. Windows 7 or xp would never have just worked if you plopped a GPU in and tried using it. But boards had VGA no matter what and would boot that way.

ok well thats not what the standard was in the mid 2000s. all gpus supported basic functions until drivers were installed so unless you are the only one who was using a non plug and play gpu in the mid 2000s then chances are the situation was the same.

Were you even alive in 2000s?

Tbh plug and play for peripherals more than anything. Back in the day you couldn't just plug a wifi card or anything into a computer without going online via lan first and downloading drivers. Windows 7 was notorious for not having any more than drivers to boot a motherboard, and you had to scour the internet for drivers for all your hardware back then. Anything not just gpu.

10 minutes ago, Joe Dad said:

Tbh plug and play for peripherals more than anything. Back in the day you couldn't just plug a wifi card or anything into a computer without going online via lan first and downloading drivers. Windows 7 was notorious for not having any more than drivers to boot a motherboard, and you had to scour the internet for drivers for all your hardware back then. Anything not just gpu.

Windows 7 never functioned like that, it is fully capable of loading multitudes of drivers for many different wifi cards using basic Microsoft drivers which you can then update with proper ones. Windows 98, yes, you needed drivers first for everything, often loaded on a CD as your network would not function either. Windows XP was entirely depending on how new your hardware was at the time but 99% of the time your wired network cards would be recognized. Were you alive in the 2000s?

And GPUs? All the way back to the beginning you could "plug it in" and get an image, you don't need drivers to get a basic low res image out of a card. Doesn't matter about Windows. Did you use DOS at all?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 7/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, Joe Dad said:

I am getting an HP hana motherboard from an omen as a hand-me-down. It has no HDMI on the board and says it doesn't support integrated graphics on the HP website. (Even though it came with ryzen 5700g) I won't have GPU to even boot with, and can't imagine how I would put drivers on for GPU when I get one if I can't boot the computer in the first place?

You will be required to purchase a GPU as the motherboard has no I/O for that.

You will not be required to download drivers to display an image on your monitor.

You should download graphics drivers once connected to the internet for better performance from your graphics card (better resolutions, refresh rates, optimizations).

53 minutes ago, Joe Dad said:

Yes a small percentage of devices do requires drivers to work, however Microsoft has combatted this with universal drivers and a huge database of drivers from approved vendors that will be downloaded automatically, I believe this started late in the development of Windows 98, popular linux distros like ubuntu do this too.

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

18 hours ago, Joe Dad said:

Windows 7 or xp would never have just worked if you plopped a GPU in and tried using it. But boards had VGA no matter what and would boot that way.

From experience, that's wrong. Both XP and 7 would load basic video drivers at a very low resolution (800x600 comes to mind). Installing the proper drivers let Windows figure out what screen resolutions were supported by your monitor vs the locked low-res default. But getting video out of some kind was never a problem for me on XP or later.

And my first build didn't have built-in VGA of any kind as Core 2 didn't have an iGPU - without a discreet GPU there was no video out for that system, the reason it still has a GTX 750 installed so it remains usable should I need it.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:13 AM, Joe Dad said:

It has no HDMI on the board and says it doesn't support integrated graphics on the HP website. (Even though it came with ryzen 5700g)

The APU is academic. If the board doesn't have any display out (and picture searches for HP hana suggest that to be the case), you'll need a dGPU as an APU can't pass a video signal to a non-existent output.

--

The way around this is that you need a discreet GPU. It's that simple.

The far more complicated an expensive option would be to use a different computer to install Windows and drivers, then move the SSD to the HP motherboard. You could set up TeamViewer and use it as a headless (i.e. no peripherals) computer - but without video out, for which you'll absolutely need a GPU, that's as much as you'll get from it.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

1 hour ago, Joe Dad said:

Were you even alive in 2000s?

Plenty of us were alive and well into our 20s in the year 2000. Now we are old and grumpy, but we have not lost our minds that much. Windows has had basic display drivers baked in since long before win 7.

Edit... Previously called xddm. Starting with windows 2000

Of course the drivers were there, but if you didn't know exactly your part number and info for it good luck finding the right one. No one ever use non OEM windows with random used parts? Cuz whether y'all agree or not it was real. In fact I just heard Linus or someone talking about this and how they came prepared with all the right drivers on a flash drive to make sure everything works properly. And ya I'm grumpy and old too. Hence why I gave so much energy to this nonsense. Smart ass comments from pink haired girls, and over explained answers from know it all's. Thanks... I guess

12 minutes ago, Joe Dad said:

Of course the drivers were there, but if you didn't know exactly your part number and info for it good luck finding the right one. No one ever use non OEM windows with random used parts? Cuz whether y'all agree or not it was real. In fact I just heard Linus or someone talking about this and how they came prepared with all the right drivers on a flash drive to make sure everything works properly. And ya I'm grumpy and old too. Hence why I gave so much energy to this nonsense. Smart ass comments from pink haired girls, and over explained answers from know it all's. Thanks... I guess

I bet you're fun at parties.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

1 hour ago, Joe Dad said:

You said that the machine would not boot because lack of drivers. That is simple false. Old windows would boot at 640X480. This was enough to allow you to find and install proper drivers. Do you disagree with this?

I do not disagree.  The problem was when I looked at image there is no HDMI on the board and I didn't know if the gpu could be plugged in and ran in the way a board at 460x480 on VGA did back in the day . My question was answered. But with sarcasm from some (not all) and nonsense. Anyway. Appreciate the helpful answers, not so much to the rest