i7-12700k not boosting

Mr_Estonian
Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@Mr_Estonian

Try clearing the Disable Turbo box on the main ThrottleStop screen. Intel CPUs use turbo boost so they can reach maximum speed. Turbo boost needs to be enabled. Double check your BIOS to make sure Intel Turbo Boost is enabled. 

Are you using the latest BIOS version? Problems like this are usually solved with the most recent BIOS update. 

Your computer has Undervolt Protection enabled. This can cause huge decreases in performance. Run Cinebench and see how your score compares to other computers with the same 12700K CPU. I would recommend disabling Undervolt Protection in the BIOS if your BIOS allows you to do this. UVP is a broken feature that can cut performance in half.

ThrottleStop will not show Undervolt Protection in the FIVR window when this feature has been disabled in the BIOS.

image.png.7e9a3de2fcf1b20c52db620e5af0dab3.png

CPU: i7-12700k
Motherboard: Asus z690-a

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz
PSU: Corsair rm850

GPU: Asus TUF 7900 XTX
CPU Cooler: H150i ELITE CAPELLIX

OS: Win 11 (fresh install yesterday), Graphics driver updated to 23.7.1 

Hello, my CPU clocks don't boost at all, they stay at the base speed when idle or under load.

I have set my bios to default settings, then I turned on "rebar", "XMP".  I did check if "Turbo Boost Max 3.0" was turned on, it was.

Is there anything else I need to do in bios?

@Mr_Estonian

Run ThrottleStop. Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. This should show why turbo boost is not working correctly. 

Go to the Asus website and make sure you are using the latest BIOS version. 

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Mr_Estonian

Run ThrottleStop. Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. This should show why turbo boost is not working correctly. 

Go to the Asus website and make sure you are using the latest BIOS version. 

image_2023-07-08_134659642.png

image_2023-07-08_134719253.png

image_2023-07-08_134749619.png

@Mr_Estonian

Try clearing the Disable Turbo box on the main ThrottleStop screen. Intel CPUs use turbo boost so they can reach maximum speed. Turbo boost needs to be enabled. Double check your BIOS to make sure Intel Turbo Boost is enabled. 

Are you using the latest BIOS version? Problems like this are usually solved with the most recent BIOS update. 

Your computer has Undervolt Protection enabled. This can cause huge decreases in performance. Run Cinebench and see how your score compares to other computers with the same 12700K CPU. I would recommend disabling Undervolt Protection in the BIOS if your BIOS allows you to do this. UVP is a broken feature that can cut performance in half.

ThrottleStop will not show Undervolt Protection in the FIVR window when this feature has been disabled in the BIOS.

10 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Mr_Estonian

Clearing the Disable Turbo box worked for me. Intel turbo boost was turned on in the bios and for some odd reason I can't seem to find the Undervolt Protection feature in my bios, could a bios update let me disable it?

4 hours ago, Mr_Estonian said:

could a bios update let me disable it?

Maybe. Not all BIOS versions allow you to disable Undervolt Protection. 

Try running Cinebench. How does your score compare to others? UVP only needs to be disabled if it is killing performance. 

4 hours ago, Mr_Estonian said:

Intel turbo boost was turned on in the bios

It sounds like your BIOS is not setting the CPU up correctly. Are you running the latest BIOS version? These issues are usually quickly fixed by manufacturers. It is possible that this is a Windows 11 issue. You should not need to use ThrottleStop to enable Turbo Boost. If you do, something is causing this problem. Either the BIOS or Windows 11 is to blame. 

15 hours ago, Mr_Estonian said:

Clearing the Disable Turbo box worked for me. Intel turbo boost was turned on in the bios and for some odd reason I can't seem to find the Undervolt Protection feature in my bios, could a bios update let me disable it?

Cinebench r23 score was fine at around 23000

@unclewebb After the bios update my clocks are at max speed when idle. Is it supposed to do that?

@Mr_Estonian

The Windows power plan controls whether your CPU slows down or not. Use the Windows Balanced power plan if you want a slower CPU when idle.

Keep in mind that Intel CPUs are designed to boost up to max speed when there is the slightest amount of load. If you have a lot of background tasks, the CPU will not slow down.

Intel CPUs running Windows 11 do not slow down like they used to 10 or 20 years ago. That is a good thing. Enable the core C states in the BIOS if saving power is important to you. 

@Mr_Estonian

The Windows power plan controls whether your CPU slows down or not. Use the Windows Balanced power plan if you want a slower CPU when idle.

Keep in mind that Intel CPUs are designed to boost up to max speed when there is the slightest amount of load. If you have a lot of background tasks, the CPU will not slow down.

Intel CPUs running Windows 11 do not slow down like they used to 10 or 20 years ago. That is a good thing. Enable the core C states in the BIOS if saving power is important to you. 

Power saving isn't an issue, I was just wondering if in any way running at max clocks when idle would damage the CPU over time? 

4 minutes ago, Mr_Estonian said:

max clocks

I always run Intel CPUs at max clocks all of the time. Servers with Intel CPUs run 24/7 for years at max speed without any problems. No worries.

I always run Intel CPUs at max clocks all of the time. Servers with Intel CPUs run 24/7 for years at max speed without any problems. No worries.

Alright, thanks