Buying a gaming laptop

Man, just like Linus has said countless times, trying to research and buy a gaming laptop is one of the most convoluted and frustrating things out there in tech. I'm trying to buy a laptop for college and some decent gaming, I'm not trying to play Crisis or Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I'd like something decent.

Right now, the specs I'm looking for is:

• 16gb DDR4 or better
  • A decent quad of hex core CPU that allows me to run simulators or intese calculations (I'm an enginering student)
  • A 2070 or better (for a bit of future proofing, I don't want some 1650 or something)
  • Decent battery life so it can last a few classes
  • I don't need crazy storage because I already have an SSD I'll just throw in
  • I don't really care about the display, though 75hz or above wouldn't be bad

I've been looking just about everywhere, and I cant find anything under $ 1,000 which i know seems optimistic, but I feel like these requirements aren't too crazy, I'm not even asking for DDR5 or a 4000 series gpu. I'm paranoid about over paying for a name brand rather than a quality product. Maybe I'm way left field here, and I know I'm not the first or the last person to complain about this, but man, buying a laptop is such a pain.

4 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

I don't need crazy storage because I already have an SSD I'll just throw in

it's an m.2 one right?

4 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

Man, just like Linus has said countless times, trying to research and buy a gaming laptop is one of the most convoluted and frustrating things out there in tech. I'm trying to buy a laptop for college and some decent gaming, I'm not trying to play Crisis or Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I'd like something decent.

Right now, the specs I'm looking for is:

• 16gb DDR4 or better
  • A decent quad of hex core CPU that allows me to run simulators or intese calculations (I'm an enginering student)
  • A 2070 or better (for a bit of future proofing, I don't want some 1650 or something)
  • Decent battery life so it can last a few classes
  • I don't need crazy storage because I already have an SSD I'll just throw in
  • I don't really care about the display, though 75hz or above wouldn't be bad

I've been looking just about everywhere, and I cant find anything under $ 1,000 which i know seems optimistic, but I feel like these requirements aren't too crazy, I'm not even asking for DDR5 or a 4000 series gpu. I'm paranoid about over paying for a name brand rather than a quality product. Maybe I'm way left field here, and I know I'm not the first or the last person to complain about this, but man, buying a laptop is such a pain.

Try any of these out 

I think this one is the best out of these - MSI Katana GF66 12UE-457 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-12700H 2.30 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

But here are some others

MSI Katana 15 B12VFK-265US Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5-12450H 2.00 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

Also no need to be wary about no name brands as they mostly have the same cooling and parts as the better known ones

Hasee Z8 (15.6'', i7-11800H, RTX3060), Gaming Laptop, i7-11800H 4.6GHz, 16G DDR4 RAM, 512G NVMe PCIe4.0 SSD, RTX3060 6G GDDR6, 15.6'' 144Hz 1920x1080 FHD IPS Display, RGB KB, WF, BT, Win11, Ore Black - Newegg.com

Acer AN515-58-56CH Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5-12500H 2.50 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

Nah it's SATA but it's 1TB so I don't mind if it's like a 512Gb Sata or something, though with the way M.2 prices are right now I should definitely jump on it.

Also, wow I've been sleeping on New Egg, I stopped using it a while ago due to the bad press, these prices are just what I was looking for, you're a life saver man! Though about the "no name brands" is the support quality for them any good or is that something I should just research myself?

1 minute ago, Rocgio40 said:

Though about the "no name brands" is the support quality for them any good or is that something I should just research myself?

this i don't know and I'd probably say no. But btw that HASEE laptop isn't even that good of a deal and I would either go for the top msi one or the Acer one

2 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

Nah it's SATA but it's 1TB so I don't mind if it's like a 512Gb Sata or something, though with the way M.2 prices are right now I should definitely jump on it.

i don't think any of these have sata (since in newer laptops its pretty uncommon) so I'll look for one with a 1tb m.2 so you can get all your stuff on there

Should I do that? Because I think it might be able to fit in budget

2 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

Also, wow I've been sleeping on New Egg

ye I used to use amazon most of the time but realised that there were much better deals on newegg after seeing a few vids from youtubers

Current parts list

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

this i don't know and I'd probably say no. But btw that HASEE laptop isn't even that good of a deal and I would either go for the top msi one or the Acer one

i don't think any of these have sata (since in newer laptops its pretty uncommon) so I'll look for one with a 1tb m.2 so you can get all your stuff on there

ye I used to use amazon most of the time but realised that there were much better deals on newegg after seeing a few vids from youtubers

I guess I have been out of the game for a pretty long time, my current laptop is from like 2014 or something. I has an GeForce 860M, 16gb DDR3, and it came with a hard drive. The battery lasts an hour if I'm lucky, and the keyboard and hinge are absolutely mangled lmfao.

16 minutes ago, filpo said:

Also, I think I'll just get an M.2 laptop, like I said I wanted to future proof so it would be pretty silly if I kept that sata drive, I could probably put it into an external hard drive if I really wanna keep all that stuff.

Just now, Rocgio40 said:

Also, I think I'll just get an M.2 laptop, like I said I wanted to future proof so it would be pretty silly if I kept that sata drive, I could probably put it into an external hard drive if I really wanna keep all that stuff.

Do you have a pc to use at home? You could put it in there. Then again you could continue using the old laptop as storage and the new one to do the simulations and calculations

But these two have 512gig ssds (not too much but should be enough)

GIGABYTE G5 KF-E3US333SH Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5-12500H 2.50 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

MSI Bravo 15 C7VF-009US Gaming Laptop AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS 3.20 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

These both also have better specs than any of the other laptops (the msi bravo is slightly better than all of them)

Then here are some in budget with 1tb ssds MSI Katana 15 B12VFK-265US Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5-12450H 2.00 GHz 15.6" Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Newegg.com

MSI Pulse GL66 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" 144Hz FHD Display, Intel Core i7-12650H Upto 4.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Windows 11 Home (Pulse GL66 12UCK-468) - Newegg.com

But if you can extend your budget a tad you can get a good laptop with a 1tb ssd ASUS ROG Strix G16 (2023) Gaming Laptop, 16” 16:10 FHD 165Hz, GeForce RTX 4050, Intel Core i5-13450HX, 16GB DDR5, 1TB PCIe SSD, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11, G614JU-NS54 - Newegg.com

This one has 32g of ram ASUS TUF Gaming A15 (2022) Gaming Laptop, 15.6" 144Hz FHD IPS-Type Display, AMD Ryzen 7 6800H, GeForce RTX 3050 Ti, 32GB DDR5, 1TB PCIe SSD, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home (FA507RE-A15.R73050T) - Newegg.com

Current parts list

4 minutes ago, filpo said:

Dude, you should change your title, you are that guy hahaha. I've been looking around for weeks, but to be fair I'm in EU right now, so I guess I've been getting nailed by those lovely VAT taxes, I really appreciate it, one less thing to worry about before going back to college. I'll have to let you know which one I choose once I pull the trigger.

9 hours ago, Rocgio40 said:

I'll have to let you know which one I choose once I pull the trigger.

come back here whenever you have a choice

9 hours ago, Rocgio40 said:

but to be fair I'm in EU right now, so I guess I've been getting nailed by those lovely VAT taxes, I really appreciate it, one less thing to worry about before going back to college.

are you still gonna buy in the us tho? Prices on laptops are a bit better in the us

Current parts list

8 hours ago, filpo said:

come back here whenever you have a choice

are you still gonna buy in the us tho? Prices on laptops are a bit better in the us

Yeah I'm gonna buy in the US, I have an APO, so I don't have to worry about international shipping or an VAT thank goodness.

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.daa2bbe53830e3ca2c6188d05edf242f.png

Needs separate power profiles for gaming and school or battery won't last long enough for a full day of school. It shreds anything at 1080p and has the ability to run shit at 4K. HDMI out. I love it to death.