Sublime Text vs OneNote

Anyone have thoughts on Sublime Text vs One Note? 

Ive been using Sublime to take notes at work for quite some time now. I really like that everything is a text document and the general structure and the use of row numbers.

I am considering moving to OneNote, because I feel that its structure is better (ie Notebook can have Multiple Section that can have multiple pages), but I dont like the actual typing part. I think that is because it lets you click anywhere you want to start typing, where sublime just starts on the next row. 

Is there a way to force the OneNote cursor to stick to a line / grid regardless of where you click, more like notepad or sublime? I see you can set line rules but they dont actually change how the cursor interacts. I want everything to have some form of structure for the most part. 

Thoughts? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Sublime text for taking notes?, using onenote is not bad but sometimes I find it a bit clunky maybe try using this software called keepnote.

I'm surprised you're comparing them, as they're not really designed for the same purposes (other than being for text, that is).

OneNote is probably what I'd use for actual note taking, but wouldn't really consider Sublime Text for note taking. It's much more focused around code with wide syntax support, but in terms of note taking, it's pretty basic. That said, if you're looking for coding and various syntax supports, my choice would be Visual Studio Code.

If you use the 365 Suite, OneNote would seem like a no-brainer to me.

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

Sublime text for taking notes?, using onenote is not bad but sometimes I find it a bit clunky maybe try using this software called keepnote.

I dont take alot of notes... At least not in paragraph form. Usually jotting down IPs, temporary passwords, bits of information, etc.

I can look into keepnote.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'm surprised you're comparing them, as they're not really designed for the same purposes (other than being for text, that is).

OneNote is probably what I'd use for actual note taking, but wouldn't really consider Sublime Text for note taking. It's much more focused around code with wide syntax support, but in terms of note taking, it's pretty basic. That said, if you're looking for coding and various syntax supports, my choice would be Visual Studio Code.

If you use the 365 Suite, OneNote would seem like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah just text and usually jotting down quick information or sending co-workers information they would need. Example below.

Stuff thats not worth putting in a ticket but I need to remember, or I cant be bothered to make an excel sheet to try and organize some. I dont do any code other than the occasional powershell script, which sublime takes care of perfectly. 

Here is an example of how i use sublime:

4/13
Customer1
	SvrDC1 - Scheduled to install sublime

Customer 2 - Svr1, Svr2, Svr3, Svr4
	Svr1 > Svr4, C:\ -reboot scheduled 1AM
	Svr2 > Svr4, C:\, D:\ -Reboot Scheduled 1AM
	Svr4 > B:\Backups, C:\, D:\ -reboot scheduled 2am
	Svr3 > Svr4, C:\, D:\ -reboot scheduled 1:30am

4/14
Customer 3
	Svr1 > Svr3, C:\ Wont install sublime
	Svr2 > Svr3, C:\, D:\ -Reboot Scheduled 1AM
	Svr3 > F:\Backups, C:\, D:\ -reboot scheduled 2am

7 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yeah just text and usually jotting down quick information or sending co-workers information they would need. I wish I could provide examples but I cant really. 

Stuff thats not worth putting in a ticket but I need to remember, or I cant be bothered to make an excel sheet to try and organize some. I dont do any code other than the occasional powershell script, which sublime takes care of perfectly. 

To be honest for that I just use notepad. I like Sublime Text, but IMO it's got too many features for that kind of thing, whereas notepad is wonderfully simple and has no features, which makes it perfect for that if you ask me.

Noting down IPs, removing weird formatting etc. are all things I do in notepad more than anything else.

The types of notes you take for pen testing or networking or cron jobs(I am assuming )I use keep note for that it highly organizes your notes and is really fast and responsive 

17 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

To be honest for that I just use notepad. I like Sublime Text, but IMO it's got too many features for that kind of thing, whereas notepad is wonderfully simple and has no features, which makes it perfect for that if you ask me.

Noting down IPs, removing weird formatting etc. are all things I do in notepad more than anything else.

Glad im not alone 🙂. I like sublime because it lets you keep multiple open within one window, or you can easily compare the two

13 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

The types of notes you take for pen testing or networking or cron jobs(I am assuming )I use keep note for that it highly organizes your notes and is really fast and responsive 

I work for a MSP, the example I provided would be installation of software across multiple customers. A way to track which computers I have it installed on, current status of install, and any issues.

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I work for a MSP, the example I provided would be installation of software across multiple customers. A way to track which computers I have it installed on, current status of install, and any issues.

Ah ic, if you don’t mind me asking are most of your notes logs or something else if they are logs then mabye consider using command line tools if you are using Linux which will greatly improve your workflow. For an example instead of copy pasting things you can use redirection to redirect whatever your output is if of course you are familiar with Linux 

Glad im not alone 🙂. I like sublime because it lets you keep multiple open within one window, or you can easily compare the two

Many note taking apps allow you to have multiple windows(why not use vscode it’s free and many plugins)and if your using Linux you can also use the diff command to compare files with ease 

5 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Ah ic, if you don’t mind me asking are most of your notes logs or something else if they are logs then mabye consider using command line tools if you are using Linux which will greatly improve your workflow. For an example instead of copy pasting things you can use redirection to redirect whatever your output is if of course you are familiar with Linux 

Almost everything is for quick notes when people are listing off information over the phone, things for me to reference (Ie when making firewall rules). I typically dont note logs, the only time I have is for a program called SPX and I need diagnostic logs. I usually just view those on the server in notepad or send the file straight to support. 

The example I provided is a "time log" of configuring backup software, so I can keep track of where im at day-by-day. 

Im not very familiar with linux, the only time we use it is for our Unifi controller, or something related to a PBX. Everything we do is Windows, 99% AD based

Almost everything is for quick notes when people are listing off information over the phone, things for me to reference (Ie when making firewall rules). I typically dont note logs, the only time I have is for a program called SPX and I need diagnostic logs. I usually just view those on the server in notepad or send the file straight to support. 

The example I provided is a "time log" of configuring backup software, so I can keep track of where im at day-by-day. 

Im not very familiar with linux, the only time we use it is for our Unifi controller, or something related to a PBX. Everything we do is Windows, 99% AD based

oh ic I think in windows using redirection is possible but I am assuming your more expericened in using gui instead of command line