Microsoft Sells OEM Copies As Retail

SullenSecret

Back in 2021, I bought Windows 10 Pro for $200 US (from their own store). Now, I needed to buy a new motherboard to fix my computer. I cleaned the drive using Linux and installed Win 10 Pro onto it. It refused to activate on the new mobo. I got on the phone with Microsoft who told me that my copy was not valid for a different motherboard. What made me furious on the phone was that my Microsoft account said that my new motherboard was the one associated with my Windows since I had to boot up into my old OS on the board to make a USB installer for it. (It's normal to reinstall Windows after switching motherboards.) My thought was that since MS recognized my new board on the old install that it would smoothly activate and everything would be fine. Nope. They actually told me repeatedly that I had to pay another $200 for a new copy (of nasty Win 11, btw). I am now automatically a Linux fanboy after just one conversation on the phone. What's even more condemning of Microsoft is that the lady on the phone activated Windows using a key that's only valid for 6 months and then actually told me that she activated Windows using my OLD key. It's a digital license! There has never even been a key for it! I can show you the exact site she used to get the key since I watched her do it. https://github.com/SuryaKarmakar/Windows10-ActivationKey

Don't trust Microsoft. At least research Linux for a bit. What's especially bad is that I make music with my computer. The whole music industry shuns Linux for its old audio systems. What makes me angry is that there is now a new audio system called PipeWire that is great, but we still don't have Linux support from companies. I legitimately don't know what I'll do. Trying to install my huge library of virtual instruments onto Linux through virtual machine tech would be a huge pain. Regardless, Microsoft is evil.

My dude, I have never had Windows refuse to function because of a different motherboard (W10 only). Not sure who you bought a license from, but I would suggest not buying from that seller again. 

Just now, BiotechBen said:

My dude, I have never had Windows refuse to function because of a different motherboard (W10 only). Not sure who you bought a license from, but I would suggest not buying from that seller again. 

OEM license is tied to hardware and cannot be moved to another computer.  Retail version / key can be used on multiple systems / hardware configs.

9 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I bought it from Microsoft's store. Seriously. My mistake was cleaning off the drive before the installation. Windows saw that as a new computer. Jerks.

18 minutes ago, SullenSecret said:

I bought it from Microsoft's store. Seriously. My mistake was cleaning off the drive before the installation. Windows saw that as a new computer. Jerks.

They're not jerks. You should've done as much research into this as you did into Linux... You need to link the license to your Microsoft account. Then it's easy sailing. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665#ID0EBD=Windows_10

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

They're not jerks. You should've done as much research into this as you did into Linux... You need to link the license to your Microsoft account. Then it's easy sailing. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665#ID0EBD=Windows_10

WTF? It's been linked to my account for years. I just log in after installation and it either activates or doesn't. 

Edited by WkdPaul
cleanup

11 hours ago, SullenSecret said:

WTF? It's been linked to my account for years. I just log in after installation and it either activates or doesn't.

You didn't mention that. Don't you start picking fights here mate. 

Edited by WkdPaul
cleanup

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

All my copies (bought straight from Microsoft as well) have been moved from build to build. I just log into my account, unlink that machine from my account, install it to the new build, and it activates. Perhaps you still have the old machine active on your account?

5 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

All my copies (bought straight from Microsoft as well) have been moved from build to build. I just log into my account, unlink that machine from my account, install it to the new build, and it activates. Perhaps you still have the old machine active on your account?

Is it possible to remove the old install and then just activate? I didn't know what the button did. It seemed like it would destroy my $200 copy.

BTW, why didn't the customer service lady say ANYTHING about that??? WTF?

10 minutes ago, SullenSecret said:

Is it possible to remove the old install and then just activate? I didn't know what the button did. It seemed like it would destroy my $200 copy.

BTW, why didn't the customer service lady say ANYTHING about that??? WTF?

Well they probably aren't going to go out of their way to tell you how to work around their system. However I'm not sure what transpired.

I build a new PC almost every year, have been activating the same Windows 10 license each time.  I remove the old machine, type in license key, and it activates no problem (of course I'm doing Win 11 now). Just my experience.

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

Well they probably aren't going to go out of their way to tell you how to work around their system. However I'm not sure what transpired.

I build a new PC almost every year, have been activating the same Windows 10 license each time.  I remove the old machine, type in license key, and it activates no problem (of course I'm doing Win 11 now). Just my experience.

I just need to clarify how this works. Are you going to the MS website to your account and removing the old computer? I just need to know if that's it so I don't accidentally destroy my copy.

Yeah I go to the website and devices and hit remove device. They changed things and now limit how many changes you can make apparently look at it.  Looks like purchases through the Microsoft store are messed with too, but (personal opinion) I can't stress enough not to ever, ever buy anything from the Microsoft store. Windows keys yes, games etc, no.

On a side note, because Windows sucks and that limitation thing, I stopped removing things, so my gaming Desktop key is under my account 4 times for the same exact install.  I called support about it once and they didn't know what to do about it either. Apparently it adds another one every time I have to do a fresh install. It activates because it's the same machine.

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Yeah I go to the website and devices and hit remove device. They changed things and now limit how many changes you can make apparently look at it.  Looks like purchases through the Microsoft store are messed with too, but (personal opinion) I can't stress enough not to ever, ever buy anything from the Microsoft store. Windows keys yes, games etc, no.

On a side note, because Windows sucks and that limitation thing, I stopped removing things, so my gaming Desktop key is under my account 4 times for the same exact install.  I called support about it once and they didn't know what to do about it either. Apparently it adds another one every time I have to do a fresh install. It activates because it's the same machine.

Thank you very much. From talking to that support lady, I got the impression that she didn't know how to help me. It was legit weird.

If you order directly from the Microsoft store you get an email documenting the purchase along with the product key.  I always save these emails in case there is ever a question.  My practice on moving the license to a new build is the same as others have mentioned.  Go to the MSFT account and remove the 'old' PC from the licensee and then use the product key to activate the new one.  I have never had a single issue.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

7 hours ago, Alan G said:

If you order directly from the Microsoft store you get an email documenting the purchase along with the product key.  I always save these emails in case there is ever a question.  My practice on moving the license to a new build is the same as others have mentioned.  Go to the MSFT account and remove the 'old' PC from the licensee and then use the product key to activate the new one.  I have never had a single issue.

This was a digital license, meaning that there was never a key. I showed my email of purchase to the lady. I also showed her HWinfo to prove that my motherboard is named the same as what was linked to my Microsoft account. None of this changed her behavior. She said that her boss was enforcing the OEM style policy. I was furious because I know better. Microsoft is different now.

20 hours ago, SullenSecret said:

Back in 2021, I bought Windows 10 Pro for $200 US (from their own store). Now, I needed to buy a new motherboard to fix my computer. I cleaned the drive using Linux and installed Win 10 Pro onto it. It refused to activate on the new mobo. I got on the phone with Microsoft who told me that my copy was not valid for a different motherboard. What made me furious on the phone was that my Microsoft account said that my new motherboard was the one associated with my Windows since I had to boot up into my old OS on the board to make a USB installer for it.

There is the issue. You used your old system (motherboard). Windows allows to be transferred, even OEM license, but that is with the assumption that your old motherboard is broken. Of course, that there is no way of knowing, but typically saying such will give them the ability to give you an override code. That said, their system shows that you tried another motherboard and the old one. So, from their eye, you are trying to have a free license of Windows.

(It's normal to reinstall Windows after switching motherboards.) My thought was that since MS recognized my new board on the old install that it would smoothly activate and everything would be fine. Nope. They actually told me repeatedly that I had to pay another $200 for a new copy (of nasty Win 11, btw). I am now automatically a Linux fanboy after just one conversation on the phone. What's even more condemning of Microsoft is that the lady on the phone activated Windows using a key that's only valid for 6 months and then actually told me that she activated Windows using my OLD key. It's a digital license!

That is fine. It's actually the generic key which makes Windows Activation look into your online account for an associated key. It should capture it in the coming days.

There has never even been a key for it! I can show you the exact site she used to get the key since I watched her do it. https://github.com/SuryaKarmakar/Windows10-ActivationKey

Yea, those are generic keys. It is like in the setup you pick "I don't have one" when asked for the product key. If it can't find it in the UEFI, it uses the default key, and would pull the key once you are online, drivers installed and check for Windows Updates.

At this point, I don't know what you can do. You can try the online chat from Windows 11. Say that you are fixing a computer, you had to change the motherboard which you confirmed that it causes issues, and now trying to activate Windows, and hope they don't dig through the comment sections, and activate your Windows.

By the way, I am assuming the account you purchased your Windows license is the same you are using when you enter on the OOBE (first time setup) setup screens.

Had a similar situation to you. A while back, I bought Windows 10 Pro which was an extra license that my friend had bought from Best Buy in the US which he never used. He sold it to me for cheap (around $70 USD). I had it for my newly built AMD Ryzen 1600X system (16GB RAM, GTX 1060), around the summer of 2017.  Then before the pandemic hit (December 2019) I got a new PC which is the one I use now (Ryzen 3600X, Radeon 5700XT, 32GB RAM). I tried using my Key after a fresh install and told me it was invalid. Called Microsoft, and they told me I had to get a new key. I had this key bound to my Microsoft Account.

I ended up buying those cheap OEM keys out of frustration. This is one of the few reasons why Windows isn't my main operating system anymore. Just use it mainly for gaming. I daily drive Linux now (even for most of my games).

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

I just wanted to offer an update to my situation. I am currently using Linux and liking it. I have Debian 12 with KDE Plasma. Setting up Pipewire solved my audio issues, even with Nvidia HDMI audio in surround sound. It just worked. I can do my music making, though I will be changing my approach to how I do it. The point is that I'll be fine without Windows. I even made my own color scheme for the OS to enjoy it how I've always wanted to in Windows, yet couldn't. I'm having fun.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one last update for anyone curious about Linux. I bought a Radeon RX 7600 to get a card that's more compatible with Linux than my Nvidia card. In fact, it turned out to be too new for Linux to properly run the card. I tried to do the old method of swapping GPU drivers from the default open ones to AMD's off of their site. Unfortunately, that has all changed. Now, the open drivers stay in the OS and AMD's is supposed to run on top of it. Even after installing the newest, most updated OS I could, I still had the same problems with the Radeon card. AMD's drivers never showed evidence that they were installed. When I tried talking to the community about it, many of them said silly things to defend Linux. These were not PC people I would socialize with. Really, this whole experience was shocking. My old Nvidia card ran the OSes very well, but couldn't play games worth crap. The new Radeon card was the opposite. The community were disappointing. I'm unfortunately done with Linux. I've reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. After a couple of days, it has not activated, even after following the advice here. I'll just tolerate activation problems. Linux issues just don't seem worth it. Really, I have a huge problem with an operating system that doesn't allow me to have settings for my hardware. I actually really care about those. Windows is sadly the only option for enthusiasts.

If you're interested, here is the link to the discussion about my problems in Linux. It's an interesting read. https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=155565

Oh, BTW: if you're the sort of person who does other activities on Windows besides gaming or the web, your desktop programs may not work in Linux. Microsoft works hard to ensure that new software is not compatible with it through UWP. The newest programs I got working were Windows 7, not that I tried much.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, SullenSecret said:

If you're interested, here is the link to the discussion about my problems in Linux. It's an interesting read. https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=155565

the community was really responsive but you don't understand How Linux Works beside it's AMD responsibility not Linux Community to make you're panel and actually you could use Closed  AMD Drivers which comes with panel but it's not what you think it's AMD Fault for not giving the same care they give for windows users if AMD Decided to port the control Panel to Linux no one would stop them

Radeon RX 7600 to get a card that's more compatible with Linux t

it's Compatible because it depend on open source driver but you need more updated Linux distro and community clarified that to you ... Why that happens in Linux You might ask ? you need to read a lot about how drivers work on Linux and how the Linux developers fight every day to it's support

Linux issues just don't seem worth it. Really, I have a huge problem with an operating system that doesn't allow me to have settings for my hardware. I actually really care about those. Windows is sadly the only option for enthusiasts.

it's unfortunate but i admit Linux need a lot of study because it's different and you need to approach it with more open mindset it not like windows not on the kernel level or the community  level i understand people want every things polished out of the box  Linux isn't there yet if you would approach Linux like you approach apple for example you be disappointed but if you gave some time you would find that Linux is better in many ways i daily drive Linux for more than 15 years now and i never reg-rated
however it took a lot of time learning it