Beginner questions regarding future wired network

Jmtzaguirre

I intend to move to a new flat in the following months. The place needs some renovations, and I was thinking about setting up ethernet wires all over the place whenever I renew the electrical installation. It might not happen soon, but it is one of those things I’d like to plan well enough so that I only need to execute once (old EU brick walls are harder to work with than drywall). The starting point is the following:

• I have absolute zero networking knowledge, besides the fact that wired will be probably faster and certainly more stable than wireless (especially considering the quality of ISP-issued routers).
  • The single floor flat has a living area and three bedrooms (I won’t need the wires to reach the kitchen nor the bathroom). The smallest one will work as a home office, but any of the other two may also switch functions depending on the family growth and needs.
  • I won’t know if the WiFi range of the ISP router will be enough of if I’ll need some kind of mesh solution until I’m living there.
  • I currently have a home NAS that I use for laptop backups and PMS. Casual remote use by family members does not strain the device nor the current Internet speed, although I wouldn’t mind upgrading the hardware and getting a 2,5 or 10 Gb connection for it.
  • The NAS is in the same room as the ISP router, which has 4 ethernet ports in total and 1 free after also connecting the TV and the Xbox (laptops are currently on a wireless connection). Once we move I´ll set up the NAS in the (permanent) home office and, depending on the options, the bulk of the networking equipment would be there too for a higher SO approval factor.

With that in mind:

1. Should I run a single ethernet cable from every room to the home office hosting the router and add simple consumer-grade switches in every room needing more than one wired connection?
  2. Would it be better to set up more ports in each room and have bigger switch/es in the office? In that case, is there any model (new or used) you would recommend?
  3. Would there be any benefits to using a patch panel?
  4. What would be the best way to keep cables controlled and, if possible, hidden inside some kind of furniture or enclosure? Do I need to make holes for computer fans to cool the networking equipment?
  5. Should I think about setting up different networks depending on the use (work, gaming media consumption, etc.) for increased security? Or is the hassle not worth it for a total noob?
  6. Is there any other thing you wish you knew before starting to make holes in the walls or buying equipment?

Thank you in advance!

43 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

won’t know if the WiFi range of the ISP router will be enough of if I’ll need some kind of mesh solution until I’m living there.

Do a mesh anyway or get a ubiquiti ap and expand as neccessary their stuff has a very long support life and they have a big system of integration

44 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

I currently have a home NAS that I use for laptop backups and PMS. Casual remote use by family members does not strain the device nor the current Internet speed, although I wouldn’t mind upgrading the hardware and getting a 2,5 or 10 Gb connection for it.

Lay 10gb cat 6 rated shielded cabling. Not much more than others and gets you very future proofed

45 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

Should I run a single ethernet cable from every room to the home office hosting the router and add simple consumer-grade switches in every room needing more than one wired connection?

Always run 2 cables AND leave a cable snake available to pull more! Golden tip 😛 redundancy saves a lot of headache.

Other than that yeah some duplicate switches will do except for the nas room. 2 cables also allows for 1 high speed and one normal speed if needed.

46 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

Would it be better to set up more ports in each room and have bigger switch/es in the office? In that case, is there any model (new or used) you would recommend?

Always at least 2. As for switchss ubiquiti has good stuff or get a used one from ebay from a major brand

47 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

Would there be any benefits to using a patch panel?

In the main room? Yeah keeps things clean. But not really required at all.

47 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

What would be the best way to keep cables controlled and, if possible, hidden inside some kind of furniture or enclosure? Do I need to make holes for computer fans to cool the networking equipment?

Server rac/network and build a piece of furniture around it. They NEED ACTIVE COOL AIR SUPPLIED!!!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

Should I think about setting up different networks depending on the use (work, gaming media consumption, etc.) for increased security? Or is the hassle not worth it for a total noob?

Nope unneccesry

48 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

Is there any other thing you wish you knew before starting to make holes in the walls or buying equipment?

Put the cables in a protective electrical cable tube. Get shielded cables for outdoor even if not needed (by default more sturdy). Get nice wall faceplates that have a self extending cover for the port. Dont skimp on cable length rather too much than too little. Keep the smaller ends of cable cuttings makes good connectors.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:24 AM, Jmtzaguirre said:
  • Should I run a single ethernet cable from every room to the home office hosting the router and add simple consumer-grade switches in every room needing more than one wired connection?
  • Would it be better to set up more ports in each room and have bigger switch/es in the office? In that case, is there any model (new or used) you would recommend?

Generally most will recommend at least two cables per drop. You should also consider how many devices at each location and considering running more cabling if necessary. While you can use switches at these locations remember that one cable linking you back to your network all the devices connected to the switch will be sharing that one cable. Most of the time is a non issue but you could still issues with that. Id try to go for just one centralized switch if you can. 

Do I need to make holes for computer fans to cool the networking equipment?

Modems, Routers and Switches that are consumer grade tend to be passively cooled. Though if they do get too hot then can have issues. So yeah Id suggest some type of air circulation. 

Should I think about setting up different networks depending on the use (work, gaming media consumption, etc.) for increased security? Or is the hassle not worth it for a total noob?

Unless you are running IP security cameras I think this is unnecessary. 

mind upgrading the hardware and getting a 2,5 or 10 Gb connection

Id recommend Cat6 cabling then. It's rated for 10 Gbps up to 55m and 5 Gbps up to its 100m max length. So as long as your runs are below 55m you should be good to upgrade to 10 gig or just use 2.5 for now and upgrade to faster speeds when you need. Stay away of CCA (copper clad aluminum) Ethernet cables, they are of low quality. 

Now if you have runs more than 55 meters and intend to do 10 Gig on those devices then you need Cat6a cabling. I think for most home users 55m is probably going to be the most a run is going to be. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you! To be honest, I hadn't thought about home security cameras. Although now I'm a bit more curious to know what the cat is up to when we sleep... 😉

2 minutes ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

I'm a bit more curious to know what the cat is up to when we sleep...

Probably plotting against you. You should sleep with one eye open! 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Probably plotting against you. You should sleep with one eye open! 

Mine breaks out of the house and sits on the trunk of the neighbor's car all night.

Is there any other thing you wish you knew before starting to make holes in the walls or buying equipment?

Cables are cheaper than switches. Run more cables than you think you need, because it's a lot easier to run multiple at once while you have the tools out (you are buying bulk cable and crimping your own, right? Saves a ton of money past your tenth cable).

14 hours ago, ClickARoniSpaghettiToni said:

(you are buying bulk cable and crimping your own, right? Saves a ton of money past your tenth cable).

If I fell confident and adventurous I'll do it myself. Otherwise I'll have someone do it for me. But yes, the plan is to buy a big reel and cut and crimp as needed. thanks for your advice!

3 hours ago, Jmtzaguirre said:

If I fell confident and adventurous I'll do it myself. Otherwise I'll have someone do it for me. But yes, the plan is to buy a big reel and cut and crimp as needed. thanks for your advice!

Its genuinly like a 3/10 difficulty (5/10 is ikea intermediate size furniture assembly) as long as you get a decent cable making set from amazon. Thosr are like 25$.

Small tip get extra heads because it wouldnt the first time you break one by accident 😛

49 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Its genuinly like a 3/10 difficulty (5/10 is ikea intermediate size furniture assembly) as long as you get a decent cable making set from amazon. Thosr are like 25$.

Small tip get extra heads because it wouldnt the first time you break one by accident 😛

You can get it down to 1/10 difficulty with passthrough ends 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

40 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can get it down to 1/10 difficulty with passthrough ends 😄

I keep forgetting about those