Is my fan setup too much

appleskunk

Is my fan setup bad?.

I have 10 intakes(one fan in the front not plugged in) and 4 exhaust fans 

Just wanting to see as people keep saying i need to remove some fans

IMG_20230428_203312.jpg

Besides the one fan that isnt plugged in, a solid chunk of those probably aren’t doing anything for case airflow.

I would take out the side and bottom fans entirely. Especially considering this is a fairly normal build in a very unsuitable case for a normal build.

More fans is not always better, sometimes it’s just turbulence,

I would also get a normal case, if you’re using normal components. The chassis you chose is meant for large complex water cooling setups, and a lot of its advantages for that become disadvantages for a single gpu air cooled system.

21 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I would take out the side and bottom fans entirely.

Same here, unless those panels are completely solid and allow for little to no air intake (in which case you should just get a good case)

22 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I would also get a normal case, if you’re using normal components. The chassis you chose is meant for large complex water cooling setups, and a lot of its advantages for that become disadvantages for a single gpu air cooled system.

I disagree, keep the case if you like it and it does not bother you. It does look a little empty to me, but I do not see any obvious downsides to that (other than wasting space). That said, you would need a huge water cooling loop to actually make use of the space (or way more components like hard drives or disc drives) and any regular size case should do just fine, if you choose to get another case.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

6 hours ago, appleskunk said:

Is my fan setup bad?.

IMG_20230428_203312.jpg

Screw the haters, run all the fans

In my opinion, you have a case that is way bigger than you need, so it looks empty, and spent money on fans that probably does not benefit you at all.

But if you already have them and it doesn't bother you, then done is done. I don't see that much point removing them unless you have other use for them.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, appleskunk said:

Is my fan setup bad?.

The side fans may be breaking up the flow from the front, and the same is true of the front bottom fan especially. Ignoring the front (11th) fan that is off, the top front fan's also pulling out the cool air from the front fans. There's potentially a lot of turbulence in there. I'm not a fan of terrarium cases but, if you like it, I suggest that you experiment with the config of the fans to minimize temperatures. Either find software that helps to visualize the flow or use smoke , please no vapors) so you can find turbulence and dead spots. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

A case like that is meant to extract as much greenbacks as possible from an unwitting consumer.

Thanks Corsair!

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

20 minutes ago, freeagent said:

A case like that is meant to extract as much greenbacks as possible from an unwitting consumer.

Thanks Corsair!

Especially when they want crazy money for their RBG fans or all of their products for that matter. There's 25% Corsair tax on all of their products just like Apple.

If that were my case, I might do something crazy like reverse the fans from the usual config and remove a few fans. Something like:

back fan - intake

top fan on top of the cpu and the next one - intake

bottom fans - intake

Front and side fans - exhaust

Top fan toward the front - exhaust

cpu fans - reverse direction so they blow toward the front of the case

possibly remove the two bottom fans toward the front of the case and the lower 2 of the front and side fans each. Then plug the holes there so you’re not drawing air through the holes where the fans used to be.

this would give you more flow through the VRM section of the mobo and completely fresh air to the cpu. 

for a more traditional setup, 4 fans in the front as intake, 1 fan on top of cpu as exhaust, rear exhaust, bottom fan under gpu as intake. Remove the rest.

I would buy a Torrent 😄

13 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

If that were my case, I might do something crazy like reverse the fans from the usual config and remove a few fans. Something like:

back fan - intake

top fan on top of the cpu and the next one - intake

bottom fans - intake

Front and side fans - exhaust

Top fan toward the front - exhaust

cpu fans - reverse direction so they blow toward the front of the case

possibly remove the two bottom fans toward the front of the case and the lower 2 of the front and side fans each. Then plug the holes there so you’re not drawing air through the holes where the fans used to be.

this would give you more flow through the VRM section of the mobo and completely fresh air to the cpu. 

for a more traditional setup, 4 fans in the front as intake, 1 fan on top of cpu as exhaust, rear exhaust, bottom fan under gpu as intake. Remove the rest.

I think that the reverse flow, ignoring the negative pressure=dust argument, is probably the best choice here. It eliminates virtually all of the turbulence problems, and the OP can fine-tune it.  I'd consider trying it in my Corsair 5000x. Put the strongest fans on intake.  

@TeraSeraphRecently tested this exact kind of setup and found that it worked very well.

Edited by RevGAM
added note about TS's test

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

If you just wanted to run less fans, I would seal off the areas that will not be used to intake, or exhaust.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, appleskunk said:

Is my fan setup too much

no its fan-tastic 🙂  lacks abit of argb tho 😛

This looks like the noise it makes would be insane: Honestly you can easily remove most of those fans, without losing more than 1 or 2 degrees.

3 hours ago, cooky560 said:

This looks like the noise it makes would be insane: Honestly you can easily remove most of those fans, without losing more than 1 or 2 degrees.

You're forgetting that the more fans there are should theoretically result in less overall noise unless they are fighting each other too much, resulting in higher temps and, thus, higher dBA. Removing fans is over-simplifying the problem and doesn't tell the OP which fans to remove, and which direct the remaining ones should point in.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

You're forgetting that the more fans there are should theoretically result in less overall noise unless they are fighting each

They are fighting each other though..

That case is stupid 😁

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

They are fighting each other though..

That case is stupid 😁

Ahem...

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

unless they are fighting each other though...

😉 That's my point, bro.