Best Windows Video Player?

I used to use MPC-HC with MadVR, but both have stopped getting developed.

I also had an issue where HDR content looked washed out and video files with .TS has extremely slow seek time.

I tried VLC and it plays HDR content perfectly, but it also has extremely slow .TS seek time.

I tried MPV and it plays .TS files extremely fast, but feature set is barebones.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Sorry, I can't address the TS thing. You mean the .TS files which are fragments of an online video download? Cause I wrote a program that appends .TS files together after downloading and generates an MP4. They are basically 100% MP4 file pieces, that's all.

I thought MPC-HC was discontinued too for a year or so and stopped using it until I discovered there is a guy on github taking over and making new builds. Are you sure you didn't look hard enough?

Here's a link: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/tag/2.0.0

And here's a link to the full list of releases: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases?page=1

I like PotPlayer.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

MPV is the best player, in particular if you're willing to mess with the config files and scripts, pretty much any option you might want on a player is available either by adding it to the config file, or by using user scripts. It does have some issues with HDR still, the new video renderer gpu-next is a big improvement in that front as far as I know but it still kinda buggy. mpv.net is probably the best option for a GUI on windows, mpc-qt is a MPC-HC "clone" using mpv, unfortunately it is a one man project that's updated like once a year. Haruna is nice but Linux only option for a GUI. But you still might need to mess with config files and scripts to get the most out of any of those

And as mentioned above MPC-HC still is supported, madVR isn't, but it still is works fine if you configure it properly. Other options to use with madVR is MPC-BE, and PotPlayer which has some issues with bundled software in the installation and some recent versions show ads, but you can use older or modified versions.

Vlc is still the peak one.

They are aware of .ts files having slow seeking but its considered a low priority issue and hasnt had much work happen.

Otherwise potplayer and kmplayer are both good options but vary in featuresets

2 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

I also had an issue where HDR content looked washed out and video files with .TS has extremely slow seek time.

I tried VLC and it plays HDR content perfectly, but it also has extremely slow .TS seek time.

I tried MPV and it plays .TS files extremely fast, but feature set is barebones.

About MPC - "Development is currently limited to small bug fixes and updates", so it isn't exactly dead. GitHub only says that there won't be any new officially added features. Do you employ every last feature it already has?

MadVR still works great and there won't be any actual benefit in switching off from it to something new. The "new" also may be underdeveloped. Tone down the enhancement features and it should be just fine for years to come. Or do you have the K-Lite pack to play with other codecs for different video formats?

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

10 hours ago, OgreVorbis said:

Sorry, I can't address the TS thing. You mean the .TS files which are fragments of an online video download? Cause I wrote a program that appends .TS files together after downloading and generates an MP4. They are basically 100% MP4 file pieces, that's all.

I thought MPC-HC was discontinued too for a year or so and stopped using it until I discovered there is a guy on github taking over and making new builds. Are you sure you didn't look hard enough?

Here's a link: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/tag/2.0.0

And here's a link to the full list of releases: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases?page=1

VLC had a remux function for .TS file to re-wrap it into .MP4 file, but I discovered that some video files I had remux had either video stuttering or audio problems.

I was already using that MPC-HC fork and also tried MPC-BE, but it still had issues with HDR and .TS files.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.