Help getting an as silent system as possible.

Mr.mittens

Hello!
I am here to ask for your help to find silent components and silent solutions.

Im helping my cousin to upgrade his current system as he has an illness that makes him unable to handle sound well.

So im just reaching out here to try and find the best solution and ask questions when they pop up.

What would be best?

1: Go other fans or Custom watercooling? What is more silent?

2: Is there any super quiet chassis and watercooling kitts out there?

Im pretty sure price is not really an issue but sound is. So maybe not insane prices but still i think 2-3000usd is his limit if graphics card is going to be replaced.

Specs of his current system:

PROCESSOR
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 12 cores / 24 threads / 4.8 GHz
  GFX
GeForce RTX 3080Ti 
  RAM
HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) / 3600MHz / CL18 /
  HDD
WD Black SN850 M.2 - 1TB
  MOBO
ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
  COOLER
Corsair H100i Elite Capellix / iCUE-RGB / 240mm
  PSU
Corsair RM850 / 850W / 80+ Gold
  CHASSIS
Corsair 4000D Airflow / Tempered Glass - Svart

If sound is an issue get a pair of ear muffs.

They even make ones for drummers where it's a -30db ones proffesionally made + a nice pair of headphones in em so you can still hear stuff.

If this thing at idle is already and issues then yeah NOTHING will be a solution except by simply not allowing noise into the ears.

You can do what Linus does at home and just move the entire computer into another room. Then just use an optical thunderbolt cable and a thunderbolt dock to move video, KB, mouse, and other IO to and from the two rooms.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The motherboard chipset fan can be pretty annoying. I have the same chipset cooler and ended up removing the fan / shroud, swapped the thermal pad for a copper shim + thermal paste, and attached some graphite heatsinks using thermal tape. It's cooled by a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX mounted with some tape and seems to run at ~1650rpm / 58c peak which is fairly quiet.

Lowering case fan speeds and accepting slightly higher temps is an easy way to start lowering noise. Undervolting can help lower the need for cooling.

Start there and see if it's quiet enough. The limiting factor may eventually be the chipset fan.

If that's the case, unplugging the chipset fan and cooling it with a quieter fan can help.

A more extreme but complete solution may be quieter fans and also using a copper shim / thermal paste solution as well for the chipset.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

29 minutes ago, Mr.mittens said:

Hello!

Im helping my cousin to upgrade his current system as he has an illness that makes him unable to handle sound well.

So im just reaching out here to try and find the best solution and ask questions when they pop up.

What would be best?

Im pretty sure price is not really an issue but sound is. So maybe not insane prices but still i think 2-3000usd is his limit if graphics card is going to be replaced.

PROCESSOR
  GFX
GeForce RTX 3080Ti 
  RAM
  HDD
WD Black SN850 M.2 - 1TB
  MOBO
  COOLER
  PSU
  CHASSIS

Letting things heat up by having more aggressively low fan curves is a path to a quieter build. The difference in temperature of the heat source and heatsink is proportional to heat transfer, so you can run a lower fan speed (mass flow rate) while getting proportional heat transfer.

GPUs like the RTX 3080ti can run at nearly the same performance at only 90% TDP, so doing what's practically an underclock with a custom fan curve can yield similar performance with minimal sound signature. Same goes for a 5900x in 'eco mode' with PBO.

Really just doing some 'underclocking' and tuning fan curves to be aggressively low can make almost anything silent. My PC, being an overclocked 4090 and 7950x3D, is quieter than my hardware firewall's fans, which is the first thing I hear whenever I don't have headphones on or any background noise like a video/music with the game muted. Its kind of ridiculous how quiet it is for a +700W system.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

40 minutes ago, Mr.mittens said:

Hello!

What would be best?

PROCESSOR
  GFX
GeForce RTX 3080Ti 
  RAM
  HDD
WD Black SN850 M.2 - 1TB
  MOBO
  COOLER
  PSU
  CHASSIS

5900X rather need a 280 or 360 cooler to stay silent

Then there's no way to make an aircooled 3080Ti silent, it's a hot furnace that requires fans to ramp up, or you have to watercool it

I do know the issue : I have a 5900X on 280 cooling, it's pretty silent (my 140 fans only go up to 1400rpm), then I had a 3080 non Ti that only became silent with watercooling on a 360 rad... Upgraded recently to a 7900XTX, these new gen cards (from AMD and NVidia as well) have much better cooling, 10-15C less all over the board, and I can keep the noise level down to my comfort level (GPU fans below 1800rpm)

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

5900X rather need a 280 or 360 cooler to stay silent

If by silent, you mean very quiet, a good air cooler is fine. I cool a 5900x with a NH-U14S in push / pull and fans stay quiet mostly staying at ~600rpm outside of sustained synthetic loads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.