What does OOBE\BYPASSNRO stand for?

Yuniks

I'm using this command for user setup at work and I always joked it stood for National Reconnaissance Office due to windows NEEDING an MS account to log in... but I am curious as to what the "NRO" actually means. Anyone know?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

It runs BypassNRO.cmd file from  C:\Windows\System32\oobe

@echo off
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OOBE /v BypassNRO /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
shutdown /r /t 0

Ah, more philosophical question, what the letter combination means? Network requirements options perhaps.

I edit my posts more often than not

On an unrelated note. That is the greatest command known to mankind for those deploying OOBE win 11 devices.

Note: for those curious, it essentially lets you create a fresh windows 11 installation without needing to sign in with a microsoft account.

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

On an unrelated note. That is the greatest command known to mankind for those deploying OOBE win 11 devices.

Note: for those curious, it essentially lets you create a fresh windows 11 installation without needing to sign in with a microsoft account.

Makes adding machines to the AD SO much more straightforward. The fact it's so hidden away is a crime but I am glad it's at least there.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

• 4 months later...

In the context of Windows 11 installation, NRO stands for Network Readiness Operations. Running the OOBE (Out-of-Box Experience) command "oobe/bypassNRO" allows users to bypass the network checks that Windows typically performs during setup. This can be useful in scenarios where you don't have an internet connection or are having network issues during setup. Keep in mind that this should be done with caution and understanding of the implications, as some features may not function properly without a network connection during setup.