why i cant select 10 bit color

MiszS
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

The monitor doesn't specifically mention 10bit color support on it's product page:

image.png.7614d35dab7de8c79cd7fce1859c3272.png

Check your display settings in windows and click on the advanced settings at the bottom.

If it says "8 bit with dithering" at the red mark, it's setup correctly.

You might need to enable HDR to get it to use dithering.

image.png.0ac1f9792e56edeee486babd90cb2487.png

So i have a 360hz 10bit MSi NXG253R monitor, and for some reason i cant select 10 bit colors when its in 360hz mode, only in 300hz, not that its a big difference, but i cant understand whats wrong with it, since its connected to my gpu using displayport 1.4, which has way more bandwidth than i need, i calculated that it would use 22,394,880,000 bits per seconds, which is way less than displayport's 32Gb, so if anyone knows whats wrong with it pls tell me.
image.png.48f17601f23aaa25e9d5e8fc94f78789.png
image.png.31beb6b84f6792d7a31cff8ee25a2a48.png

either a cable issue or possibly you need to enable HDR within windows settings ?

"NXG253R is a full-featured gaming monitor. G-Sync is supported up to 360 Hz with HDR"   snipped from a spec sheet

Also have you checked all of the settings on the monitor side of things ? The monitor is very capable but does in some settings sacrifice some things for more advantages in another setting.

4 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

DP 1.4 can only supply about 25gb/s for display transmission, with the remainder being overhead and command/control data

DP1.2 only supports about 19gb/s for the display signal. Are you possibly using an older cable? While they should be the same, a cheaper older cable (or damaged) cable may not have enough shielding or have some data integrity issues and force the negotiation back to a lower standard.

i mean thats still under 25Gb/s, so barely enough, and im sure about the cable, i bought a nice cable for the monitor, not knowing it comes with one, and tried both but it didnt change anything

4 hours ago, johnno23 said:

either a cable issue or possibly you need to enable HDR within windows settings ?

"NXG253R is a full-featured gaming monitor. G-Sync is supported up to 360 Hz with HDR"   snipped from a spec sheet

Also have you checked all of the settings on the monitor side of things ? The monitor is very capable but does in some settings sacrifice some things for more advantages in another setting.

i just tried to enable HDR in windows, but it it changed to a weird yellow and dim collor, and the windows looked laggy so i dont know about that, but for the monitor, when i open the settings it just says "hdr off" and there isnt an option to enable it, there is only a "HDR variable bl" option that mentions HDR but i cant turn it on

Similar issue on my 144hz LG nano IPS monitor. however in many videos it works well but the improvement is minimal. So I never use HDR myself.

you might check how the situation changes with G-sync enabled disabled.

I checked the spec a few hours ago but your monitor also has that back light effect but only works at max 240hz.

you could also try to see if there is a change between using the default windows colour settings instead of Nvidea settings.

I also read that the monitor can max out the full srgb colour gamut with ease so possibly at 360 hz you have already hit a maximum but that is guesswork on my part. And it might be GPU related not monitor as possibly you have maxxed out the GPU  with 10bit at 300hz ? to reach 360hz it simply steps down a notch on the color bit depth

On 6/22/2023 at 10:03 PM, johnno23 said:

Similar issue on my 144hz LG nano IPS monitor. however in many videos it works well but the improvement is minimal. So I never use HDR myself.

you might check how the situation changes with G-sync enabled disabled.

I checked the spec a few hours ago but your monitor also has that back light effect but only works at max 240hz.

you could also try to see if there is a change between using the default windows colour settings instead of Nvidea settings.

I also read that the monitor can max out the full srgb colour gamut with ease so possibly at 360 hz you have already hit a maximum but that is guesswork on my part. And it might be GPU related not monitor as possibly you have maxxed out the GPU  with 10bit at 300hz ? to reach 360hz it simply steps down a notch on the color bit depth

idk if it maxes out my gpu, i hate a 1050ti, and what do you mean by the backlight effect at 240hz

Anyways running 360hz for the best possible frame rates for competition in esports is great but the need for 10bit color in a competitive game ?

also I found this reference to 1050ti and 10bit colour

"NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs. Due to the way most applications use traditional Windows API functions to create the application UI and viewport display, this method is not used for professional applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop. These programs use OpenGL 10-bit per color buffers which require an NVIDIA Quadro GPU with DisplayPort connector. A small number of monitors support 10-bit per color with Quadro graphics cards over DVI."

From various internet sources. the source is this link https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/gtx-1050-ti-adobe-cc-10-bit-support.2534775/

why you cannot get 10 bit activated at 360hz I do not know but it might simply be a limitation of the monitors characteristics ? 

it it were a simple one or two click solution i am convinced someone else would have replied already.

The monitor doesn't specifically mention 10bit color support on it's product page:

image.png.7614d35dab7de8c79cd7fce1859c3272.png

Check your display settings in windows and click on the advanced settings at the bottom.

If it says "8 bit with dithering" at the red mark, it's setup correctly.

You might need to enable HDR to get it to use dithering.

image.png.0ac1f9792e56edeee486babd90cb2487.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 8 months later...

Displayport 1.4 supports up to 337 Hz with 10 bit at 1080p. Since the maximum default Hz value under 360 is 300, you can only select 300.

image.thumb.png.d5df217f32253fb0994ac814d7e38ea8.png

1 minute ago, Honigfluss said:

Displayport 1.4 supports up to 337 Hz with 10 bit at 1080p. Since the maximum default Hz value under 360 is 300, you can only select 300.

image.thumb.png.d5df217f32253fb0994ac814d7e38ea8.png

Thx for the info cuz i had no idea, but how did you even find this thread lol

Just now, MiszS said:

Thx for the info, but how did you even find this thread lol

I am experiencing issue with 10 bit. My friends say that I got scammed by amazon and they sent me a dp 1.2 instead, but i think chances of this is not much. So I looked up to the previous threads with the hope to find a fix. I've been trying to fix it since 4 days.