Can I reinstall my kraken without redoing the thermal paste

Liamwasbezet
Go to solution Solved by Sjaakie,

Ah that's too bad. I've seen it possible for the 360 Elite version at least. Would be a weird move by NZXT to not allow it for the non-elite.

Anyway probably best then to just order some thermal paste and remount when it is in.

I just build the pc today and rilaised afterbuilding that the api is wrongly oriented. can i fix this by just quickly rotading it or is then the pre applied termalpaste ruined ?

Some of the Kraken coolers you can change the logo orientation in CAM, make sure yours isn't one of those first. But if you do need to take off the cooler, you'll need to reapply paste.

Should be okay if it's still fresh from today. But better have some extra paste on hand to be sure.

Just now, SirGeorgington said:

Some of the Kraken coolers you can change the logo orientation in CAM, make sure yours isn't one of those first. But if you do need to take off the cooler, you'll need to reapply paste.

I checked, but I think I cant do that i have the kraken 360 rgb. 

4 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Should be okay if it's still fresh from today. But better have some extra paste on hand to be sure.

I dont have some extra, thats the problem otherwise i would of deffently applied some more.

2 minutes ago, Liamwasbezet said:

I does! Somewhere In the lightning section where you select what you want to show on the screen.

2 minutes ago, Liamwasbezet said:

You could if you would not be changing orientation, but since you want to flip it up, the whole processor might not be covered right again. You should look in the box of the cooler, sometimes they send an extra little bit with the coolers even if they have pre applied.

I does! Somewhere In the lightning section where you select what you want to show on the screen.

Yes but i changed mine by 30 degrees. and in software i can only change it by 90 degrees

Are you running latest version of cam? It should allow 30 degree steps like in this video:

Thats the kraken z3 i have the kraken, this is how that looks for me. 

.  image.png.0b206d9d779dff0939313553cc26029c.png

Ah that's too bad. I've seen it possible for the 360 Elite version at least. Would be a weird move by NZXT to not allow it for the non-elite.

Anyway probably best then to just order some thermal paste and remount when it is in.

you can for reuse the thermal paste by simply taking it off and reinstalling it in a different orientation. there is zero risk with a cpu since they have an IHS.

you should run a stress test for at least 30 minutes, noting down the ambient temp, cpu clock speed/performance, and cpu average temp.
then you should do the removal and replacement, and then do the test again. If you notice a difference in temperatures or clock speeds, you will have to order thermal paste and reapply it.

I would replace the thermal paste to ensure you have no air gaps present. But in a pinch, you should be okay. Your temperatures might be higher, but should be okay still.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thermal paste is cheap, PC parts are expensive.  Even my time is worth more than the thermal paste. 

While it's likely to be "OK", it would be better and run cooler with a fresh and "correct" application of thermal paste. I would just order some, then you'll have it on hand if this comes up again. It won't hurt to wait a couple days to do it right. 

Hold on, before you do this, make sure your hoses will fit and not get stress on them from the new orientation. I have a Thermaltake TH120 and it would only fit ONE way, anything else made the hoses go at weird angles or put stress on the water block.