What is the Future of Internet Discussion?

Jimmy Hoke
2 hours ago, Polderviking said:

I'm hoping for copious amounts of fragmentation. Shatter the monopoly's.
Not referring to things like the "fediverse" or anything Mastodon-y either.
I mean litterally just going back to good old forums like this one.

Yeah, but then Spez can't flex his ego while smashing groups with views he doesn't like.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On the note of moderation, those against moderating often cite free speech as the reason, while those in favor think some things should not be said. I personally think moderation is fine as long as the rules really are helping to foster the community and the mods themsleves are not abusing it to further an agenda or just downright being biased. 

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

On the note of moderation, those against moderating often cite free speech as the reason, while those in favor think some things should not be said. I personally think moderation is fine as long as the rules really are helping to foster the community and the mods themsleves are not abusing it to further an agenda or just downright being biased. 

I ran an anime forum back in the late 90s, through 2007. I can attest that moderation is absolutely necessary, especially when it's appropriate for younger people to participate. I had a great team, which helped.

Being unmoderated, that environment would have become exceedingly toxic, extremely fast.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

I ran an anime forum back in the late 90s, through 2007. I can attest that moderation is absolutely necessary, especially when it's appropriate for younger people to participate. I had a great team, which helped.

Being unmoderated, that environment would have become exceedingly toxic, extremely fast.

Yes mostly I agree with that, however the key is the moderation team, which you yourself seem to realize. If the mods are not actually doing their job then it's all for naught. 

I have been on some other forums where the mods were not only not doing their job, but making up excuses for it. When called out on it they would still stick with their reasons ala authoritarian style. 

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Yes mostly I agree with that, however the key is the moderation team, which you yourself seem to realize. If the mods are not actually doing their job then it's all for naught. 

I have been on some other forums where the mods were not only not doing their job, but making up excuses for it. When called out on it they would still stick with their reasons ala authoritarian style. 

Yeah. I realized when I was unable to continue to administrate the forum, nobody would be capable of taking over for me, so I actually closed the entire forum down. I didn't want to leave it to someone else, since my name was so heavily attached to the community.

I've played MMOs where the company didn't want to police the chat, and it became so very, very toxic. A game that was heavily pay to win couldn't spend a few bucks a day to hire moderators for chat, and they lost a LOT of whales to that.