Watching A Video On Two Devices At Once

nomisuke77

Linus Media Group is a content creation business. Though they generate revenue through other sources (Linus likes to famously say the LTT Screwdriver paid for his house) the company itself would not exist without YouTube. Even though they have grown large enough to no longer rely upon Google for income, YouTube is where everything started. In that respect, platform advertising is a necessary evil because it helps to fund the content we all love so much.

I understand a premium YouTube account would minimize the intrusive advertisements we see while watching content. However, for those of us who honestly can't afford another monthly bill, there is another way to give credit to the creators while viewing videos without having to watch the ads.

Adblockers admittedly screw content creators out of their revenue. YouTube can see that a user is skipping the ads, so the channel itself receives less recognition from Google. While I'm not quite ready to give up my adblocker, I have found another way to be fair to creators.

While watching content on my device, I will log into my account on another device and cue up the same video. The only difference is I will disable the adblocking extensions and allow the video to play from beginning to end. While I'm not actively watching the video on my other device, the channel itself is still receiving credit for a view.

Do you believe this is a fair and sensible method to skip ads while still giving credit to the creators? Have you already been doing this? Do you think this is still cheating and paying for a premium account is a much better way to go about it?

Considering that they have released videos that tell you how to block adds using things like a pihole, I think you are in the clear to do what you want. Personally I wont give google my money because it doesn't exclude you from there data collection practices. Instead I use other platforms whenever I can such as nebula and floatplane which happen to support creators that I enjoy. In my opinion you are going above and beyond considering budgetary constraints. 

I think you are a very considerate follower, and that is a fantastic idea for those willing and able to do it.

Fyi youtube pays depending on type of content too. So tech pays very well and with very well I mean like 12$ a thousand views for having at minimum 4 30 second unskipable adds on a video. IF your video does numbers. If it's only like 50k views then you get maybe 12$ total for it.

It's a messy system and creators with multiple million view videos a week running 4 adds in a well paying topic like tech will make a couple thousands a week.

So basically for ltt this is enough to pay maybe 2 handfulls of staff and thats it.

You could just buy something from store whenever you have money for it. Rather than filter it through google.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Or you can just use Adnauseam and have it click ads for you while simultaneously blocking them.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I think Linus has said something along the lines of an LTT Store purchase being a far greater monetary compensation than watching every LTT video.

While your heart is in the right place, you are only 1 of many millions of views. Just AdBlock.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

LMG is a company, not a charity.

It is not your responsibility as a consumer to make sure the company makes money, especially not one that seems so well off as LMG. Whenever I see threads like this I get the eery feeling that the person behind it has a parasocial relationship with the Youtuber or whatever is being talked about. If that's what's going on then I recommend you try and distance yourself from the influencer you feel this way about, because it is not healthy.

Imagine how bizarre it would be if I made a thread brainstorming ideas about how I can go out of my way to increase Nvidia's revenue even though I can't afford their products. 

Remember, LTT is not your friend. You don't owe them anything. You don't need to, and shouldn't, do them any favors that inconvenience you. If someone can turn down 100 million dollars (or however much it was) then you really don't have to watch their videos twice to support them. They don't need any more support than they already got.