Does anyone know if Ryzen 7000 platforms should start posting without a CPU?

Friend of mine and I have just built a new PC, but the CPU hasn't arrived yet.

We tried to power up the system without the CPU just to see if the LEDs would light up, but nothing happens.

Is this expected behavior?

Both my Ryzen 5800 system and his 7700k system have at least one LED that lights up. On this new 7000 series B650 board not even a single LED does anything.

ASUS B650M-A II is the motherboard that we were using.

You need a CPU for the system to POST. At most you might get a CPU error LED on the board if the motherboard has debug LEDs, but maybe not even that if no CPU is present at all. There's no point trying to boot a system without a CPU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

There's no point trying to boot a system without a CPU.

Yeah of course. I was just saying to him "technically we could post it now, but it would probably show us an error LED or something..." and then we were kinda surprised when nothing happened at all. I expected the fans to at least spin up for a short time or something 😄 

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Yeah of course. I was just saying to him "technically we could post it now, but it would probably show us an error LED or something..." and then we were kinda surprised when nothing happened at all. I expected the fans to at least spin up for a short time or something 😄 

I've never seen a system even try to boot without a CPU installed.

Nearly every motherboard will do nothing unless a CPU is detected, at which point it will POST and either boot normally or locate a failure.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've never seen a system even try to boot without a CPU installed.

Nearly every motherboard will do nothing unless a CPU is detected, at which point it will POST and either boot normally or locate a failure.

Almost all ASUS boards come with a Q-LED function for showing an error code if no CPU is installed. This one does too.