4k Gaming on Consoles

I moved to the new Generation of consoles a while ago with the xbox series x mainly for 4k gaming, but wasn't really impressed with the quality of image or visuals.

I am thinking of going for a new pc build to support 4k, will the 4k gaming experience on PC look better or did I just have too many expectations?

You had too much expectation, 4k Gaming is pretty dumb for most people and requires Quite an expensive build to actually get it to run at decent  frames with decent settings. You can get away with slightly lower settings but 4k is still not there yet for most gamers, especially for consoles. Some games maybe, but not most.

You generally need the best GPU available to run it well and thats just not happening ona  console

2 minutes ago, Mo997 said:

will the 4k gaming experience on PC look better or did I just have too many expectations?

If you buy better hardware, yes. If you buy the same hardware as consoles have (basically an 8c 3000 series Ryzen and a midrange GPU) it'll look about the same. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

26 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

If you buy better hardware, yes. If you buy the same hardware as consoles have (basically an 8c 3000 series Ryzen and a midrange GPU) it'll look about the same. 

Planning for a 4080 probably, so hopefully that will mean a better experience

-= Topics Merged =-

-= Topic placed in Console Gaming =-

One Subject, One topic... please do not repost topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It also has a lot to do with the game and your display settings. Some games will just not put out that quality.  Also if you set a game to performance mode no matter your xbox setting it will adjust the graphics for fps and drop the resolution.  I have seen that some games are beautiful on my 4k 75" 120Hz. Though to get 4k you may be looking at closer to 30fps and can at times get sluggish which may not be what you are looking for either.  But if I am playing something competitive I dial back those settings and go for the fps.