Tweakers.net and Linus Tech Tips should marry and be happy together

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Are they in financial trouble? If not and if they are still very active, I don't see much point. Its much better for everyone to have as much coverage as possible. Sure, they will overlap on bigger releases, but that provides you as consumer much more opinions and data to look at.

If LMG should think buying some European tech site, I would vote for OC3D. Tom has recently started to advertise for sketchy keysites. Corsair money clearly not enough anymore. So maybe LMG/LABs could get his extensive testing experience and EU  UK view.

Good Day Linus, Luke and excellent people who excellently read this excellent sentence!

So I was watching the Wan Show the other day and heard Linus saying something about it taking a long time to catch up with tech for their new Labs website.
It would be hard to get information on old tech and to include this in their new system would take quite a while.

But I believe there is a place where allot of this information exists, where there has been consistent integrity and perhaps a style of working that LTT would align with.

Now I have never gone to the forums here before today because of tweakers.net.
Though Tweakers is owned by a media company I bet that for Luke and other people working on the LABS project taking over such a company could open doors they would have to spent years to open otherwise. There is allot of knowledge here and I think there are a few ways this could completely change LTT for the future.
Tweakers is my main site to look into when needing any details on products, when I need parts for projects or even when I find a roadblock on one of them.

If you’d be owner of both LTT and of Tweakers (which is situated in The Netherlands), you’d have a base of operations near the biggest port to Europe and if you work from that the future is endlessly interesting.
Of course I am completely wish casting here and probably stupid for thinking this but the idea of having an ally overseas could create options not seen before.
I suspect being owner of both without combining them could be more interesting for tax issues but I have no idea, I run a tiny company.

So to Linus, Luke and other excellent people I say; Yo buy some European media outlets and embrace in excellent excellence!

With high hopes and in great suspense, Harrie NoPro

Tweakers.net is not an independent company. it is a part of a larger media conglomerate.

even if they wanted to purchase Tweakers.net (which i doubt, as the Lab has surpassed them on many fronts already) they would have to get it from this larger owner. That's not gonna happen.

Now i love Tweakers.net. I'm Dutch, and i use it all the time. I just don't see this being an option or even beneficial both ways.

Imagine all the clickbait horrible thumbnails and over dramatic stuffs Tweakers would get filled with: no thanks. Do not touch Tweakers plz.

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Excellent!

Sincerely,

Bill and Ted

"Wayne's world wayne's world party time excellent, wiew wiew wiew"

Sincerely,
Wayne and Garth

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Tweakers.net is not an independent company. it is a part of a larger media conglomerate.

even if they wanted to purchase Tweakers.net (which i doubt, as the Lab has surpassed them on many fronts already) they would have to get it from this larger owner. That's not gonna happen.

Now i love Tweakers.net. I'm Dutch, and i use it all the time. I just don't see this being an option or even beneficial both ways.

Yes, it is complete wishcasting.

I agree that Lab would have somewhat surpassed them by the way they are setting up but the vallue of the backlog could be invaluable 🙂

And if we never try outrageous things we won't ever become better 😄

5 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Whoa, I had a completely wrong idea about what Tweakers.net was about...

Oh dear!
It is very wholesome 😄

Are they in financial trouble? If not and if they are still very active, I don't see much point. Its much better for everyone to have as much coverage as possible. Sure, they will overlap on bigger releases, but that provides you as consumer much more opinions and data to look at.

If LMG should think buying some European tech site, I would vote for OC3D. Tom has recently started to advertise for sketchy keysites. Corsair money clearly not enough anymore. So maybe LMG/LABs could get his extensive testing experience and EU  UK view.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

But my point was that Linus was talking about not having a backlog on old hardware. I assume it could be a great idea to get overseas in this way.
Buying a UK based company is going to get you into a lot of issues as you can't transform it for international shipping. Once you are within the European union you can bypass a lot of trouble 🙂

But I am down for LTT/Linus taking over some of our sites to safeguard them regardless 😄

14 minutes ago, NoPro said:

But my point was that Linus was talking about not having a backlog on old hardware. I assume it could be a great idea to get overseas in this way.
Buying a UK based company is going to get you into a lot of issues as you can't transform it for international shipping. Once you are within the European union you can bypass a lot of trouble 🙂

But I am down for LTT/Linus taking over some of our sites to safeguard them regardless 😄

So... you don't actually want to expertise, just warehouse for LTTStore and maybe getting the older hardware to Canada for testing? (taking it bit to extreme) All older hardware would need to be tested using Labs' uniform methods to make any data directly comparable. Thats why those sites that have been around longer only switch their testing equipment when they absolutely must. So there, UK company vs EU company makes no difference. The only difference would be if you wanted to sell something to outside parties, like LTTStore merch.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't think DPG Media is interested in selling Tweakers at all, they basically bought up the two best tech sites in NL when they also added Hardware.info to their portfolio, they are a company with a multi billion Euros in revenue and supposedly mainly in private hands I believe.

Personally I also think that the quality of Tweakers has been going down allot (they are still pretty great tho) since they went more mainstream, most of their knowledge is in their old school userbase (which their staff isn't part off anymore) and the value they add in the discussion on the forums and in the article comments. So even if LTT could buy up the site all they would be buying is a news outlet with a lease of a office building in Amsterdam Kadijken that is 100% focused on the Dutch speaking tech audience.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:34 PM, Erioch said:

Whoa, I had a completely wrong idea about what Tweakers.net was about...

Yeah the name in Dutch and English have a completely different meaning, in Dutch it means people who are very much in to tech and customizing it etc. and not so much the drug related meaning it has in English. 😅