Can i upgrade my ssd(SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00000 (FXT2101Q)) to Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW on Acer Aspire Switch 11 V SW5-173-61WR?

csln
Go to solution Solved by csln,

At the end i bought this one,

https://www.twinmos.com/product/twinmos-m-2-2280-ssd-sataiii/

i doubt this will be reliable for long time but i literally couldn't find a seller selling other brand of M2 Sata ssd in my region.

I am still waiting for it to arrive but i hope my laptop supports it.

Anyways here is some pics i took inside the laptopIMG_20221216_192555.thumb.jpg.e58d8a42ea81db793f95c54089170cf2.jpg

IMG_20221216_192548.thumb.jpg.c046b8d8c4f13bcd525f1c89ee296054.jpg

Also this model actually supports an external sata ssd or hdd in the keyboard compartment but apparently pcb under my keyboard has some missing parts. Actually i really like this laptop it was really cool when it first launched but sometimes it feels very tiring to use because of its 0.80 ghz cpu, because of that i am using it with arch linux for some time, i would like to replace it with something with higher specs but it looks like i will not be able to do that for some time, thats why i decided to do a ssd upgrade.

Thank you guys for your support i will post an update when the ssd arrives.

I am looking for information online for hours to find out if my acer does support this new ssd or not but i cant find it. It seems like manual also doesnt have any information on this so im clueless.

SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00000 (FXT2101Q)

to

Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW

Acer Aspire Switch 11 V SW5-173-61WR

6 minutes ago, csln said:

I am looking for information online for hours to find out if my acer does support this new ssd or not but i cant find it. It seems like manual also doesnt have any information on this so im clueless.

SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00000 (FXT2101Q)

to

Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW

I think your current drive is a SATA SSD, while the one you are planning to buy is an NVME.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If you know can you please link me a sata m2 which has close specs to this one?

2 minutes ago, csln said:

What is the model number of your laptop ? maybe the good people in this forum have or can look for more detailed info about it.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Acer Aspire Switch 11 V SW5-173-61WR

31 minutes ago, csln said:

I can't find really "concrete" info about the performance of your current drive, so I will have to rely on this link alone:

https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=SAMSUNG+MZNLF128HCHP-00000&id=9330

With that in mind, the following product spec should be within it's range if not better (if we're comparing just spec sheet speed).

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-sg/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd#WDS100T2B0B

But yeah, idk about compatibility or whatever. So you may want to wait until more people see this post and give you a more informed answer.

Sorry if my answer sounds unhelpful, mSATA era kinda went by so fast I didn't have time to really get into it.

Refresh before you reply

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Sorry if my answer sounds unhelpful, mSATA era kinda went by so fast I didn't have time to really get into it.

I presume you mean M.2 SATA as mSATA is actually a thing that exists (SATA over mini PCIe connector, the connector used before M.2).

Also the M.2 SATA era never really went anywhere, most motherboards and budget laptops still support it, its just kinda pointless using it if your motherboard supports PCIe given they're about the same price.  Typically I believe laptops, unlike desktops, do only support one or the other rather than being wired for either.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I presume you mean M.2 SATA as mSATA is actually a thing that exists (SATA over mini PCIe connector, the connector used before M.2).

Also the M.2 SATA era never really went anywhere, most motherboards and budget laptops still support it, its just kinda pointless using it if your motherboard supports PCIe given they're about the same price.  Typically I believe laptops, unlike desktops, do only support one or the other rather than being wired for either.

Yeah, I basically meant that it got overshadowed by NVME.

One day I heard about M.2 SATA then soon enough people talks about NVME all the time. 🤣

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

looking up the model numbers they posted in the first message, they are wondering is an old m.2 can be replaced with a new one. the new one looks like a 970 evo

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Yeah, I meant that it got overshadowed by NVME.

Indeed, pretty sure it was mainly developed for laptops and embedded devices using low-end SoC that lack enough PCIe lanes to have WiFi and NVMe.

As to the op, I see no reason why any random SATA M.2 drive wont work, its just SATA after all.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Indeed, pretty sure it was mainly developed for laptops and embedded devices using low-end SoC that lack enough PCIe lanes to have WiFi and NVMe.

I see. Thanks for the lesson. Learnt something new every day. ❤️

Anyway, staying on topic, maybe you can give advice, info, or answer to OP's question ?
I don't really know much about laptop world tbh, (only used laptop for like... 3 months now)

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I see. Thanks for the lesson. Learnt something new every day. ❤️

Anyway, staying on topic, maybe you can give advice, info, or answer to OP's question ?
I don't really know much about laptop world tbh, (only used laptop for like... 3 months now)

looking up the model number. it looks likes its actually a 2 in 1 from 2015. 

At the end i bought this one,

https://www.twinmos.com/product/twinmos-m-2-2280-ssd-sataiii/

i doubt this will be reliable for long time but i literally couldn't find a seller selling other brand of M2 Sata ssd in my region.

I am still waiting for it to arrive but i hope my laptop supports it.

Anyways here is some pics i took inside the laptopIMG_20221216_192555.thumb.jpg.e58d8a42ea81db793f95c54089170cf2.jpg

IMG_20221216_192548.thumb.jpg.c046b8d8c4f13bcd525f1c89ee296054.jpg

Also this model actually supports an external sata ssd or hdd in the keyboard compartment but apparently pcb under my keyboard has some missing parts. Actually i really like this laptop it was really cool when it first launched but sometimes it feels very tiring to use because of its 0.80 ghz cpu, because of that i am using it with arch linux for some time, i would like to replace it with something with higher specs but it looks like i will not be able to do that for some time, thats why i decided to do a ssd upgrade.

Thank you guys for your support i will post an update when the ssd arrives.